Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

3M CR90 Film - Windshield install problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3M CR90 Film - Windshield install problems

Hi, everyone!

First observation: Searching for threads related to window film yield results all over the forum. This is understandable, as I haven't found a place where it explicitly mentions window film. -- Is there any officially "right" place to post on tint?

Now, onto the real issue:

Like many other states, TX doesn't like windshield tinting. They will allow a very mild tint, though. As a result, I had my eye on the 3M film that would give me great UV protection and just a shade of tint. I went to one of the longer serving tint places(Sunray Customs - Keller) in the Fort Worth portion of DFW and they did a great job installing my Huper Optik 35 on the other windows, but the 3M gave them heck on the windshield, getting little creases and folds near the corners.

Saying that they did a great job on the windows needs a little explanation. They computer cut the film, but one of the techs didn't realize this and started to cut it by hand on the window. The resulting scratch wasn't huge, but it was definitely noticeable. The manager brought it up to me right away and said that he would be ordering a new OEM window to replace it asap. They really bent over backward to make sure that the job was done right.

The replacement window came this week and we took the car back to Sunray. This time, they had the 3M rep. along for the ride. Apparently, something gave them fits again today. The good news is that the replacement window looks like it came OEM with 35% tint. Perhaps there is merit to the removal of windows for tinting after all! (only slight sarcasm on this as it really does look good).

The second attempt at completing the windshield was also unsuccessful. Has anyone else had a similar experience with this?

I will get the lowdown from the shop tomorrow on the circumstances and verify the specific tint. I have attached the tint specs in case you are interested.

Do I have any other options that won't result in a ticket, yet block 99.9% of the UV?

Thanks for reading such a long post.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
3M_Windowtint.pdf (47.3 KB, 236 views)
Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 AM
javisaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm from high school physics class doesn't glass reflect UV light on its own?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by javisaman
Hmm from high school physics class doesn't glass reflect UV light on its own?
I doesn't reflect all of it, which is a contributing factor to damage to the interior surfaces. The tint would also cut about 14% more visible light and reduce heat gain by 19%. The heat gain reduction is a big benefit in Texas.