Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

New black G37 - where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 01:47 AM
ExtraCrispy
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New black G37 - where to start?

I'm new to this whole detailing thing, and after reading up on this I have some questions.

- does a new car still need clay bar/polishing or any other treatment?

I was planning on using either Ultima Paint Guard Plus or Opti-seal, both of which are highly recommended.

- Once this is done, what goes on top? e.g. should I use something like Optimum Car Wax is a spray wax made with real carnauba and synthetic paint sealants for protection & shine! high-grade carnauba wax and silicone

- what do I need to maintain the finish? Car wash+spray on wax every few weeks?
e.g. Duragloss Aquawax (AW) #951 - I read this can be applied while car is wet.

- black gets dirty every day! Is there a way to minimize this? Do you use a duster every morning?

And finally, I know everyone here washes their own cars but my apt doesn't have water hose. Should I just take it to a hand car wash?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by ExtraCrispy
I'm new to this whole detailing thing, and after reading up on this I have some questions.

- does a new car still need clay bar/polishing or any other treatment?

I was planning on using either Ultima Paint Guard Plus or Opti-seal, both of which are highly recommended.

- Once this is done, what goes on top? e.g. should I use something like Optimum Car Wax

- what do I need to maintain the finish? Car wash+spray on wax every few weeks?
e.g. Duragloss Aquawax (AW) #951 - I read this can be applied while car is wet.

- black gets dirty every day! Is there a way to minimize this? Do you use a duster every morning?

And finally, I know everyone here washes their own cars but my apt doesn't have water hose. Should I just take it to a hand car wash?

Thanks for all the help!
Many new cars can benefit from using a clay bar because they accumulate contamination and often rail dust during the transit of the vehicle. I'd highly recommend using a gentle fine grade bar on the soft Infiniti paint. Depending on if the clay mars the finish or if the dealership gave you any complimentary swirls, then that will determine if you want to polish your paint. Look at your paint in direct sun, under florescent lighting or any other revealing light source to determine if you need to polish. I'd recommend a very light polish, nothing more than Menzerna Power Finish or Meguiar's M205 on new paint unless there are serious defects that need to be addressed.

Opti-Seal + Optimum Car Wax is a great combo, you should be pleased with that. You may want to consider some Optimum Instant Detailer for the washes that you don't plan on waxing.

For your hoseless washing, stock up on some Optimum No Rinse.

For further reading, check out our auto detailing guide and our Ask-A-Pro section for some great detailing information.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:15 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Since you're starting on fresh black paint, read up on how to wash. Two bucket method, proper microfiber tools, etc.

Having the right stuff and knowing how to use it with a brand new black car can prevent a lot of spiderwebbing down the road.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by cruzmisl
Since you're starting on fresh black paint, read up on how to wash. Two bucket method, proper microfiber tools, etc.

Having the right stuff and knowing how to use it with a brand new black car can prevent a lot of spiderwebbing down the road.
+1 well said. Here are a few articles and how-to's worth reading:

Washing & Drying Guide
How to Properly Wash & Dry a Car
Grit Guard 2x4 Wash Method
Old 04-13-2010, 05:13 PM
ExtraCrispy
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to order stuff and this is what I plan to do -

Initial - full wash, 2 coats of Opti-seal, top with Otptimum car wax
every few weeks - wash with ONR, top with OCW or Instant Detailer, since both look easy to apply.

What about duster on the car every few days? Still need to figure out what to use on wheels/tires.