Sponsored by:

Help interior detail - Back to deep black

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 07:17 PM
sharmelan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help interior detail - Back to deep black

I have a 2013 G37x with black interior.

Let me start of by saying, no the interior isn't getting damaged. Rather the detailing the the dealer did at the time of car purchase is fading off.

I have noticed that the car does not have deeper black interior on places where I often touch, such as door handles, or where my legs rub against on right. So I am wondering what is it that the dealer used that made the interior looks brand spanking new and super black. I tried using, the standard armorall as well as armorall detailer for no luck.

Please help.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:18 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Armorall is a no no. That stuff has oils or silicone which over time will damage your interior. I use aerospace 303, it won't leave a shine like armorall but it helps protect from sun damage.
The following users liked this post:
sharmelan (08-06-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 04:04 PM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Tint + Leather cleaner/conditioner. Don't use a stripping agent.

http://www.armorallstpstore.com/prod...-care-gel-18oz
sharmelan (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 01:11 AM
WolfSongX

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
There's a good chance it's just dirt.
I use a natural boars hair bush like these:Clean Vent Kit

With a citrus based interior cleaner, followed up by a leather protectant or UV protectant for plastic.

The trick with the brush is to spray the cleaner into the bristles and use circular motions overlapping until the cleaner foams up, this will bring all the dirt in the pores of the material to the surface so you can wipe it away with a microfiber towel. Do the panel a section at a time, maybe a square foot at a time. Don't let the foam dissipate or the dirt will be drawn back into the pores.

Then follow that up with your conditioner or protectant which should now sink into the pores and revitalize the material.

It's time consuming, but the results are well worth it, and you only need to do it once in a while. And it works on all surfaces.

I'll echo the sentiment that Armor All and other silicone based products are doing more harm than good.

I personally use:
DP Total Interior Cleaner for cleaning
DP Total Interior Cleaner cleans plastic, vinyl, leather, carpet, and upholstery without harsh solvents or caustic chemicals.

DP Surface Protectant for hard plastics
DP Interior Surface Protectant is a multi-surface shield for your vehicle’s interior. In addition to protectants, DP Interior Surface Protectant

Wolfgang Leather Conditioner for leather and vinyl
Wolfgang Leather Care Conditioner is a silky, lavish lotion that penetrates and nourishes leather of all ages, even surface- and vat-dyed leather.

But you can find things that work just as well at your local auto parts place. Invest in the brush though, other types of brushes with nylon can scratch, but natural fibers like boars hair and horse hair won't.

Hope this helps...
sharmelan (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 04:29 PM
sharmelan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am more curious on the paste or gel ? object that they used to detail my car before selling it to me. It made the whole interior like brand new, and shines great without too much gloss or oily residue.

Couldn't get the detailing department on phone to ask them straight. The hint that I know is, it left white colored dry substance in 2-3 of my speaker holes on the door.

Will this help you guys identify what it could have been?

Thanks for all the answers guys. Really appreciate it.