Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Winterizing my new G

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:37 AM
09G37xCpe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winterizing my new G

OK so I've searched and read as much as possible on prepping my new G for winter. I'm taking delivery on Weds so I don't have it yet but I plan on getting it prepared as soon as I can as our temps are starting to dip a little bit in Eastern PA. We should be sitting in the mid 50's for the next couple of weeks temp wise but I have a couple of questions for the masses:

1) How much work should I do considering I'm just taking delivery on it? I did read the thread about it sitting on the lot so it might be a good idea to start from the beginning with wash/clay/seal/wax but should I really do this? Since winter is fast approaching and unfortunately I'll have to have it out in some nasty weather (the rest of the week here is calling for rain as it is) I'm thinking I should just start from the start and get a good sealant on it once I get the first decent day (Sunday should be it.)

2) I've been reading up on product too but not sure what I should use for sealant/wax. It also seems like ONR will be the best to use during the winter to get the salt/snow off the exterior. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

3) If the car is outside and has snow on it what do you guys recommend doing about clearing the snow off? I don't want to scratch the paint or damage anything but sometimes they get covered pretty well and I'll need to clear them. I don't think the defrosters can do all the work?

TIA for your help. Can't wait to pick it up!
Old 10-12-2009, 10:53 AM
IronGuard

im a total noob when it comes to detailing, so i hope i bought the right products. i did one-stop shopping at Zaino, and bought their clay bar, All-in-one, non-abrasive Z-5 polish, and sealant. their products are super easy and take a fraction of the time to apply. only problem was their $100 price tag...

since i live in an apartment complex, ill have to wash my car at a self-service station, then use the Zaino products. i might apply a nice carnauba wax on top of the sealant if im not satisfied with the aforementioned products. the sealant should last at least 6 months and get me through the winter.

i also emailed our local Ventureshield/3M agent. he said we will discuss the matter in detail tomorrow. but i think the blue slate color might be a problem for the clear bra. darker colors dont work so well.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:38 AM
09G37xCpe

Iron where's your 3M place? I emailed Sun & Shade in Skippack (since I'm up in the LV they seem to be the closest reputable place.)
Old 10-12-2009, 01:09 PM
IronGuard

i looked up the certified Ventureshield installers for PA, and there's one in Bala Cynwyd. the weird thing is they do 3M now, but theyre still listed on the Ventureshield website. i guess it's not a big deal since Ventureshield was bought out by 3M.

he said he had done 3 G37s last week. i find comfort that he was certified, but im sure there are many quality installers with just as much, or more experience.

what did Sun & Shade quote you?
Old 10-12-2009, 02:08 PM
09G37xCpe

Haven't gotten the numbers back yet. As soon as I do I'll let you know. They seem to have done some pretty decent work. They have a website 3M Paint Protection Film, 3M Window Tint, 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber, Auto Detailing, Headlight Restoration, Skippack PA, Collegeville Pa here.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:40 PM
IronGuard

nice find! sun & shade are certified as well, so i emailed them for a quote. if you go with them, dont forget to use their coupon for 10% off installation once they provide the quote.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:26 PM
IronGuard

just wanted to say my dealer just told me the car is in! i will be driving my new baby in a few hours! WOOT!
Old 10-12-2009, 04:02 PM
09G37xCpe

WOO HOO!!! Congrats! I can't wait!
Old 10-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Don@Migliore
Former Sponsor

Congrats on the new car!

Originally Posted by 09G37xCpe
OK so I've searched and read as much as possible on prepping my new G for winter. I'm taking delivery on Weds so I don't have it yet but I plan on getting it prepared as soon as I can as our temps are starting to dip a little bit in Eastern PA. We should be sitting in the mid 50's for the next couple of weeks temp wise but I have a couple of questions for the masses:

1) How much work should I do considering I'm just taking delivery on it? I did read the thread about it sitting on the lot so it might be a good idea to start from the beginning with wash/clay/seal/wax but should I really do this? Since winter is fast approaching and unfortunately I'll have to have it out in some nasty weather (the rest of the week here is calling for rain as it is) I'm thinking I should just start from the start and get a good sealant on it once I get the first decent day (Sunday should be it.)

Yes! No car is an exception to the process, really. As you can imagine, cars go through a lot before they end up in customers driveways. It's really not bad at all for detailing in the 50s. I often ONR my winter DD when it's in the 20s .

2) I've been reading up on product too but not sure what I should use for sealant/wax. It also seems like ONR will be the best to use during the winter to get the salt/snow off the exterior. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I would layer a sealant below a long lasting carnauba. We've seen excellent durability in our line (Migliore) compared to other 'nubas. I personally love Opti-Seal by Optimum for a sealant.

3) If the car is outside and has snow on it what do you guys recommend doing about clearing the snow off? I don't want to scratch the paint or damage anything but sometimes they get covered pretty well and I'll need to clear them. I don't think the defrosters can do all the work?

Honestly, I haven't seen any cure-all for snow removal. Just try your best to have as little contact with you paint at all time. I guess this is just one downside of having a nice vehicle as a DD.

TIA for your help. Can't wait to pick it up!
Old 10-12-2009, 05:29 PM
09G37xCpe

Thanks Don! Those 20's are coming...I know all too well! I'll look for your rec's on sealant and wax. Do you have a specific nuba that you recommend from your line to last the longest through our craptacular northeast winter? Just trying to get the right stuff on the car before it gets nasty out. I have a feeling I'll be a very busy ONR guy this winter.

I mean I could go back to driving the G20 for a few months...or not!
Old 10-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Don@Migliore
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 09G37xCpe
Thanks Don! Those 20's are coming...I know all too well! I'll look for your rec's on sealant and wax. Do you have a specific nuba that you recommend from your line to last the longest through our craptacular northeast winter? Just trying to get the right stuff on the car before it gets nasty out. I have a feeling I'll be a very busy ONR guy this winter.

I mean I could go back to driving the G20 for a few months...or not!
I personally feel Primo is the best bang for the buck. If that's not in your budget, our Original or Frutta blend will still do a great job. I think you'll find our waxes very unique in the sense that you can almost feel the protection on the vehicle. Some call our waxes heavy, as they are more noticeable in application and protection than others.