Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Scared to claybar my OB

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:40 PM
gonpostal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scared to claybar my OB

I tested the mirrors with the clay bar with lots of lube, and left some long fine scratches on it, I didnt even put any pressure when gliding it to the paint. Any advice on how to clay bar an OB?
Old 10-08-2009, 11:13 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use a clean clay bar and the proper lubricant. also, if u drop the claybar you gotta throw it away and use another.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:34 PM
HamstersG

^ Agree. I have done it. Works great, but hope you plan on full polish when you are done with clay bar. If not, then don't do it.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:43 PM
IronGuard

do you use a porter cable to polish? i would think the polish would strip the scratch shield off the car. but i know a lot of people here use the porter cable to detail their car so it probably doesn't.

and what products do you use? thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You WILL put scratches when you clay it. All you can do is be as careful as possible to minimize them and polish them out afterward.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:05 AM
gonpostal

Originally Posted by oOmikeyboy
Use a clean clay bar and the proper lubricant. also, if u drop the claybar you gotta throw it away and use another.
The clay bar that i uses was brand new, never dropped or anything. I think that when the clay catches the contaminates, it stays on the clay while your rubbing it and causes scratches.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:08 AM
gonpostal

I hear on our 09's with Self Healing Coat we cant cut the paint with a orange or puple wool pad. Anyone tried menzerna final polish with a white pad? Hopefully that would take out the light scratches. One more question, sorry im a newbie detailer, I havnt put any sealant/wax since I bought the car, should I even bother applying sealant/wax if i dont claybar it?

Last edited by gonpostal; 10-09-2009 at 12:11 AM. Reason: additions
Old 10-09-2009, 12:18 AM
Loi

Originally Posted by gonpostal
I hear on our 09's with Self Healing Coat we cant cut the paint with a orange or puple wool pad. Anyone tried menzerna final polish with a white pad? Hopefully that would take out the light scratches. One more question, sorry im a newbie detailer, I havnt put any sealant/wax since I bought the car, should I even bother applying sealant/wax if i dont claybar it?
You should/can always have a nice layer of sealant and/or wax on your car, claybaring and polishing would make the sealant/wax bond/shine a lot better though.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:44 AM
Don@Migliore
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Loi
You should/can always have a nice layer of sealant and/or wax on your car, claybaring and polishing would make the sealant/wax bond/shine a lot better though.
+1
Old 10-09-2009, 08:59 AM
HamstersG

You might want to start with one of several detailing guides. And then there are a very very helpful vendors on the forum that can address the more complex questions. Here is one of the guides.

Detailing Guide
Old 10-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Seer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If using a Fine grade claybar and the surface is good, you won't need to polish as the Fine bars won't marr.

If using an aggressive bar, break out the polisher.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:33 AM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Use soapy water with Clay for better lubrication. You do not need a specific lubricant.

When claying try to do a 1X1 foot area and remold the clay before you move to another section.

Also claying usually is followed by a hi-speed buff to remove light scrathes and swirl marks then you wax it after then you can also put a sealant over it.

PRO DETAIL STAGES:

1) Wash car with DAWN soap to remove wax.
2) Hand dry car to remove city water
3) Clay entire car
4) Hi-speed buff entire car ( this has stages depending on condition of paint form compounds to glazes to do this you'll need experiences and this: Amazon.com: DEWALT DW849 8.0 Amp 7-Inch/9-Inch Electronic Variable Speed Right Angle Polisher: Home Improvement - I used this for Years on Ferrari's, Porsche's and Lotus cars for clients at a local Exotic dealership and its IMO the best hi-speed polisher out there - it has variable speed trigger a big plus. I recommend if you buy this to read tutorials on how to use. You can burn/damage your paint if not careful very easily.)
5) Wax Car
6) Put on a sealant

Est: time about 8-10 hours of work. All day event.

PS: Please read the tutorial up top "Detailing and Caring for your ride" to get much more details if you want to do this professionally it takes time, money and a lot of your effort.

Last edited by Xcalibur; 10-14-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Seer
If using a Fine grade claybar and the surface is good, you won't need to polish as the Fine bars won't marr.

If using an aggressive bar, break out the polisher.
I have a little experience with detailing and can tell you from personal experience that it's next to impossible to clay this finish even with a fine grade clay and gentle pressure without inducing some fine scratches. I have a BO and have used different clays to experiment with this very issue. I never got the job done without putting at least some scratches in the finish. Maybe i'ts just me.

Originally Posted by Xcalibur
Use soapy water with Clay for better lubrication. You do not need a specific lubricant.

When claying try to do a 1X1 foot area and remold the clay before you move to another section.

Also claying usually is followed by a hi-speed buff to remove light scrathes and swirl marks then you wax it after then you can also put a sealant over it.

PRO DETAIL STAGES:

1) Wash car with DAWN soap to remove wax.
2) Hand dry car to remove city water
3) Clay entire car
4) Hi-speed buff entire car ( this has stages depending on condition of paint form compounds to glazes to do this you'll need experiences and this: Amazon.com: DEWALT DW849 8.0 Amp 7-Inch/9-Inch Electronic Variable Speed Right Angle Polisher: Home Improvement - I used this for Years on Ferrari's, Porsche's and Lotus cars for clients at a local Exotic dealership and its IMO the best hi-speed polisher out there - it has variable speed trigger a big plus. I recommend if you buy this to read tutorials on how to use. You can burn/damage your paint if not careful very easily.)
5) Wax Car
6) Put on a sealant

Est: time about 8-10 hours of work. All day event.

PS: Please read the tutorial up top "Detailing and Caring for your ride" to get much more details if you want to do this professionally it takes time, money and a lot of your effort.
I would NOT recommend using Dawn to wash the car or using a rotary polisher for someone who isn't quite experienced. It will end badly.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:50 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

You are right BB, last time I asked Dawn to wash my car my wife came home at the wrong time and it ended badly.....
Old 10-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Raizon

-1 on using Dawn soap. It does break down wax and sealant really well but messes up the trims. Dawn sucks up all the moisture in the rubber trims making them look dry.

I suggest using a more safe concentrated car wash soap like Chemical Guys Citrus Wash to remove old wax and sealants.

Quick Reply: Scared to claybar my OB