Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Scared to claybar my OB

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Why not Dawn? Never had a problem with it. We are only using this like once every year or 2 for this procedure. On my car this is a once a year thing. Trims always get dressed as part of my detail. So I never see any issue at hand.

And yes the hi-speed polisher can be a disaster if you don't know how to use it(noted in post). But this one like few has a variable speed trigger so even the newbies can get started with it. They can start of with a slow speed and gradually get the hang of it and increase speed when comfortable (videos online on how to use this). It is newbie friendly.

Now on those that don't have a variable speed a newbie will destroy his paint.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I was presuming that the OP had never used a polisher before and doesn't have one. If that's the case, I think that it's definitely better to learn with a random orbital than a rotary, even with a variable speed trigger. As far as the Dawn, yes, it's great for stripping LSP and I used to use it myself. I have since read various sources on the Net that advise against it because it dries and degrades rubber and plastic. If you are using it once a year on your G and have no problems, kudos.

+1 on the CG Citrus Wash, I have it and it does a great job and seems to have more lubricity than Dawn too. Concentrated it does a great job of stripping wax/sealant. I prefer to use 50/50 IPA though - cheap and effective.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Yeah I've heard the conflict with dawn. But if you are also detailing all the trims it shouldn't be an issue after all they need love too

But use the Citrus wash especially since its designed for it. I'm just old school and grew up using Dawn.

The high speed buffer really IMO should be done by a professional if your clueless about detailing a car. But If you want to invest your time in learning the trade to save money and do it yourself I highly recommended the investment in learning and purchasing this particular product.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:11 PM
amoney805

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
As far as I know clay bars are not to be used on self healing paint for the first two years since it is so soft. After two years its hardens, making clay barring doable.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:29 PM
gonpostal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Xcalibur
Use soapy water with Clay for better lubrication. You do not need a specific lubricant.

When claying try to do a 1X1 foot area and remold the clay before you move to another section.

Also claying usually is followed by a hi-speed buff to remove light scrathes and swirl marks then you wax it after then you can also put a sealant over it.

PRO DETAIL STAGES:

1) Wash car with DAWN soap to remove wax.
2) Hand dry car to remove city water
3) Clay entire car
4) Hi-speed buff entire car ( this has stages depending on condition of paint form compounds to glazes to do this you'll need experiences and this: Amazon.com: DEWALT DW849 8.0 Amp 7-Inch/9-Inch Electronic Variable Speed Right Angle Polisher: Home Improvement - I used this for Years on Ferrari's, Porsche's and Lotus cars for clients at a local Exotic dealership and its IMO the best hi-speed polisher out there - it has variable speed trigger a big plus. I recommend if you buy this to read tutorials on how to use. You can burn/damage your paint if not careful very easily.)
5) Wax Car
6) Put on a sealant

Est: time about 8-10 hours of work. All day event.

PS: Please read the tutorial up top "Detailing and Caring for your ride" to get much more details if you want to do this professionally it takes time, money and a lot of your effort.
stages 5 and 6, wouldnt that be swithced. glaze, sealant, and wax last?
Old 10-14-2009, 05:33 PM
gonpostal

Originally Posted by amoney805
As far as I know clay bars are not to be used on self healing paint for the first two years since it is so soft. After two years its hardens, making clay barring doable.
so us 09ners just have to glaze, sealant, and wax, and no clay bar right?
Old 10-14-2009, 06:08 PM
gthal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gonpostal
I agree... wax under a sealant would dramatically reduce the durability of the sealant...
Old 10-14-2009, 06:13 PM
gthal

so us 09ners just have to glaze, sealant, and wax, and no clay bar right?
I have clayed and used the PC with Menzerna PO203 on a white pad on my '09. Results were great. I would be nervous to use an aggressive pad/polish combo with the new clear coat (at least until someone else becomes the test car first ) but a light cut/finishing step worked well for me. YMMV.

Proper paint prep (claying, etc) is really important relative to the durability of a sealant. A sealant over a properly prepped surface will last much longer in my experience.

With respect to Dawn, that is something that the Zaino guys have been doing for some time. However, it seems to be highly frowned on by many professional detailers as it can dry out trim and rubber. There are a lot of great auto shampoos (CG has a few) that will completely strip wax and sealant if used at full strength so the Dawn thing isn't really necessary IMO.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:25 PM
gonpostal

Originally Posted by gthal
I have clayed and used the PC with Menzerna PO203 on a white pad on my '09. Results were great. I would be nervous to use an aggressive pad/polish combo with the new clear coat (at least until someone else becomes the test car first ) but a light cut/finishing step worked well for me. YMMV.

Proper paint prep (claying, etc) is really important relative to the durability of a sealant. A sealant over a properly prepped surface will last much longer in my experience.

With respect to Dawn, that is something that the Zaino guys have been doing for some time. However, it seems to be highly frowned on by many professional detailers as it can dry out trim and rubber. There are a lot of great auto shampoos (CG has a few) that will completely strip wax and sealant if used at full strength so the Dawn thing isn't really necessary IMO.
Thanks man! now i can buy a Flex, I was just paranoid because of the self healing paint.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:44 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

YES! Thanks for the correction! I'm sorry not to put in that detail.The last stage is to:

a) put sealant then wax
- or -
b) Wax only

Some people (cough cough one of em)argue that putting wax alone is fine if you plan on a once a month wax period. Well I dont want to debate this lol! I'm just trying to point out some facts. If you guys want full details please read ths section of the forums DIY and other topics because after all IMO its what the public says that's good advice and not an individuals.

PS: My choice on my car is wax no sealant since I wax once a month. (Car is kept outside)

Last edited by Xcalibur; 10-14-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:38 PM
gonpostal

After polishing, would you have to wash the car again then apply the glaze, sealant and wax?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

^^ Wipe car clean with microfiber towel using isa water before the sealant/wax. When it comes to polishing this is whole new topic since it depends on the condition of your paint to the different compounds etc. you will need to use in there various stages.

Please read this great DIY: https://www.myg37.com/forums/car-car...your-ride.html

Last edited by Xcalibur; 10-15-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
what is a good claybar that a newbie can use? something that is not too agressive
Old 10-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Presto
what is a good claybar that a newbie can use? something that is not too agressive
Try the Gentle Fine Grade DI Clay paired up with some Dodo Juice Born Slippy, ONR or Poorboy's Spray & Wipe as clay lube. All three of those should be diluted as a clay lube, so I'd suggest picking up a 22 oz trigger spray bottle for easy measuring. It has the ounces marked off on the side so you know how much product / water to add. 10:1 for Born Slippy, 6:1 for ONR, 1:1 for Spray & Wipe.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:00 AM
jeffyb

Where are you guys seeing we shouldn't claybar the self healing paint? I haven't been able to find any information saying it's bad to do :/

Quick Reply: Scared to claybar my OB