Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

First polish/wax

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
You really need a selant on top before the wax. A wax is only good for a couple weeks. A sealant will last 3-6 months.
It's a matter of personal choice. What you said is correct, wax lasts maybe a month and sealant lasts up to 3 to 6 months, but many people feel that wax only gives more depth to the finish than with a sealant underneath.

Personally I like the wax over sealant look myself as well. Sealant usually looks shinier and more reflective, wax looks deeper and wetter.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Don@Migliore
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
You really need a selant on top before the wax. A wax is only good for a couple weeks. A sealant will last 3-6 months.
Not necessarily true. It really depends on the wax.

Scott, $75.00 is pretty cheap. Just make sure he's reputable. There are a lot of good detailers toward the Boston area. I wouldn't recommend going to a car dealership, if that's what you're doing.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Nobes

Thanks, Don.

This is definitely not a dealer, but it is a regular car wash place with a detailing shop attached. They said they would hand wash it, then clay, then wax. I will ask for sealant as well.

PS> If you know of reputable guys in the Boston area, please let me know about them. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Don@Migliore
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nobes
Thanks, Don.

This is definitely not a dealer, but it is a regular car wash place with a detailing shop attached. They said they would hand wash it, then clay, then wax. I will ask for sealant as well.

PS> If you know of reputable guys in the Boston area, please let me know about them. Thanks.
Check out Unique Car Care - located in Wakefield, MA. They're one of the best in the country.

You would want to contact Rick at Rickrack79@hotmail.com.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Nobes

Don,

Thank you so much for the recommendation. I will surely check into him. Today I decided to give the detailer in my parking garage a try. He said he'd wash, clay, polish, apply sealant and wax (and wheels/rims, of course) for $130. I asked him what type of wax he uses. His simple answer was Carnauba paste. I don't know if that's good or not. I do see this detailer doing lambos, on accassional Lotus, Aston Martins etc.. so I feel a little better.

Is there any sure-fire way to tell if clay and sealant had been applied? I only ask because he just kept saying "yes, yes" when I asked about these things but then when I looked at his brochure later it says they are all in addition to the normal $130 price.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Don@Migliore
Former Sponsor

Sadly, there isn't a sure way to tell if a sealant has been applied. You can tell if your paint has been clayed by noting if there are any bonded contaminants. You can also tell by the plastic bag trick Betty explained above.

FYI, here is a detail by Unique Car Care:

Trashed Black SRT-8 Jeep Cherokee by Unique Car Care - Autopia.org
Old 09-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Nobes

Okay, thanks. I'm not sure what they did. The car looks sweet but I told them I didn't need the interior done and they did it anyway so something tells me they weren't understanding me very well. Oh well, bonus for me as far as the interior goes, I guess!

Thanks for that link. I actually saw that today when I googled Unique Car Care. Those guys definitely seem professional and awesome. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:27 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Any pics of how it turned out?