Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

First polish/wax

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Nobes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First polish/wax

Hey. Sorry if this has been asked a lot. I searched but couldn't find a thread.
I have a 5 month-old G37x and I'm not sure when I should do the first polish/wax on it. It doesn't look like it needs it now but I wonder if I should get it ready before winter. Is there a consensus on how long you should wait before detailing a new car? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yup you should get it done ASAP. New cars don't come with any kind of worthy protection from the factory. Get her clayed, polished, and waxed at least
Old 09-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Michelangelo

I did mine when it was a couple weeks old (right after my Detailed Image order showed up). I wanted to get the sealant on it as soon as I could. That was about six months ago so it's due again, right in time for winter.

There's a huge thread called "Ask a Professional Detailer" that contains pretty much everything you need to know. Do a search for it and you'll be amply rewarded.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Raizon

I detailed my car within the month I brought it. The cars sit outside in their lots for weeks or months with basic car washes. There will be containment buildup. Get your baby washed, clayed, polished, and sealed for the winter. A good sealant will give you 6 months of protection which will last through most of your winter.

The link below has alot of good information on how to detail your car. It also has steps to take to prepare your car for winter on thread #9.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/car-car...your-ride.html
Old 09-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Don@Migliore
Former Sponsor

Nobes,

You should/can detail your car immediately after purchase. There is various debris/fallout that comes in contact with the paint during transportation.

Take a look at our Migliore waxes as your LSP (last step product). They have extremely good longevity for a carnauba, as well as a super deep shine. There are plenty of reviews on Migliore right here on MyG37.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Nobes

Oh my God! Thank you guys so much. I obviously had no idea. I will absolutely take care of that. I spoke with a detailer in my garage today and he said I didn't need any clay since it was less than 6 months old. I will tell him I want it anyway. I actually am very interested in doing the whole thing myself (I've watched a tone of videos and read a ton of posts on here that have been so helpful) but I'm afraid I just don't have the time. So I guess I'll pay for it. Wish I knew someone I could trust to do a solid job.

Thanks again, guys. This is an eye-opener!

PS> Like everyone else here, I love my G37 so ****ing much!!!! Best auto purchase I ever made.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:24 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

Originally Posted by Nobes
Oh my God! Thank you guys so much. I obviously had no idea. I will absolutely take care of that. I spoke with a detailer in my garage today and he said I didn't need any clay since it was less than 6 months old. I will tell him I want it anyway. I actually am very interested in doing the whole thing myself (I've watched a tone of videos and read a ton of posts on here that have been so helpful) but I'm afraid I just don't have the time. So I guess I'll pay for it. Wish I knew someone I could trust to do a solid job.

PS> Like everyone else here, I love my G37 so ****ing much!!!! Best auto purchase I ever made.
Where are you from? You should let someone who knows what there doing work on your car.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:28 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do it the day you bring the car home.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Nobes

Your detailer is dead wrong about this I assure you. Here's proof: Put your hand inside a thin plastic sandwich bag. Lightly rub it along the surface of your car after it's washed. You will feel the embedded contaminants that clay will take off your paint. It comes off the truck this way. Even better, buy some clay and lube and clay half of your hood and leave the other side not clayed. When you feel the difference between one side and the other, you won't believe it!

Lear now to properly wash your car (this makes the biggest difference). Clay for certain. Polish if needed (it probably is as our paint is super soft). Seal or wax or both to protect it from the elements. I have used almost every polish Don@Migliore makes and they all work great. Some good detailing tutorials and information at Detailed Image as well.

Migliore: Luxury Car Care
Auto Detailing Guide - Detailed Image
Old 09-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Nobes

Originally Posted by NIGHTLFEphantom
Where are you from? You should let someone who knows what there doing work on your car.
I would love to. Live in Worcester County, MA. Work in Boston. If anyone knows of good detailers in these areas, please let me know. Thanks!
Old 09-25-2009, 11:47 PM
flipside6400

I just had mine done in Charlotte, NC the car was a couple weeks old. You wont believe what a good detail(clay polish seal wax ) will do for your car , it will never look better and will finally be protected
Old 09-26-2009, 01:10 AM
Don@Migliore
Former Sponsor

I'm about 1-1.5 hours away in CT. I'm not sure if it would be worth the drive for you.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Nobes

Originally Posted by Don@Migliore
I'm about 1-1.5 hours away in CT. I'm not sure if it would be worth the drive for you.

Thanks Don. I'm gonna check a few more guys out in my area but 1.5 hours away in CT could work. I go to Southern CT all the time. Are you near Fairfield county?
Old 09-26-2009, 04:38 PM
Nobes

Went to several detailers in my area. All but one looked at me like a freak when I asked about using a clay bar! Wow. The guy I am going to use offered it up without me even mentioning it which made me feel good. He also said though that I don't need compounding/polishing just yet as there are no swirls or micro-scratches in the paint yet. I don't see any either but I'm not a pro. So he's gonna wash, clay and wax for $75. Does that seem good? It did to me. Anything else I should specifically ask for? He did show me the wax he'd be using. It was thick and semi-soft like melted candle wax that had been cooling for sometime but was not hard yet.

I can't thank you guys enough for all the help you provided me with already. I truly appreciate it.

-Scott
Old 09-26-2009, 04:47 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
You really need a selant on top before the wax. A wax is only good for a couple weeks. A sealant will last 3-6 months.

Quick Reply: First polish/wax