Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Once again, NEVER let the dealer wash your car...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 05:09 AM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Once again, NEVER let the dealer wash your car...

I know I've seen threads about this before, but I have to vent. I took my car in for an oil change on Friday and I just noticed when I got home that my roof line has a bunch of scratches on it. I know for sure they weren't there before, at least from the last time I washed my car. I use MF towels very carefully to dry my car.

I guess some polish should be able to fix all that, but has anyone went back to the dealership and complained? I still have two more oil changes left and plan on using them, sans the car wash.

Argh!!!
Old 03-02-2008, 08:10 AM
SPOHN
From Z to G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's the reason I'm the only one to wash my car. But being black, it's bound to happen (scratches). The day I bought the car, they wanted to wash it then. I said NO. But, I even wont let the dealer put air in my tires. I don't trust them at all.

I noticed the other day detailing my car. That even if you apply to much pressure with a MF towel/rag, it will leave small scratches in the clearcoat. Nothing much a easy wax job couln't get out. But the paint on this car is so soft.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:39 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say don't sweat the small stuff guys. Its a car, its going to get scratched no matter what you do. Hell, I take mine to the regular car wash all the time. Sure there are some minor scratches in the clearcoat that you can't even see unless the light hits it, but so what? These things are meant to be enjoyed, not obsessed over.....
Old 03-02-2008, 02:24 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I say don't sweat the small stuff guys. Its a car, its going to get scratched no matter what you do. Hell, I take mine to the regular car wash all the time. Sure there are some minor scratches in the clearcoat that you can't even see unless the light hits it, but so what? These things are meant to be enjoyed, not obsessed over.....
I agree! Next time ask them not to wash your car. Remember Infiniti will go above what other dealers will do to make you happy and one of those things is washing the car.

Last edited by bboysteele; 03-02-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:31 PM
chasemyaccord

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Umm no. It's not those small cat hair like scratches, I know those happen. These are worse, as if there was a grain of sand stuck to a towel and the person drying it was pushing down kinda hard against the paint. I'm going to do a more thorough examination in a lil bit, but like you said, I don't sweat the scratches I can't avoid. But this one is beyond that.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:14 AM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Makes me glad i didnt get black... such a pain in the ***!!!!
Old 03-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Loi

my dealership has a bunch of people washing their cars.

Last edited by MaxToTheG37; 03-04-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Orbie

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
Umm no. It's not those small cat hair like scratches, I know those happen. These are worse, as if there was a grain of sand stuck to a towel and the person drying it was pushing down kinda hard against the paint. I'm going to do a more thorough examination in a lil bit, but like you said, I don't sweat the scratches I can't avoid. But this one is beyond that.
I have to agree, the small swirl marks will probably eventually happen no matter what. But the scratches I've received from the dealership on my G35 were almost the equivalent of someone keying your car. Minor scratches will happen, whether being through washing or driving through a dust storm who knows...but these types of major scratches (completely visible no matter what lighting) are something that can be avoided. So it's especially painful when it's the result of a service someone is providing to help maintain the look of your car.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Rambo

Originally Posted by Orbie
I have to agree, the small swirl marks will probably eventually happen no matter what. But the scratches I've received from the dealership on my G35 were almost the equivalent of someone keying your car. Minor scratches will happen, whether being through washing or driving through a dust storm who knows...but these types of major scratches (completely visible no matter what lighting) are something that can be avoided. So it's especially painful when it's the result of a service someone is providing to help maintain the look of your car.
I drove from SoCal to Arizona to watch some Spring Training games and got caught in a dust storm coming back this past weekend. The whole front of my car looks like complete crap now even after getting it washed. I'm going to need to take it to a detailer to have it buffed, the paint is just way too soft. Even the grill is hazy, can I use chrome polish on that?

Last edited by Rambo; 03-04-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:14 AM
gsw

Whenever I buy new cars, I make it a point to let the sales guy know not to wash or detail the car.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:23 PM
chasemyaccord

Well I took it back and they buffed it out (I can still kinda notice it but it's not nearly as bad anymore). At least they offered to fix it without any argument.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:05 AM
G37rush

Sorry about your car. Next time, just have the service writer make clear to the crew NOT to wash the car. I'm sure they'll appreciate it too.