Canada Serving Canada.

beware of telling your insurance

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:10 PM
steve
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beware of telling your insurance

Beware In ontario of telling your insurance of any mods they will drop you and you will be off to facilty trust me this is no joke
Old 05-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Doggy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can we have the whole story in detail? Lol
Old 05-16-2011, 01:30 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah there's a lot more going on here. I know several with with lots of mods (superchargers, turbos, stroker kits, etc.) and they never had any problems with insurance. One guy even submitted receipts and had an inspector look at his car so he could list his mods on his insurance to have them covered too (of course he paid a higher premium for that).
Old 05-16-2011, 09:31 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
I don't think my insurance even knows what mods mean
Old 05-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Calgarywinger

Originally Posted by G37Sam
I don't think my insurance even knows what mods mean
You're right about that!
Car before the G had a number of mods, mostly cosmetic. Long story short, my boy was stopped at a red light when a pickup drove right into him. The kid was ok but the truck demolished the rear part of the car.
Insurance Co. refused to pay for any mods, instead they used the book value to determine whether they would fix the car (back to standard trim) or write it off.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:09 AM
steve
Registered Member

I went to put the car on the road foor the summer one of the questions they ask is there any mods done to the car as soon as i told them about the supercharger he said they could not insure the car anymore i started looking around and no one would insure it .
i call one company and told them that i had a dealer mod and got it.which the dealer did do the mod.
looking around on the net on ontario insurance board ans other web sites like this one i found this to be a growing problem in ontario.any mods are grounds for the insurer to cancel you and the only way to get insurance is in faclity
Old 05-22-2011, 11:22 PM
HP_John

I'm with State Farm, I was told a few yrs ago that if I did any aftermarket mods that they could void my coverage, not just that they wouldn't pay for the mods if anything happened, but that they could completely void my coverage. I was told my other option would be to go under facility insurance, which is much more expensive. I don't mod anything at all, just leave it all stock.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:55 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by steve
I went to put the car on the road foor the summer one of the questions they ask is there any mods done to the car as soon as i told them about the supercharger he said they could not insure the car anymore i started looking around and no one would insure it .
i call one company and told them that i had a dealer mod and got it.which the dealer did do the mod.
looking around on the net on ontario insurance board ans other web sites like this one i found this to be a growing problem in ontario.any mods are grounds for the insurer to cancel you and the only way to get insurance is in faclity
How old are you and do you have any prior insurace claims or tickets? I know a lot of guys that mod their cars and all insurance has ever told them is that they'll only cover the value of the stock vehicle unless they pay extra for a rider which will cover their mods.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:57 PM
J2S2M

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
^ You actually benefit when they pay you for the replacement of OEM parts rather than the aftermarket parts. Cost of OEM parts > Cost of most aftermarket parts
Old 05-25-2011, 06:21 PM
steve
Registered Member

i am 42 with a clean record driving 25 years