Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

G37s Sedan- longevity of brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 11:06 PM
SwiftKit
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool G37s Sedan- longevity of brakes

Hey guys, i've decided to shop for a Sport Sedan 6MT

I'm guessing replacement of brakes will be the most expensive part of owning the vehicle.

What's the longevity like? (Obviously it varies per driver), but how long do they last for you and what is your specific driving style? Trying to get an idea here

Also, what's the cost of purchasing new brakes? $1k+?

Anything extra I should look out for in terms of costs that are exclusive to the Sport Sedan? Thanks!

Edit: I forgot the clutch! Same questions, longevity, your style of driving, and cost of replacement?
Old 08-23-2020, 04:31 PM
hiddensalami
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SwiftKit
Hey guys, i've decided to shop for a Sport Sedan 6MT

I'm guessing replacement of brakes will be the most expensive part of owning the vehicle.

What's the longevity like? (Obviously it varies per driver), but how long do they last for you and what is your specific driving style? Trying to get an idea here

Also, what's the cost of purchasing new brakes? $1k+?

Anything extra I should look out for in terms of costs that are exclusive to the Sport Sedan? Thanks!

Edit: I forgot the clutch! Same questions, longevity, your style of driving, and cost of replacement?
Rockauto has the OEM pads available for around $50 for front, and $35 for the rear. As for rotors, I’m not sure. I would go OEM unless you’re going to be tracking the car, personally haven’t had any problems with the OEM brakes.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,430 Posts
The only thing more expensive about the sport brakes are the calipers. So if all you're doing is replacing pads and rotors, then it's not really that much more expensive than non-sports.

An un-abused clutch should last well into 100k miles. However, what is unlikely to last is the clutch slave cylinder. The OEM CSC, when matched to the OEM clutch pedal, is prone to failure. That's a full day's shop time because our CSC is inside the transmission housing.

You should be able to find a 2012 - 2013 G37S Sedan 6MT. Be patient and be willing to compromise on color.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:44 PM
SwiftKit
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hiddensalami
Rockauto has the OEM pads available for around $50 for front, and $35 for the rear. As for rotors, I’m not sure. I would go OEM unless you’re going to be tracking the car, personally haven’t had any problems with the OEM brakes.
Awesome, just a few weeks back I was also avoiding a Sport due to potential costs of brakes. Guess I had it all wrong.

Originally Posted by Rochester
The only thing more expensive about the sport brakes are the calipers. So if all you're doing is replacing pads and rotors, then it's not really that much more expensive than non-sports.

An un-abused clutch should last well into 100k miles. However, what is unlikely to last is the clutch slave cylinder. The OEM CSC, when matched to the OEM clutch pedal, is prone to failure. That's a full day's shop time because our CSC is inside the transmission housing.

You should be able to find a 2012 - 2013 G37S Sedan 6MT. Be patient and be willing to compromise on color.
That's a relief. Was expecting $1k+ cost. I had zero clue about CSC being prone to failure.
Compromising on color is going to be tough. It seems when searching for a Sport Sedan I'm either in a position where I have to 1. Compromise on color 2. Compromise on auto/manual 3. Compromise on year
I've yet to find one where there isn't anything to compromise on :P Though color will be the least of my worries with the 3

Thanks guys