Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

First time buying questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 02:09 PM
djsk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time buying questions.

Hey all,

This is my first time ever buying a new car from a dealer and have couple questions. So before going into the dealership, I will have an approved lender or bank to finance the car so I can take advantage of the $2,500 incentive.

So after you negotiate the final price of the car, I have a question on what happens afterwards. From reading the forums, it seems like you sit down with the finance manager and he tries to sell you the extended warranty and the maintenance package, and maybe the GAP. Is there anything else they try to sell you?

Now from reading the forums, it seems like the maintenance package is not worth it.

How about the extended warranty. Four years does seem low for what they currently offer. However I never owned a Nissan or an Infiniti before. What do you guys think? And how much does the extended warranty run for?

Is there anything else I’m missing?

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2009, 01:22 AM
InfiniDrew

First of all...keep in mind that "it all depends on your dealer." I've heard of dealers who do all the negotiations and were real helpful and I've also heard that when you really start to negotiate, the manager comes in and does all the negotiating. Recently, I've been reading about people negotiating over emails even before they step into a dealer (which is what I've just started to try out). When we bought our Pathfinder a couple years ago, I hadn't done any research and got hosed on a few parts. I did manage to get the main price of the Pathfinder down, but after that price was settled, I was undercut by the price they gave me for the trade-in...I was just happy that I got a few thousand knocked off the MSRP. lol

After that, you go to the back room and talk with the finance lady. Yes she tries to sell you all sorts of maint. plans, GAP insurance, paint protection, and probably even Mary Kay (if they could). Luckily, they aren't that pushy like a car salesman can get (at least, most people I've talked to say that), so it's easier to say no to them.

I wouldn't take any of it except GAP insurance if you are upside-down in your trade in (which means the value of the car is worth less than what you owed...therefore you added on more debt onto your new loan). But if you managed to get invoice or below with no other debts, then it's not worth it.

As for the maint. plans, if you can change your own oil/fluids/filters, or you are at least good enough to keep an eye on your milage an know when to bring your car in for services, then don't take the maint. plan. The car will need relatively little maint. during it's first 4 years (even though you paid a good penny for it). And if anything does go wrong during that time, it's already covered under warranty.

That brings me to the extended warranty...I'm mixed on this one. I feel Murphy's Law will get you one way or another. Buy it, and your car will never need it. Don't buy it, and something big will break just after the normal warranty is up. Either way, you can buy the plan later on down the road (usually before the regular warranty is up). By then, you should have gotten to know your car a lot better...if she has had some quirks over the first few years, then maybe it's a good idea.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:32 PM
InfiniDrew

also, look out for extra fees (that they don't tell you about, but was put on the paperwork). If you see anything that was not talked about, make sure you question it. Some are mandatory fees and some are not...I'm not sure which ones are or are not when it comes to Infiniti though...maybe someone else can chime in?
Old 07-05-2009, 01:04 PM
bluesun

Never buy anything in the finance office. The markup is more then 100%, and if you actually need it, remember, it is insurance. Good luck trying to make a claim. Also remember that most people sell their cars (or wreck them) before any of this would pay for itself. So why pay in advance?

With all that said I like the extended warranties on cars. But, if you wait 1 year, you can buy it from any dealer and get it at a reasonable markup, and only buy the infiniti warranty. All the rest are not likely to pay out. I like the peace of mind, and I drive (and tow) hard. My warranty on the nissan titan just bought a new radiator, but if nothing else breaks I will have lost money on it. But I did buy peace of mind.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:52 PM
djsk

Originally Posted by bluesun
Never buy anything in the finance office. The markup is more then 100%, and if you actually need it, remember, it is insurance. Good luck trying to make a claim. Also remember that most people sell their cars (or wreck them) before any of this would pay for itself. So why pay in advance?

With all that said I like the extended warranties on cars. But, if you wait 1 year, you can buy it from any dealer and get it at a reasonable markup, and only buy the infiniti warranty. All the rest are not likely to pay out. I like the peace of mind, and I drive (and tow) hard. My warranty on the nissan titan just bought a new radiator, but if nothing else breaks I will have lost money on it. But I did buy peace of mind.

So I can buy the extended Infiniti 7 year/100k warranty even after I buy the car? Let's say one-two years down the road?
Old 07-07-2009, 05:34 PM
bluesun

I'm not sure about infiniti, but I know that is the way it works with both ford, toyota, and nissan. All three of these I have bought after the car was purchased, and from another dealer. You often have to wait 1 year (as the selling dealer has the rights) then other dealers will send you offers. Or you get online and find someone willing to do the paperwork for $100 profit, instead of the normal huge profit. Often you can buy it up to the end of the original warranty, but again, varies and I'm not sure about infiniti. Not planning on owning this one long enough to find out.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:22 AM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I believe you can purchase the extended "Elite" Infiniti warranty up until the end of the "new car" warranty. Of interest, the warranty, as I understand it, is cancelable with prorate anytime, but, doesn't expand the coverage for the the first four years...

You can call Infiniti or one of the online sellers of the warranties for pricing and conditions. Disclaimer: I lived in the '60's, subject to flashbacks and ... um memory loss.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:18 AM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
add your location. depending on where you are, im sure there are guys on here who might recommend a dealer in your area for you.