Build Threads

Build Thread Number 2, Red Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 09:00 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Oh man your car makes me regret not getting black but I had no choice in color so oh well. I'm on my 3rd white car so I know what to expect I guess.

Your grille looks awesome! I wish I knew ahead of time about this group buy, I already got the midnight black grille and had my vinyl guy wrap the chrome trim around the grille (it looks stellar, just waiting for Spring time to install), also wrapped the window chrome trim which I highly recommend along with the rear bumper lower valence just today (which you dont have to worry about having a black car).

The Tanabe is just an axle-back so no performance gains really, just a minor grunt in sound but nothing like yours nor the Fast Intentions. I really wanted Fast Intentions and almost hit the "payment submit" button on their page but $1400/shipped was steep and seeing as I really wanted the Rays Performance wheels on my car, I decided on the Tanabe's as an alternative. The sound is there but more so when you get on it and even then its subtle which I like because I dont want anything crazy and my interior to be rattling.

I really want to drop the car but I need a very very subtle drop since I drive in the winter as well with 18" winter wheels/tires (as you see in the above exhaust pics). Tanabe springs seem like a viable option but I feel I may skip over this mod and keep the car as is for now with the exception of an upgraded rear Stillen sway bar.

Yea this will become the Red Sport build thread because the Q50 forums are SOO SOO boring. At least people here will appreciate this.

I LOVE the Back Sport but I feel this will be like the Eau Rouge Q50 and never really make it to production. Here's a pic of the 2018 Q50's, liking the minor sport bumper changes

Old 03-04-2017, 04:16 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Goonz
Oh man your car makes me regret not getting black but I had no choice in color so oh well. I'm on my 3rd white car so I know what to expect I guess.

Your grille looks awesome! I wish I knew ahead of time about this group buy, I already got the midnight black grille and had my vinyl guy wrap the chrome trim around the grille (it looks stellar, just waiting for Spring time to install), also wrapped the window chrome trim which I highly recommend along with the rear bumper lower valence just today (which you dont have to worry about having a black car).

The Tanabe is just an axle-back so no performance gains really, just a minor grunt in sound but nothing like yours nor the Fast Intentions. I really wanted Fast Intentions and almost hit the "payment submit" button on their page but $1400/shipped was steep and seeing as I really wanted the Rays Performance wheels on my car, I decided on the Tanabe's as an alternative. The sound is there but more so when you get on it and even then its subtle which I like because I dont want anything crazy and my interior to be rattling.

I really want to drop the car but I need a very very subtle drop since I drive in the winter as well with 18" winter wheels/tires (as you see in the above exhaust pics). Tanabe springs seem like a viable option but I feel I may skip over this mod and keep the car as is for now with the exception of an upgraded rear Stillen sway bar.

Yea this will become the Red Sport build thread because the Q50 forums are SOO SOO boring. At least people here will appreciate this.

I LOVE the Back Sport but I feel this will be like the Eau Rouge Q50 and never really make it to production. Here's a pic of the 2018 Q50's, liking the minor sport bumper changes

I love black cars, but I can't stand how dirty they get. Luckily the camera doesn't pick up how dirty it is. My issue is that I tell myself I'll never buy another black car again, but turn around and see it at the dealership and always end up talking myself into it.

One of the salesman was telling me how excited he was about the Infiniti Sports Exhaust for his Q60RS, but I told him that for the Q50 a lot of people didn't seem to like it. He kept pushing that I should try it out. I'm not taking my exhaust off to try that one out. All it is is a muffler delete for $500. I think he's going to buy it for his Q60RS and try down pipes and see how it sounds. I don't think it'll sound good, but I guess we'll see.

You can still buy the grille from the group buy and sell your midnight grill for close to what you paid for it or try to return it. But if you are going to keep the midnight grille I would take it somewhere and have the vinyl portion of it wrapped in paint protection film to protect from rocks. Vinyl chops pretty easily, and when it does and the chrome starts peaking through it'll be pretty noticeable. Since you haven't installed it yet now would be the perfect time to do it, if you're wanting to.

I've made two trips to the dealer for door rattles, and the culprit has been the plastic inserts behind the door handles on the inside on all 4 doors. I even checked all of the cars in the showroom and they all had the same rattle. The first time the service advisor accidentally put the rattle in as a loose part so it didn't get fixed, the second time he put it in as a rattle and that fixed it. But yesterday when I stopped by to show them the grille, the shop I use is right by the dealership so they want me to stop by so they can check it out every time, one of the salesman showed me how to turn the artificial sound off as well as the noise cancellation feature off so I could hear the exhaust more, but for some reason it introduced a loud rattle in the passenger door. So I'll have to go back and have that looked at.

The one thing I've been pretty happy about is the ride height from the factory. On my Lexus I had about 5" of wheel gap, on this car I think it's more like 2.5" maybe. It looks a lot better from the factory, and it isn't as pressing for me to want to have the springs installed. I guess where there's less wheel gap it doesn't bother me as much. I could live with it if I couldn't have them installed.

I'm perfectly fine with this becoming a Red Sport build thread. It'll give me more ideas than the plastidip, hideous wheels, and other dumb mods I see on the Facebook Q50 forums.

I love the Q60BS (lol) front bumper and hood. Not too big on the back end though. But you're probably right. Plus if it did come out it would probably be around $75k and I'm not sure it's worth that. I could think of other cars I'd buy for $75k than the BS (lol).

I'm not too big on the refreshed Sport bumper. I don't like the location of the parking sensors, to me they stick out like a sore thumb, but other that more black accents I don't see too much of a difference between current and refreshed.

Do you have a 2016 or 2017?
Old 03-04-2017, 08:00 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by '11G37S
I love black cars, but I can't stand how dirty they get. Luckily the camera doesn't pick up how dirty it is. My issue is that I tell myself I'll never buy another black car again, but turn around and see it at the dealership and always end up talking myself into it.

One of the salesman was telling me how excited he was about the Infiniti Sports Exhaust for his Q60RS, but I told him that for the Q50 a lot of people didn't seem to like it. He kept pushing that I should try it out. I'm not taking my exhaust off to try that one out. All it is is a muffler delete for $500. I think he's going to buy it for his Q60RS and try down pipes and see how it sounds. I don't think it'll sound good, but I guess we'll see.

You can still buy the grille from the group buy and sell your midnight grill for close to what you paid for it or try to return it. But if you are going to keep the midnight grille I would take it somewhere and have the vinyl portion of it wrapped in paint protection film to protect from rocks. Vinyl chops pretty easily, and when it does and the chrome starts peaking through it'll be pretty noticeable. Since you haven't installed it yet now would be the perfect time to do it, if you're wanting to.

I've made two trips to the dealer for door rattles, and the culprit has been the plastic inserts behind the door handles on the inside on all 4 doors. I even checked all of the cars in the showroom and they all had the same rattle. The first time the service advisor accidentally put the rattle in as a loose part so it didn't get fixed, the second time he put it in as a rattle and that fixed it. But yesterday when I stopped by to show them the grille, the shop I use is right by the dealership so they want me to stop by so they can check it out every time, one of the salesman showed me how to turn the artificial sound off as well as the noise cancellation feature off so I could hear the exhaust more, but for some reason it introduced a loud rattle in the passenger door. So I'll have to go back and have that looked at.

The one thing I've been pretty happy about is the ride height from the factory. On my Lexus I had about 5" of wheel gap, on this car I think it's more like 2.5" maybe. It looks a lot better from the factory, and it isn't as pressing for me to want to have the springs installed. I guess where there's less wheel gap it doesn't bother me as much. I could live with it if I couldn't have them installed.

I'm perfectly fine with this becoming a Red Sport build thread. It'll give me more ideas than the plastidip, hideous wheels, and other dumb mods I see on the Facebook Q50 forums.

Do you have a 2016 or 2017?
Mine's a 2016, but I saw a 2017 black RS at the dealer and with the red calipers it looked so awesome. Yea I'm really happy I didn't get the OEM sport muffler, for the same price I got the Tanabe and it looks and sounds so much better. Send me a PM regarding the group buy for the grille, I may explore this option since I know the vinyl will eventually start tearing. Is the chrome trim around the grille on yours painted black? I agree, the ride height isn't too bad but then again I haven't even had my 19"s on since the day I drove it home from the dealership so I have no idea how the car sits. Funny you say that regarding the door handle piece, so my vinyl guy, while wrapping the interior wood trim pieces with matte CF vinyl, accidentally broke that piece (I have no idea how) and I feel these are rattling all around my car on all doors. I may try to buy some thin foam or something to tighten the enclosure but my biggest annoyance is when I start the car and hearing the heat shields under the car rattle. The VQ had a more dramatic start up, while the VR sounds like a bunch of bees buzzing and then dying. I have done a lot already to my car but I'm just waiting on a couple more items. Here is a glimpse of what I have.

Matte CF Vinyl (pictured below is my actual car, this is the place that does my vinyl work)

View this post on Instagram

Rays Eng Forged (Infiniti Performance Wheel Package which was discontinued after 2015)

Name:  raysIMG_7501.jpeg
Views: 278
Size:  284.9 KB

Stillen Rear Adjustable Sway Bar

Name:  swayunnamed.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  317.7 KB
Old 03-04-2017, 08:48 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Mine's a 2016, but I saw a 2017 black RS at the dealer and with the red calipers it looked so awesome. Yea I'm really happy I didn't get the OEM sport muffler, for the same price I got the Tanabe and it looks and sounds so much better. Send me a PM regarding the group buy for the grille, I may explore this option since I know the vinyl will eventually start tearing. Is the chrome trim around the grille on yours painted black? I agree, the ride height isn't too bad but then again I haven't even had my 19"s on since the day I drove it home from the dealership so I have no idea how the car sits. Funny you say that regarding the door handle piece, so my vinyl guy, while wrapping the interior wood trim pieces with matte CF vinyl, accidentally broke that piece (I have no idea how) and I feel these are rattling all around my car on all doors. I may try to buy some thin foam or something to tighten the enclosure but my biggest annoyance is when I start the car and hearing the heat shields under the car rattle. The VQ had a more dramatic start up, while the VR sounds like a bunch of bees buzzing and then dying. I have done a lot already to my car but I'm just waiting on a couple more items. Here is a glimpse of what I have.

Matte CF Vinyl (pictured below is my actual car, this is the place that does my vinyl work)

Rays Eng Forged (Infiniti Performance Wheel Package which was discontinued after 2015)

Stillen Rear Adjustable Sway Bar

The only thing I wish I had that mine doesn't have (2016 to 2017 change wise) was the red calipers.

Those pictures that the vinyl shop took are top notch. I thought about getting the trim redone in either gloss black, like the piano veneer in Mercedes vehicles. But the carbon fiber vinyl in your car looks great. If I didn't like the wood trim so much I'd probably look into having it wrapped, heck I still might. I hadn't really put too much thought into it until now. Thanks. Lol

I was kind of indifferent on the Rays wheels, I wasn't a big fan of them when people put them on their G, but I think they look better on the Q50.

Have you looked into changing out the gear shifter to the Q60 one?

PS I pm'd you the guys info for the group buy.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:37 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

The only thing I wish I had that mine doesn't have (2016 to 2017 change wise) was the red calipers.

Those pictures that the vinyl shop took are top notch. I thought about getting the trim redone in either gloss black, like the piano veneer in Mercedes vehicles. But the carbon fiber vinyl in your car looks great. If I didn't like the wood trim so much I'd probably look into having it wrapped, heck I still might. I hadn't really put too much thought into it until now. Thanks. Lol

I was kind of indifferent on the Rays wheels, I wasn't a big fan of them when people put them on their G, but I think they look better on the Q50.

Have you looked into changing out the gear shifter to the Q60 one?

PS I pm'd you the guys info for the group buy.
You'll be amazed how nice the interior looks after all the wood trim is wrapped with CF (assuming you have wood trim). Totally worth it in my opinion. I have looked at and read about some people trying to change their shifter but that really not something that bothers me at the moment. Like I said earlier, my car came with the hideous accessory wheels (black chrome) though I wanted the OEM RS wheels like yours so rather than getting those, I went with these instead. Can't wait to get the PSS mounted on these and for warmer weather to install everything.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:30 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

You'll be amazed how nice the interior looks after all the wood trim is wrapped with CF (assuming you have wood trim). Totally worth it in my opinion. I have looked at and read about some people trying to change their shifter but that really not something that bothers me at the moment. Like I said earlier, my car came with the hideous accessory wheels (black chrome) though I wanted the OEM RS wheels like yours so rather than getting those, I went with these instead. Can't wait to get the PSS mounted on these and for warmer weather to install everything.
I do have the wood trim. I didn't like the aluminum very much. I'll have to look into it. Maybe try doing it myself.

This is what your Rays look like on your Q50RS, other than the 3.7 badging, right?

Name:  934CF396-2459-404B-8F02-5CEBC13BFF58.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  145.4 KB

I hate the run flats though, but I don't want to toss practically new tires or deal with the hassle of trying to sell them.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:56 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

I do have the wood trim. I didn't like the aluminum very much. I'll have to look into it. Maybe try doing it myself.

This is what your Rays look like on your Q50RS, other than the 3.7 badging, right?

I hate the run flats though, but I don't want to toss practically new tires or deal with the hassle of trying to sell them.
Yes that's what I have but those wheels pictured above are the staggered 370Z wheel what appears to be the anniversary edition due to the hyper silver color, those are 19x9 in the front and 19x10 in the rear hence the rear wheels look a bit concave. Where did you find that car? I want to know what springs they have. Basically I'll use the Rays until the end of the lease and once the tires are worn out, I'll put back on the accessory chrome wheels/tires my car came with and call it the day. Below is what the exact wheel I have looks like, they come 19x9 47 offset square set up, I will be running Michelin PSS 255/40's all around, heck no to run-flats. This was a RWD Q50S at my local dealer in 2015 that sat on the lot for 14 months before being converted in the loaner, it was really sad.

Name:  2unnamed.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  229.1 KB

Name:  1unnamed.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  284.6 KB

Last edited by Goonz; 03-04-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:25 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Yes that's what I have but those wheels pictured above are the staggered 370Z wheel what appears to be the anniversary edition due to the hyper silver color, those are 19x9 in the front and 19x10 in the rear hence the rear wheels look a bit concave. Where did you find that car? I want to know what springs they have. Basically I'll use the Rays until the end of the lease and once the tires are worn out, I'll put back on the accessory chrome wheels/tires my car came with and call it the day. Below is what the exact wheel I have looks like, they come 19x9 47 offset square set up, I will be running Michelin PSS 255/40's all around, heck no to run-flats. This was a RWD Q50S at my local dealer in 2015 that sat on the lot for 14 months before being converted in the loaner, it was really sad.

I saw it browsing the Facebook forums. If I remember correctly he has a rwd 3.7, so the spring rate would be different than ours. Grab some spacers for yours. It's makes a world of difference. I have 15mm on the rear right now, still haven't had a chance to put the fronts on. I'll have to do it tomorrow since I'm going to a meet next weekend and won't be able to do it during the week.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:19 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

I saw it browsing the Facebook forums. If I remember correctly he has a rwd 3.7, so the spring rate would be different than ours. Grab some spacers for yours. It's makes a world of difference. I have 15mm on the rear right now, still haven't had a chance to put the fronts on. I'll have to do it tomorrow since I'm going to a meet next weekend and won't be able to do it during the week.
I might just do that, I'm really leaning towards not dropping the car so I'll see how the car is with spacers. Yea 15mm is the best size for stock IMO but I can't seem to find a decent set. B2 Designs still doesn't have any, not sure which other brands to check out other than H&R.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:31 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

I might just do that, I'm really leaning towards not dropping the car so I'll see how the car is with spacers. Yea 15mm is the best size for stock IMO but I can't seem to find a decent set. B2 Designs still doesn't have any, not sure which other brands to check out other than H&R.
I purchased H&R from JM Auto Racing. They're not cheap by any means, but I'm satisfied with them.

Any word from Mark regarding the group buy?
Old 03-05-2017, 12:43 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

I purchased H&R from JM Auto Racing. They're not cheap by any means, but I'm satisfied with them.

Any word from Mark regarding the group buy?
I haven't reached out to Mark yet, I'm debating about that and then going through the hassle of selling mine on a boring Q50 forum seems like a pain at this point where I already have mine ready to go. I think I'll stick with what I have for now, my vinyl shop told me to bring it back if it starts pitting/tearing and they'll repair for free. I'm going to order some Black DRM 15mm spacers probably from H&R along with Gorilla half spline lugs to use rather than the supplied spacer lugs. Rochester used this setup and it looked really good and provided me with a piece of mind that these things are bolted on securely.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:57 PM
gavingw

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Hey, just catching up on this thread as my Q60 RS should be in within 2-3 weeks.

I noticed the turbo's definitely quieted it down a lot. However, seems like downpipes make a big difference with getting the sound you want.

I was talking with GT Haus today and they said they were considering adding downpipes as an option to the kit. You went with the GT kit correct? I'm eyeing the GT2 kit for mine and order the FI downpipes, same as yourself.

How are you liking the car overall vs your old car?
Old 03-09-2017, 10:20 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Originally Posted by gavingw
Hey, just catching up on this thread as my Q60 RS should be in within 2-3 weeks.

I noticed the turbo's definitely quieted it down a lot. However, seems like downpipes make a big difference with getting the sound you want.

I was talking with GT Haus today and they said they were considering adding downpipes as an option to the kit. You went with the GT kit correct? I'm eyeing the GT2 kit for mine and order the FI downpipes, same as yourself.

How are you liking the car overall vs your old car?
I'll be getting down pipes probably next year. I'm trying to take the Rochester approach and set a budget yearly. This year was GTHaus and springs, and ended up being GTHaus, springs, spacers, and front grille. Next year will hopefully be wheels and tires and down pipes.

As far as which GTHaus system I have, I just have the stainless three sections without the valve control, which I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money on.

I like this car a lot, more so than the Lexus, but there are aspects I do miss from the Lexus. Power folding mirrors, ventilated seats, the back up camera quality, overall build quality, the sport + mode down shifts which always gave you predictable down shifts whereas the Q50RS seems to be a hit or miss, touch sensors on all of the door handles, the puddle lights under the mirrors lighting up when you're within 3 feet of the car, power closing trunk, black headliner which the Q60RS gets but not the Q50RS. But it was boring to drive, plus there were a ton of white GS350's where I live.

Now to what I like about the Q50RS over the Lexus, the puddle lights being on the door handle instead of the mirrors which I usually had folded in, remote start didn't shut off when you unlock the car like it does in the Lexus, the awd system seems to be better, transmission seems to be more responsive, the infotainment system is so much easier to use, the engine mainly the ho and tq, the exterior styling, seats, suspension, akebono bbk.

I love both cars but I like the Q50RS better, but I feel like if you combine both cars together you'd have a really solid car.

What color combo did you get?
Old 03-10-2017, 08:01 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,604 Likes on 3,448 Posts
I'll be getting down pipes probably next year. I'm trying to take the Rochester approach and set a budget yearly. This year was GTHaus and springs, and ended up being GTHaus, springs, spacers, and front grille. Next year will hopefully be wheels and tires and down pipes.
Your history with cars makes that particular goal somewhat dubious.

But hey, good luck with that.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:33 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Did someone say Red Sport build thread?

My wife's Red Sport and my Red Sport together