Build Threads

Project Practicality

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 08:18 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Raceseng makes a really nice product. Looks perfect in your car.

Now that you're focused on that area of the car, it's time to ditch that glossy OEM vinyl shift boot for some quality, black perforated leather.

Love your car, OP. Some really excellent choices.
The following users liked this post:
Dembflyr (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 08:34 PM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I must have looked at 1000 *****. I kept coming back to the Raceseng. I had a TWM **** in my z and while it was very nice I wasn't a big fan of needing a sock in the summer to protect my hand. This **** also just happens to fit the interior perfectly.

A boot is on the list. I'm trying to knock the higher price items off the list first then the cheaper items will be easier to get.

I am most certainly done for this year. I'm starting to save for a Fast Intentions exhaust for next spring. Well, that and to fix my bumper. I haven't gotten an estimate yet. I used some touch up paint and buffed out the other scuffs as good as I could.
That'll do for now. I'll get it fixed next spring.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:40 AM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Nice build! Those Nismo Zs really set it off.
Dembflyr (07-20-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 09:33 PM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

After driving with the short shifter for a few days I have to say that while the vibration is annoying I can get used to it. The trade off of the short and super crisp and precise shifts make it worth it. Once in fifth or sixth gear it's not noticible anymore.

The **** does sit very low so I ordered a 2" extension. I think that'll make it the right height. Should be here Friday.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:56 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Dembflyr

**** looks great in there, definitely suits the interior. Off topic question, anyone know how to fix the way the glove box hangs down in this picture? Mine does the same thing and I've taken it apart and put it back together more than once trying to get it to close flush.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:39 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
The **** does sit very low so I ordered a 2" extension. I think that'll make it the right height. Should be here Friday.
OP cars really coming together, where did you order the extension from? Also have you figured out the vibration issue yet? Ive had the toque solutions STS sitting in my house for probably 9 months now

Originally Posted by Epiphany
**** looks great in there, definitely suits the interior. Off topic question, anyone know how to fix the way the glove box hangs down in this picture? Mine does the same thing and I've taken it apart and put it back together more than once trying to get it to close flush.
The screw(s) are either missing and not fully in.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:42 AM
Rochester
Administrator

2" is a pretty significant extension. It could end up sitting noticeably higher than stock, with the boot looking awkward. I suspect there will be a hacksaw involved in this project.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:30 PM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
OP cars really coming together, where did you order the extension from? Also have you figured out the vibration issue yet? Ive had the toque solutions STS sitting in my house for probably 9 months now

The screw(s) are either missing and not fully in.
The screws are in. The latch on that side of the door just doesn't seem to grab very high.

The vibration is due to the fact that the TS shifter has a metal ball bearing and metal shims vs the stock nylon bushing. It's just transmitting more vibrations up the arm. I wasn't expecting it at first but the more I drive it I can live with the noise because the shifting is just that much better.

Now I'm going to have to work on it and see what I can do about that glove box door. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Rochester
2" is a pretty significant extension. It could end up sitting noticeably higher than stock, with the boot looking awkward. I suspect there will be a hacksaw involved in this project.
Shortest I could find was 2" and I got it off eBay.
The Sphereology **** is pretty short and the threads go pretty far in so I am hoping it won't st as high. With that said I am anticipating it being higher than I would like. We shall see.
I may have to go the route you took and get one made.

Here's a side view of how it sits now:

Old 07-25-2017, 12:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Shortest I could find was 2" and I got it off eBay.
The Sphereology **** is pretty short and the threads go pretty far in so I am hoping it won't st as high. With that said I am anticipating it being higher than I would like. We shall see.
I may have to go the route you took and get one made.
If the full length of this ebay stand-off is 2", then subtract from that the depth of the inner threads, and you'll be fine. But I couldn't find anything like that this time last year, which is why I went the custom route.

I feel for what you're doing, because I've been there. Good luck. For context, here's a pic of my stand-off, and the comment link where I talked about it:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ml#post4036076

Old 07-25-2017, 06:27 PM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

So I may have jumped the gun with the 2" extension.

The last couple of posts got me thinking.... and measuring.

2" is going to be too high. No doubt.

Some have posted how they have spaced up the **** in various ways to get the height desired. My **** has an adapter in it to fit the 10x1.25 threads on the Infiniti shifter. That will allow me to space the **** in smaller increments to get maximum thread contact.
I found a couple of spacers that I thought just might do what I needed. One was about 5/8" and the other was 5/16".

By placing the 5/8 spacer below the adapter then using blue locktite I am confident that the spacer won't move.

Then I placed the smaller spacer on top to keep the **** from going all the way down.

I think this is where I want to be. The spacers measured just shy of 1" so, like Rochester said, the 2" extention would've been too much.

Looks better this way.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

1" is approximately the drop you're try to recover, and it looks like you figured it out. The important thing here is that you feel the connection is made with enough threads to be solid.

Raising the **** doesn't affect the throw length at all, IMO. I was surprised by that, because conventional wisdom and all that jazz.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:59 PM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

I love when Cars & Coffee is held at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Such a great venue for C&C.

Had a great turn out today for our local club too. In all I believe we had 15 cars with us.

Also as a bonus there was a local Porsche club that had rented the speedway for the weekend so we had cars ripping around the track also.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:52 PM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

It’s been a while since I updated this thread. Man, life has been whoopin my ***. I thought that my new job would give me more free time and to a point it has.
That is until I had to move my father out of Florida and closer us here in Indiana.
I’ve also been getting house things done rather than car stuff.
However, over the past few weeks I have been able to tackle a few things on the car.
I did the whiteline rear diff bushings. That was not fun but wow what a difference. Amazing how when the rear is not moving around the car just feels so much better.
Shifts are better and the car feels better under acceleration.
There is an increase in NVH but it is not overwhelming at all. Kind of nice actually. Gives a little growl.
Took me about 11 hours from start to finish mainly because I had to stop frequently as life intervened. lol
The biggest delay was when my floor jack failed and I had to take a ride to Harbor Freight to get a new one.
Here are some pictures of the process:

I also had the signs of the clutch master cylinder starting to fail.
Inconsistent engagement and having to pump the pedal at times to get it to go into first.
I ordered the RJM master cylinder and installed it today.
The difference is amazing. Finally the clutch feels right.
I have it paired with the rev 3 pedal from RJM and I couldn’t be happier.

That’s about it for this update. I’ll probably put the winter wheels on next week and hope for a mild winter.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!
jpowersjr2 (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 04:32 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Patiently waiting and not looking forward to replacing my rear diff bushings. I already have the Whiteline bushings for when it does. 115k miles on my '08 and no signs of leaking....knock on wood.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:57 PM
super51fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where in Central Indiana? Im near the castleton square mall. We well have to catch up sometime or if I see your car I'll make sure to introduce myself

Quick Reply: Project Practicality