Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
Great thread!
The following users liked this post:
Dembflyr (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 11:37 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
What tires are you running, I'm sure it's in this awesome thread somewhere but glossed over it I suppose. And what tires are you planning to replace them with?
Old 05-27-2017, 12:02 AM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
The wheels came with Barum Bavaruis 3 tires. They are an off brand made by Continental.
All the reviews I have read have good things to say. These are super cheap for a performance 19" tire at about $150 each. After driving on them for a few thousand miles I have to say they are not bad at all. I drive about 15,000 miles a year so I will sacrifice some performance to get a little more longevity out of the tires.
The dry performance is very good. Not RE-11 good by any means but I haven't felt limited by the tires until I installed the sways.
I haven't given a lot of thought about what to replace them with as I am still recovering from the purchase of the Nismo wheels and my winter tires.
If I were making the decision tomorrow I would have to seriously consider the Barum tires again.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:42 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Dembflyr
The wheels came with Barum Bavaruis 3 tires. They are an off brand made by Continental.
All the reviews I have read have good things to say. These are super cheap for a performance 19" tire at about $150 each. After driving on them for a few thousand miles I have to say they are not bad at all. I drive about 15,000 miles a year so I will sacrifice some performance to get a little more longevity out of the tires.
The dry performance is very good. Not RE-11 good by any means but I haven't felt limited by the tires until I installed the sways.
I haven't given a lot of thought about what to replace them with as I am still recovering from the purchase of the Nismo wheels and my winter tires.
If I were making the decision tomorrow I would have to seriously consider the Barum tires again.
Yeah, when you said your tires were the limiting factor I assumed you weren't happy w/ them, glad to hear they're holding up.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:40 AM
Adil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a similar 2008 red sedan with pretty much similar mods. Now I am thinking of playing around with the interior.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:07 PM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Adil
I have a similar 2008 red sedan with pretty much similar mods. Now I am thinking of playing around with the interior.
It is what you see the most. Just be careful. It's easy to over do it and if you aren't happy with it you still have to look at it.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:41 PM
p0on
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Awesome build and thanks everyone for the reviews of Anti-Roll Bars.

I noticed that some of you are realizing that tires are now the limiting factor after installing ARBs and just wanted to share that overly stiff ARBs will lower ultimate available grip as the lessened weight transfer now scrubs the outer tire at a more shallow angle.

I have the ARBs off of a Nismo 370Z waiting to go on. I've found that they are the same outer diameter as the S sedan but thicker walled. It also matches the diameter and wall thickness of the ones Nismo made for the V36 sedan

Anxious to see what the Nismo tune for this chassis holds.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:12 AM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

I think that my current tires do not have a very stiff sidewall. I feel like they are folding over a bit. That's why I say they are limiting. However for a street car that will probably never see a track they add that extra feel when entering a corner at speed that make the driving experience better.
I was on the fence about sways but now I'm sold. These should've been at the top of my list.
I am curious to see what your thoughts are on the nismo sways.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:10 PM
ToXIc
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 79 Posts
really like what you have done.. keep the updates coming.
The following users liked this post:
Dembflyr (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 04:44 PM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

Nothing car wise to update except that I haven't driven it in over a week and have one more week to go. It's killing me.

Instead this is what has been occupying my time.

New job. New type rating.

This has crossed my mind a few times this week.

Maybe mid July I'll be doing the diff bushings and hopefully I'll add a STS before the end of summer.

Last edited by Dembflyr; 06-23-2017 at 02:56 PM. Reason: f-bomb - fixed
Old 06-23-2017, 03:05 PM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

So this happened today...

I was backing out of a parking spot and had put the car in first gear when I hear and feel a crunch.

No alert from my back up radar as I was already out of reverse and she hit me dead center on the drivers side sensor.

She gets out of the car saying "I look, I look" English wasn't her first language.
I said. You didn't look in the right place.

I'm screwed since we were both backing out and I don't have a camera to back up my version of what happened.

This will be out of pocket for me as my deductible is $500 and I don't believe this should be much more than that.

And there goes my mod budget for the rest of the year.

Also, sorry bout the f-bomb in the previous post. It didn't even cross my mind that it should've been edited.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:10 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
I'm glad it didn't destroy the integrity of the bumper itself...just some paint work for the most part. Maybe you will make out for under 500 and not have to inform insurance
Old 06-23-2017, 03:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
No way should you report that to your insurance company. Just get it fixed and walk away.

Sucks, OP.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:49 PM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

I'm going to get estimates next week.

I got home and compounded the area and it looks better except for the missing paint.

It could've done a lot more damage than it did.

I usually don't park where I did but it was pouring rain and I was just running in the store.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:56 PM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

Well, I found a little extra money for one more mod that I've been wanting.

I picked up a Torque Solution short throw shifter for $120 off eBay. I then paired it with a Raceseng Sphereology weighted ****. This **** has a poly screw on cover so it's more daily driver friendly. I think it fits the interior perfectly. No getting around the $165 for that.
I will be addressing the trim ring as it has a few small dents and I'd like to get rid of the shift pattern. The **** has the shift pattern on it so it's not needed on the trim.

I absolutely love the feel with this shifter and ****. It's exactly what I was hoping for.
Unfortunately I have some buzzing from the vibrations. I understand that it's fairly common with an STS. I'll have to see what, if anything, I can do.

Last edited by Dembflyr; 07-19-2017 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Project Practicality