Build Threads

G37x Sedan owner intro & build thread in Cincinnati

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 11:25 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
I wouldn't get that test/ypipe combo. No resonators on that thing. Go with Blnewt's suggestion
Old 04-26-2016, 09:33 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Got a little bit of time to work on the car this weekend. Got 1 of 4 things I wanted to get finished, done :/

I picked up some Stillen intakes off of here a week or two ago. Not happy AT ALL with the condition of the intake, but it would have cost me more to send it back than it would have been worth it. The seller did refund me $10, but I wish I would have waited and bought a different used one that was in better condition / complete and not missing parts. I guess that's my fault for relying on the sellers word and not doing my own research.

I was able to get them installed. I don't have any pics of the overall install, but I did come across a few things during installation.

Here was a little surprise I found in one of the stock airboxes:

Name:  Airbox%20surprise_zpsg9klptxg.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  149.1 KB

And here is one of the stock filters that got replaced

Name:  Stock%20Air%20filters_zpsaulorkel.jpg
Views: 1245
Size:  180.3 KB

I also decided to clean the TB's while I had all the intake piping off. I did disconnect the battery as I was installing the intake. I also did manually open up the TB butterflies to clean them. I know both of those are debated in the TB cleaning thread, but I had zero issues after completion. Before and after:

Name:  Throttle%20Body%201_zps3cgy1hzq.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  221.2 KB
Name:  Throttle%20Body%202_zpsptz4xnao.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  187.3 KB

I used on osculating saw to open up the core support and used some vacuum line that a slit open to line the jagged edges as to not rubbing the piping more than it already is:

Name:  Stillen%20Intake%20clearancing_zpsvibqx36x.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  202.2 KB

The M45 Sport 19" wheels are now on the car after being completely stripped and refinished. I really like them on the Blue Slate. Even better is I picked up some OEM TPMS sensors off of ebay for $50 shipped and they work great! No more TPMS light!

Name:  M45%20Sport%20Wheels%204_zpsyt5pc5yo.jpg
Views: 1255
Size:  315.2 KB

I have a couple sets of slip on H&R spacers in 10,15 and 20mm. I was debating on just picking up some DRM spacers, but after thinking about it I'd rather just get some extended wheel studs and use what I already have. It needs it....

Next on the list:
-Install extended wheel studs and spacers
-Get car re-aligned
-Install OBX resonated test pipes
-Change the front and rear diff fluids with the Amsoil 75w-90 I picked up last week
Old 04-26-2016, 09:43 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Forgot to mention the intakes really seem to wake the car up, especially up top. The sound in the higher RPM is amazing. I was able to get an ok run in with my pals 2014 335i on the way to cars and coffee saturday morning. Car is all stock save for a Burger intake. I took the hit from about 50mph. He reeled me in by about half a car, but didn't get around me. I was pretty pleased with the outcome.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:13 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

I was going to run my H&R DRS wheel spacers as they're excellent quality spacers, but as much as I change wheels I really didn't want to have to keep changing wheel studs. I picked up some DRM spacers and got them installed this weekend.

Name:  Wheel%20Spacers%201_zpssyiar1nb.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  415.6 KB

The spacers are dang near exactly where I want them give or a take a millimeter or two.

Name:  25mm%20front%20spacers%202_zpsuuzb1ddb.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  116.1 KB
Name:  25mm%20front%20spacers_zpsrnpdgels.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  101.3 KB

The problem now is that I feel like the rear of the car looks too high. I'm currently on Swift springs with the stock struts and shocks on all the stock rubber isolators. I'm debating switching to a thinner upper rear spring isolator similar to this:

Energy Suspension Coil Spring Isolators 4-6105G - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Has anyone ran anything like this before?
Old 05-10-2016, 08:02 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Might consider cutting a 1/2" off the stock rubber cone isolators.
BTW, new spacers look like a great fit, nice job.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:09 PM
jfisher
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Might consider cutting a 1/2" off the stock rubber cone isolators.
BTW, new spacers look like a great fit, nice job.
That's exactly what I'm going to try! Thanks!

BTW, did your rear spoiler come with that plastic bracket? What's it used for? I just bought the same spoiler. I do have the tech package with the rear view cam.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:38 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by jfisher
That's exactly what I'm going to try! Thanks!

BTW, did your rear spoiler come with that plastic bracket? What's it used for? I just bought the same spoiler. I do have the tech package with the rear view cam.
IIRC it's used to bring the trunk release button out further from the trunk lip.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:03 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
IIRC it's used to bring the trunk release button out further from the trunk lip.
Cool, I actually found out yesterday the seller is including that bracket so that makes me feel better
Old 05-19-2016, 06:38 PM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by jfisher
Got a little bit of time to work on the car this weekend. Got 1 of 4 things I wanted to get finished, done :/

I picked up some Stillen intakes off of here a week or two ago. Not happy AT ALL with the condition of the intake, but it would have cost me more to send it back than it would have been worth it. The seller did refund me $10, but I wish I would have waited and bought a different used one that was in better condition / complete and not missing parts. I guess that's my fault for relying on the sellers word and not doing my own research.

I was able to get them installed. I don't have any pics of the overall install, but I did come across a few things during installation.

Here was a little surprise I found in one of the stock airboxes:

And here is one of the stock filters that got replaced

I also decided to clean the TB's while I had all the intake piping off. I did disconnect the battery as I was installing the intake. I also did manually open up the TB butterflies to clean them. I know both of those are debated in the TB cleaning thread, but I had zero issues after completion. Before and after:

I used on osculating saw to open up the core support and used some vacuum line that a slit open to line the jagged edges as to not rubbing the piping more than it already is:

The M45 Sport 19" wheels are now on the car after being completely stripped and refinished. I really like them on the Blue Slate. Even better is I picked up some OEM TPMS sensors off of ebay for $50 shipped and they work great! No more TPMS light!

I have a couple sets of slip on H&R spacers in 10,15 and 20mm. I was debating on just picking up some DRM spacers, but after thinking about it I'd rather just get some extended wheel studs and use what I already have. It needs it....

Next on the list:
-Install extended wheel studs and spacers
-Get car re-aligned
-Install OBX resonated test pipes
-Change the front and rear diff fluids with the Amsoil 75w-90 I picked up last week
Damn! Sorry to hear about the intakes but damn those m45s rims look perfect.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:27 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Originally Posted by lorentzoe45
Damn! Sorry to hear about the intakes but damn those m45s rims look perfect.
Thanks man.

I swapped over to the OBX test pipes from the Megan test pipes this weekend in hopes of eliminating the CEL. No dice... I even bought these stainless O2 spacers with TINY holes so there should be hardly any exhaust flowing back to the O2's. I think I may actually have a damaged O2 sensor or other issue. The car runs great though so it's nothing that affects how the car runs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170909875264?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Sucks because I had Megan test pipes on the car and I feel they are a slightly better quality design with the flex pipe. The flanges on the OBX pipes are thicker, however.

I will say that the gaskets that came with the Megan test pipes are pure junk. Both had completely failed at the header connection. The graphite gaskets that came with the OBX pipes seem to be much better gaskets. I didn't install though because I bought the Z1 gaskets and installed them with some RTV.

The combination of the Z1 gaskets and actually aligning the exhaust with the flanges at the mid pipe has made the exhaust sound AMAZING. The rasp has been 90% eliminated and the car is much quieter. The tone is better because all of the exhaust is actually flowing out of the mufflers now. I'm in love all over again:

In hindsight I wish I would have kept the Megan test pipes and just swapped over to the Z1 gaskets and double checked the alignment of the exhaust. The guys that installed my test pipes didn't do the best job. One of the bolts at the y pipe was completely stripped and just cranked on with an impact. They also didn't take time at all to align the connection of the TP's to the Y pipe. I can't say for sure if that helped get rid of the rasp, but I'm sure it can't hurt.

Here are the Megan TP's after 5-6k miles. These will be for sale soon and I'll be including the grade 8 hardware they never came with as well as the O2 extensions I bought separately:

Name:  Megan%20Test%20pipes%203_zpstsztv966.jpg
Views: 1272
Size:  231.0 KB
Name:  Megan%20test%20Pipes%201_zpsiir5qhqq.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  232.2 KB

Last edited by jfisher; 05-23-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:25 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Sorry that you still have CELs, like you mentioned, wonder if it's a problem w/ one of the sensors? I still have No CEL and I've been driving it pretty hard for about 3500 miles now. Glad you're happy w/ the exhaust note though
Old 05-26-2016, 11:18 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Did I mention how much I love the new tone of the car?

Still have a dang CEL though.... I wonder if the O2's aren't getting enough exhaust making it seem like a cat is clogged?
Old 06-10-2016, 09:16 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

I'm pretty frustrated with this car right now. I can't decide if I want to throw more money at it or return to stock and trade it in on something I like more.

I still have the damn CEL, the car rides like *** and now I'm developing some popping noise in the right front when turning the wheel full left. The alignment still sucks, I have a slight vibration that is probably tire related and the car just doesn't handle as well as I was expecting. I can honestly say I think it's more fun to drive my wifes bone stock 2013 Honda Accord Sport sedan...

I'm also debating on whether or not to go to a quality coilover or replace the struts and shocks. I'm sure it's the 106k mile oem struts and shocks, but the car rides like poo. New KYB's are just under $269 shipped, but then I have to swap springs again and worry about them ****ting out in a couple 10k miles.

Anyone have any experience on how long KYB's will last with Swifts?
Old 06-15-2016, 10:27 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

I've got too much invested at this car at this point so I'm going to hold onto it and fix what needs fixing.

I ordered a new OEM sport front bumper and hope to get on that swap in the next couple of weeks.

I've been debating on what exhaust I want from the cats back and without spending a fortune there just aren't many options for the AWD sedans. I started looking at 2.5" 304 stainless builders kits, mufflers and resonators and I'm in the same boat after cost of materials and having someone fab up the exhaust.

I decided to just scoop up this ebay exhaust:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400981903721?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
It's 304 stainless and is pretty decent quality. It's all 2.25" piping and the flanges are nice and thick. Like all ebay exhaust it was packed **** poorly and has a few scratches on one muffler as well as a dent in one section of the piping. I contacted the seller and they refunded me some money so I have just over $200 in the whole setup. I don't really care as I'll be cutting up most of it anyway. We just sold our home and are looking for a new home so I probably won't get to this for several weeks. But here are some pics of the actual exhaust as I unpacked it:

Name:  HKS%201_zpsu9xdcssu.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  226.1 KB

And some of the damage:

Name:  HKS%205_zpsd2wdhtzc.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  119.2 KB
Name:  HKS%204_zpstl0mi73p.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  136.8 KB
Name:  HKS%203_zpsya2dkbao.jpg
Views: 1253
Size:  157.5 KB
Old 06-15-2016, 11:42 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Interested to see how you will modify a G35/350Z coupe exhaust to fit.

Quick Reply: G37x Sedan owner intro & build thread in Cincinnati