Build Threads

MaQG37's G37 Build and new Q50 Red Sport Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 08:25 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Love the old but congrats on the new! Look forward to what you've got planned, might as well keep this thread rolling and if you need me to edit the title feel free
Old 01-04-2018, 10:57 AM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
When do I get to flash it??
Old 01-08-2018, 11:11 AM
ToXIc
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 79 Posts
keep this thread updated with the ride man!
Old 01-14-2018, 01:49 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Love the old but congrats on the new! Look forward to what you've got planned, might as well keep this thread rolling and if you need me to edit the title feel free
MAQ's Q50 Red Sport?

Originally Posted by ttv36
When do I get to flash it??
When I go FBO?

Originally Posted by ToXIc
keep this thread updated with the ride man!
As requested. So, first update is the car's exhaust. Right now, there is only a handful of companies that make an exhaust for this car and I am not 100% sold on the current offerings. There is 2 companies that I have my eye on that are in the works of releasing (Power Pro Engineering + AMS). But, in the meantime, I was going to purchase a bolt-on muffler delete through Infinti or Optimus Performance. I actually did neither and had a shop locally do the delete for $100.

I finally have some volume and I feel like I am not driving a blender. The VR30 has an underwhelming exhaust note compared to the VQ37VHR but it's a compromise I was willing to deal with. With the muffler delete, I'd like to compare the exhaust note to a N54/N55 BMW motor.

At the exhaust shop, DRL looks a little yellow with the auto-tone in Lightroom

I re-used the OEM Red Sport tips and same diameter piping. Also, replaced the license plate with Diode Dynamic's HP5 bulb in pure white which I am not too happy with.

Quick exhaust clip

A random BMW I encountered with an E36 M3 Drivetrain

Last edited by MaQG37; 01-14-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:59 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Just a quick first impression of the car so far. I have logged around ~1,000 miles on the car so far

Exterior: The car is used and has imperfections here and there. With the price I got, I was willing to deal with it. The clear bra needs to be peeled. The piano black interior/exterior pieces need to be polished or replaced. The car has swirl marks which are much to my pleasure hidden with the white color. The rear OEM spoiler was an added bonus as I don't plan on going with carbon this time around. The LED headlights do not perform as well as my G37's STI-R setup. The LED foglights perform well and the front-end has a nice uniform white appearance with all of the factory lighting.

Interior: First, the car's visibility compared to the G37 is much improved. The seats are wider, more comfortable, and has less blind spots. The sound deadening in this car is substantially better even having to hear the crappy Dunlop run flat gallop. The technology in the car is good, but not great. The apps are for the most part useless to me. The 16 speaker Bose Audio has increased volume/bass/clarity opposed to the G, but it's still lacking bass which will be rectified with an aftermarket setup in the future. The fit/finish of the interior overall is quite nice.

Performance: The power difference between my FBO G37 and this is night and day. The power comes on hard and it keeps pulling. On my highway trip to Houston, the car climbs to the triple digits without breaking a sweat. Turbochargers are a wonderful technology. The exhaust note is pretty much abysmal even with Infinti pumping artificial exhaust noises into the speakers. This is my first car where I really have to be careful with the throttle as the rear-end is very tail happy. Mash the pedal from a stop and the whole rear end will step out with ease even with the 265's mated to a 9.5'' width wheel. The torque down low is brutal and will put you back into your seat.
The following 2 users liked this post by MaQG37:
blnewt (01-14-2018), r2dmax (01-16-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 03:39 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice summation, too bad about the interior pieces, hopefully they can be polished to your satisfaction. Sounds like a fun ride for sure!

Changed your thread title, let me know if it's not what you want.
B
The following users liked this post:
MaQG37 (01-14-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 11:01 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

1st time at the track last night and my 1st ran broke into the 12's with a 2.1 60 ft.

The following users liked this post:
Daddy Fat Sacs (02-05-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 01:05 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Nice Mo! Need to meet up soon so I can check the new ride out. Let me know the next time you go to the drag strip. I haven't been yet and I'd like to see what the RS5 can do

Exhaust delete definitely sounds better than the stock mufflers.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:12 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by MaQG37
1st time at the track last night and my 1st ran broke into the 12's with a 2.1 60 ft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mFN...jomwbtw03c010c
Hard to read is that 12.9 @ 112?

Have you gone again since?
Old 03-17-2018, 01:16 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Just a quick first impression of the car so far. I have logged around ~1,000 miles on the car so far

Exterior: The car is used and has imperfections here and there. With the price I got, I was willing to deal with it. The clear bra needs to be peeled. The piano black interior/exterior pieces need to be polished or replaced. The car has swirl marks which are much to my pleasure hidden with the white color. The rear OEM spoiler was an added bonus as I don't plan on going with carbon this time around. The LED headlights do not perform as well as my G37's STI-R setup. The LED foglights perform well and the front-end has a nice uniform white appearance with all of the factory lighting.
Welcome to the RS community!
Infiniti paint as we all know is extremely delicate and soft, fortunately I bought mine brand new and had XPEL paint protection installed prior to picking her up (great investment). The interior pieces are extremely prone to fine scratches, coupled with dual screens, finger prints are quite an annoyance at times. I keep a mini microfiber cloth and small display cleaner spray to keep up. I ended up wrapping the wood trim with CF vinyl wrap, I'm extremely happy with the results and it gives the interior a much sportier feel. As for your LED headlights, I too came from a Q60 coupe with a modified cutoff shield and clear lens, the output initially on my Q50 was sub-par at best. I strongly recommend you adjust your headlights as I felt mine were a bit low. Once I raised them to a safe and acceptable height, I felt a major difference and the output I feel now is satisfactory.

Interior: First, the car's visibility compared to the G37 is much improved. The seats are wider, more comfortable, and has less blind spots. The sound deadening in this car is substantially better even having to hear the crappy Dunlop run flat gallop. The technology in the car is good, but not great. The apps are for the most part useless to me. The 16 speaker Bose Audio has increased volume/bass/clarity opposed to the G, but it's still lacking bass which will be rectified with an aftermarket setup in the future. The fit/finish of the interior overall is quite nice.
One of the first things many of the Q50 owners are doing is ditching the run-flats, they are absolute garbage. I've had both G37 sedan and coupes and def found the Q50 a lot more comfortable. The technology is really good but it can be better. The audio in all my Infiniti's have been garbage IMO so I had very little hopes with my current Q50, the bose audio is terrible and needs to be refined.

Performance: The power difference between my FBO G37 and this is night and day. The power comes on hard and it keeps pulling. On my highway trip to Houston, the car climbs to the triple digits without breaking a sweat. Turbochargers are a wonderful technology. The exhaust note is pretty much abysmal even with Infinti pumping artificial exhaust noises into the speakers. This is my first car where I really have to be careful with the throttle as the rear-end is very tail happy. Mash the pedal from a stop and the whole rear end will step out with ease even with the 265's mated to a 9.5'' width wheel. The torque down low is brutal and will put you back into your seat.
I miss the sound of my naturally aspirate VQ motor along with the exhaust notes. But like you eluded to above, the VR motor pulls very easily into triple digit speeds effortlessly. I have a Tanabe Medallion axle-back exhaust installed on mine and it makes a minor difference. In hindsight I should have ponied up and spend the extra on a full Fast Intentions cat-back but I'm ok with my current setup. The fake exhaust note can be turned off and many have done so as it is too artificial especially of us folks coming from VQ motors. Enjoy yours RS and can't wait to see what you have planned for it. We're essentially twins except mine is a 2016.
Attached Thumbnails MaQG37's G37 Build and new Q50 Red Sport Build-img-9182.jpg  

Last edited by Goonz; 03-17-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:29 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Status update as I've done quite a few things this year. More than I expected.
  • JL Audio 10W3v3-2 in a ported enclosure, bass ****
  • Rockford Fosgate 500x1d
  • Frozen Boost 118 Heat Exchanger working in tandem with the OEM H/E
  • eBay 3'' Y-Pipe
  • AMS 3'' catless lower downpipes
  • EcuTek Tune (14.5PSi, 20PSi) 405/465 heatsoaked on last run. Re-tune this october with additional H/E.
  • Burger MotorSports Intakes
  • HKS SSQV BOV
  • Stillen Rep Lip
  • BlueBatMobile rear 25% tail vinyl + Gloss black window trim vinyl

Last edited by MaQG37; 09-02-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:35 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Next mods will be 3'' catback, ethanol tune, and suspension.

recent sound clip:
Old 09-02-2018, 01:07 PM
monstur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the white on the q50 looks so good
Old 09-02-2018, 01:20 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
So you're now putting down 460 to the wheels under high boost? That's really good! I may not want to run you, LOL.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:21 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ape Factory
So you're now putting down 460 to the wheels under high boost? That's really good! I may not want to run you, LOL.
That's torque numbers. However, there are other Q50 RS owners putting down that # with ethanol, catback, and an added heat exchanger. Their torque numbers exceed 500. The ethanol and catback are coming this year.

Quick Reply: MaQG37's G37 Build and new Q50 Red Sport Build