Build Threads

Red's build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 09:36 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Redfire32
That's funny WheelTek was the 1st place I called! They were the ones that told me and the insurance adjuster that the Vossens finishes couldn't be replicated.
You're right the color match would be an issue but there's powdercoat for that

I dunno, I keep getting told I need to spring for wheels but I'm happy with the Rays at this juncture. May change the color as the rest of the car goes through it's upcoming transition.

If you guys get together in AR let me know, isn't that far a run for me.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:49 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Seem to me you're looking to the exhaust as either the origin of the hiss, or the solution to it. I've been going on the assumption that the origin is in the engine, not the exhaust. The OEM exhaust tamps the hiss down well enough, whereas an aftermarket exhaust, any aftermarket exhaust that's more free-flow, will only expose it. As for long-tube headers, if that's a solution, it's one where header noise simply drowns out the decel hiss. I suppose there's the potential for an anti-frequency effect, but that's a pretty unlikely coincidence.
Correct and I'm also willing to try anything to see if I can get the hiss to go away (short of selling the car).

In so far as performance gains, replacing shorty headers and high-flow cats with cat-less long-tube headers is an expensive prospect for minimal change, irrespective of this hiss that's driving you nuts.
Correct as well but aside from performance I'm really doing it for sound.

"the caveat hear"... I see what you did.
I was wondering who would catch that pun and my money was on you John.

Can you run cat-less in Texas? And how would you satisfy the O2 sensors without catalyst in the exhaust? For that matter... Redfire, isn't your CEL on now with the long-tubes?
I've been told a tune could alleviate this problem but I'm not too sure on that. Digging for info as we speak.
The following users liked this post:
Redfire32 (06-11-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 06:04 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 256 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
You're right the color match would be an issue but there's powdercoat for that

I dunno, I keep getting told I need to spring for wheels but I'm happy with the Rays at this juncture. May change the color as the rest of the car goes through it's upcoming transition.

Will def let you know if we decide to meet up bro, no doubt about it.

Also I can confirm that my CEL is indeed on. I hope the info your digging up about the tune fixing that problem is good news. Thanks Around the G37!!!
Old 06-12-2015, 07:57 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
I don't know if it will fix it but I know in my tuning software I have the ability to acknowledge and clear error codes.

Now, whether they will ever come back on has yet to be determined...
Old 06-12-2015, 08:04 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Did some research and talked to a few buddies. Yes, your tuner should be able to include maps that clear codes when going for inspection. That does not mean you will pass the emissions test however if they use the sniffer. That said, most places won't even go that route if your car is fairly new (and not throwing any codes) but I bet that varies from place to place depending on how suspect they are of your race car sounding exhaust.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:55 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Clearing codes before an inspection only turns off the CEL, but if the ECU hasn't cycled yet for emissions tested by OBD-II reading, then it isn't valid. If it were, people would be clearing codes in the parking lot. The real trick is whether or not the tune can turn off the CEL and keep it off. In order to do that, the tune would have to reduce the minimum delta between sensor readings to the smallest number possible in the code, after which you satisfy the constraint by pulling one of the sensors slightly out of stream... which is the typical solution for high-flow cats.

Obviously, if your state still sniffs for tailpipe emissions, it's a fail. But I don't think any states still do that... do they? That started as a California thing decades ago, but didn't really catch on nationally, because it was a PITA and expensive for shops to qualify.

In disclaimer I'll say AFAIK. I'd be happy to have someone tell me I'm full of **** and this is how it really works.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:07 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Clearing codes before an inspection only turns off the CEL, but if the ECU hasn't cycled yet for emissions tested by OBD-II reading, then it isn't valid. If it were, people would be clearing codes in the parking lot. The real trick is whether or not the tune can turn off the CEL and keep it off. In order to do that, the tune would have to reduce the minimum delta between sensor readings to the smallest number possible in the code, after which you satisfy the constraint by pulling one of the sensors slightly out of stream... which is the typical solution for high-flow cats.

Obviously, if your state still sniffs for tailpipe emissions, it's a fail. But I don't think any states still do that... do they? That started as a California thing decades ago, but didn't really catch on nationally, because it was a PITA and expensive for shops to qualify.
From what I've read is that certain tuners can configure maps to keep the cel lights away. I don't know the specifics so anyone who has done so please confirm.

With that said, Fast Intentions says they make tubes that will boltup without throwing codes. Damn, maybe I need to give this a shot.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:14 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Ok guys...I don't know if the tune will prevent the car from throwing a code, but it sounds promising. I'm currently looking for shops to do the tune. http://www.dynospeedracing.com is a shop that is located in your area RexHavok, do you have any idea what kind of quality work they do?? Or do you have any other shops in the Memphis, TN area that you'd recommend? Their website looks legit and I sent them an email expressing interest. I will give an update for everyone once they send me a reply.

Yes Rochester I'm gonna go ahead n get the sways before the tune still lol.

That being said, I've been driving since I was 14 (like most of us from small country towns lol) and I've never had to take a vehicle in for a smog test or any sort of test that I can remember. Neither has my wife and she's the one with the strong memory out of the two of us '

Can anyone else confirm or deny that their state has had them come in for a smog test?
Eventually I'm going to get this fixed but id like to know if I should worry about it or not.

As for the racecar sound that I've fallen in love with...if you aren't on the gas much you can't actually tell its there. I'll take a vid today of a standstill exhaust note so you guys can hear it for yourselves. When I first bought the LTH's Kevelteam sent me a pm warning me to be careful bc when he had his FI LTH's on he kept getting pulled over and ticketed for the noise. He resides in VA and apparently/hopefully they are more strict on exhaust noise in that state. Regardless I've taken to coasting by cops rather than having the gas pressed down more than say 15%.

Last edited by Redfire32; 06-12-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:08 PM
STREETTEC
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc

Rex - We will definitely keep you in the loop!! From reading your guys' mod's list... Ummmm... I have some work to do!!! LoL!!
The following users liked this post:
Redfire32 (06-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 06:06 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

parts delivery came today guys! IPL black bezel headlights, OEM spoiler QAA, 4 new Nitto Motivo's 275/30/20. All I need now is my IPL bumper that was mailed out today and the body shop can start putting Humpty Dumpty back together again!!

Oh and I've still gotta choose then buy some new bada$$ wheels. Def gonna cost some $$$ but I've got a check from insurance co for $2100 that should get me started.

Last edited by Redfire32; 08-01-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:47 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Redfire32
https://instagram.com/p/310Shriyro/

Check out the parts delivery that came today guys! IPL black bezel headlights, OEM spoiler QAA, 4 new Nitto Motivo's 275/30/20. All I need now is my IPL bumper that was mailed out today and the body shop can start putting Humpty Dumpty back together again!!

Oh and I've still gotta choose then buy some new bada$$ wheels. Def gonna cost some $$$ but I've got a check from insurance co for $2100 that should get me started.
Nice!
G/L w/ your wheel search, hopefully one of those deals you PM'd about will come through, gonna look bad to the bone!
Old 06-12-2015, 10:00 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Originally Posted by blnewt
Nice!
G/L w/ your wheel search, hopefully one of those deals you PM'd about will come through, gonna look bad to the bone!
Yeah I'm very stoked about how the car is gonna come out. I saw some sweet front splitters in IG today. Turns out they are sold at outcast garage. They are $340 for the CF model. I really wanna buy one and have it installed by the shop doing the repairs. That way the car will come out of the shop like BAM!!!

Freakin wheels are gonna take 2-4 months depending on which ones I choose tho
So really what's the point lol? No seriously I figured out that the wobble I was getting was only a ton of muck n mud under the car. So the CV4's might have to be the wheels I ride on for the next few months. After all it's only one of the lips that's absolutely murdered lol. The other 2 are only 25% murdered bahahaha.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:34 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Name:  image_zps1zxmjgvs.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  121.0 KB
Name:  image_zpsnibj3eux.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  130.6 KB

Parts update. Everything I need has come in!

Last edited by Redfire32; 08-01-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:39 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Sweet, now about those "you don't have hiss" videos. I confirmed with fast intentions that going to longtubes would not alleviate the noise so I'm curious to see if yours is actually not present.

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
The IPL Headlights are hot.

Since you had to replace because of the accident... making opportunities out of problems. Well done.

Quick Reply: Red's build thread