Build Threads

Motoboat's progress thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Motoboat

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Motoboat's progress thread

Here it is, my official build thread.

She is a 2011 G37x in shadow graphite, with the graphite interior. I picked her up a little over two weeksago from Holman Infiniti with 24k miles on the clock.

No nav, don’t need it. Real men don’t ask for directions. But really, I figure with smart phone now a days, is it really needed? I really thought long and hard about getting the sport, but manual just wasn’t going to work for me commuting into NY. Also having to drive in the early morning before the snow is cleared really put the AWD bug in my head.

Anyway, I love the car. I have been eyeing the G37 for a while now and knew it was going to be a black or dark gray one. My only complaint so far was with the hard shifts from the 7AT (only really coasting at around 25-30 mph), but I took it in the other day and the dealer did the ECM and TCM updates and that has seemed to clear up the issue so far. Even the stock wheels have grown on me since I put the springs on. So I’ll probably hold off on wheels for a bit.

Coming from a 2005 TL, the power is awesome. The TL wasn’t slow by any means, but the growl of the G, and the way it drives is definitely awesome and a worthy upgrade.

Going to really try and keep her classy,but with just a little bit of attitude. Any input/advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm also hoping to improve on my photography skills as I progress with the car. Let me know what you guys think.

So far:
45% tint
Swift springs
Sport rear sway bar
“sport” pedals from ebay
Grounding mod
Lighted kick plates

Coming soon:
15mm spacers
Foot well lighting (blue)
LED interior upgrade

Coming not so soon:
R2C intake (polished)
Resonated HFC
M370
Uprev tune
Strut bar
Engine bay bolts
Black grill
Koni shocks (not sure if any fit AWD)
Z1 headers
Wheels?
Akebono BBK if wheels allow it(maybe)
Dip stick cover from z-toys
Old 07-06-2013, 11:41 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks good!
Old 07-07-2013, 12:24 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice X, looks like you're off to a nice start, nice list of mods you're planning too.
The 17" wheels won't clear the BBK, nor will your spare tire
Look forward to more progress pics. Have fun w/ your new ride & welcome to the site
Old 07-07-2013, 01:30 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Your G is looking nice.

Regarding Navigation - I rarely use it for directions. Maybe 5-6 times a year. I do use the 9.3GB Musicbox, Bluetooth Audio streaming and Audio control voice recognition on a daily basis. Oh, and the Hi resolution screen is pretty nice compared to the standard screen I had in my non nav 07 G35.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:53 AM
Robert_K
Registered Member

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
Nice! Let me help ya get into a set of Forgeline wheels for your NY summer driving. I nice 19" step-lip will clear the big brakes and give the brakes a larger look.

Forgeline DE3S: 255/40-19x9.0 +35-40 square.
Standard Aluminum Black Emblem Center Cap, Center Finish - Graphite Powder Coat, Polished Outer Lip, Powder Coated Inner Rim Shell - Gloss Black, Exposed ARP 12 Point Polished Stainless Bolts, TPMS Sensor Bracket, Premier Series Valve Stem. Price around $4200.

That would look GREAT!!! Sorry I get carried away building wheels. LOL
Old 07-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
I like how you removed the G37x badge, but kept the INFINITI lettering. For some reason, in this picture here, that looks better than otherwise. I'd kind of like to do that too, but just can't bring myself to remove the little red "S", and can't think of where to relocate it.

I almost never use the Nav either, but I also rarely take my G on road trips. Nav is awesome if you need it for where you live and drive. If you don't then you don't, and has nothing to do with being a real man.

Nice car. Needs more cowbell.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Rochester
Administrator

You know what? For the last 20 minutes, I've been busy erasing the G37S badge off my trunk (photoshop), and in every single doctored photo, I find myself liking the balanced look more than I'm lamenting the loss if the "S".

OP, you've given me serious pause for consideration on this little de-badge. Up until now, I've always dismissed it (because S). Hmm.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Motoboat

Originally Posted by blnewt
Nice X, looks like you're off to a nice start, nice list of mods you're planning too.
The 17" wheels won't clear the BBK, nor will your spare tire
Look forward to more progress pics. Have fun w/ your new ride & welcome to the site
Thanks! Yeah, I've been thinking about forgestar f14's in silver for my wheels.

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
Your G is looking nice.

Regarding Navigation - I rarely use it for directions. Maybe 5-6 times a year. I do use the 9.3GB Musicbox, Bluetooth Audio streaming and Audio control voice recognition on a daily basis. Oh, and the Hi resolution screen is pretty nice compared to the standard screen I had in my non nav 07 G35.
You know, it would be awesome to have the nav package. If I would have found a great deal on a nav, I definitely would have liked to have those other features, but I felt like all the models with nav where always priced a little to much higher than non nav for me to justify it to myself. Maybe next time.

Originally Posted by Rochester
You know what? For the last 20 minutes, I've been busy erasing the G37S badge off my trunk (photoshop), and in every single doctored photo, I find myself liking the balanced look more than I'm lamenting the loss if the "S".

OP, you've given me serious pause for consideration on this little de-badge. Up until now, I've always dismissed it (because S). Hmm.
haha glad I could help, Yeah I like the balanced look. Some cars look great without he infiniti, some can rock it. If I had an "S" I probably would have left it on there longer, but in the end I would have taken it off.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:54 PM
maxminbig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good, looks like you're off to a nice start, nice list of mods you're planning too.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:29 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

My LE is completely debadged. Smooth as a baby's bottom.

Name:  IMG_0494.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  143.4 KB
Old 07-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Rochester
Administrator

My G37S badge is gone. (Big red S and all, LOL)
  1. Heated each piece with the hair dryer
  2. Sliced easily through the adhesive with fishing line.
  3. A little bit of elbow grease with the pads of my fingers to roll the adhesive off the paint.
  4. Goo-b-gone for the rest.
  5. Some light polishing compound.
  6. Paste Wax.

Easy peasy. Looks clean and balanced now.

OP, your picture inspired me.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Motoboat

My G37S badge is gone. (Big red S and all, LOL)
  1. Heated each piece with the hair dryer
  2. Sliced easily through the adhesive with fishing line.
  3. A little bit of elbow grease with the pads of my fingers to roll the adhesive off the paint.
  4. Goo-b-gone for the rest.
  5. Some light polishing compound.
  6. Paste Wax.
Easy peasy. Looks clean and balanced now.

OP, your picture inspired me.

Glad I could help!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:01 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
never saw this thread, in for updates if any.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:07 PM
Motoboat

Well, as a matter of fact I can give you some updates.
Here she is after 15mm spacers

I bought ichiba v2 spacers which are a 2 part spacer, and i was getting some vibration, so i found this awesome thread on g35driver for the fix:
DIY: Wheel spacer vibration fix - G35Driver

I did a metallic black vinyl wrap on my grill, thanks toi blnewt and blamb's threads

I have also added some bling to the engine bay thanks to the wife. (she hooked it up for xmas!)

R2C intakes and Ztoyz caps and dipstick cover. Also installed Cusco FTSB, I painted the brackets metallic black and clear coated them with some automotive paint in my garage. Its holding up pretty well for now, quick fix on that blue they paint them. I'll probably get them professionally painted once i have some more parts to do.

Please excuse the nismo sticker on the rad cap, lol. Still looking for one that i would like to replace it with. (im open to suggestions)

and new shoes are on the way! Gramlights 57xtreme in silver 19"
Old 02-12-2014, 10:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Spacers pushed those journey rims out nice in that pic.

And it looks like you did a real fine job wrapping the grille slats. It looks painted.

Radiator cap... Search Amazon or EBay on "VMS cap cover". I have one I gunmetal, and really like it.

Quick Reply: Motoboat's progress thread