Build Threads

Motoboat's progress thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:22 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Coming along very nice, sounds like your wife is on board too, always a plus!
Glad you fixed your spacer vibration, although you probably won't need them w/ your new Rays, those are going to look sweet on that car, classy wheels for sure. Ditto Johns' comment on the grill, looks top notch!
Old 02-13-2014, 12:01 AM
Deelow
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Awesome job on that grill man. Nice!
Old 04-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Motoboat

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
So I have all these parts ready to go (SPC and FI RHFC) and now instead i need to take my car into the dealer.

The weather has been nice so im driving around with my windows down and I hear a squaky rattle from the passenger side. I figure is a clip on the brake pads or whatever so i pull off the brakes, check the pads and apply some grease...No dice. I seem to get a sound from inside the hub when i spin the wheel. Like a clicking, so off to the dealer I go for some warranty work.

I guess ill just have to hold out for a little while longer to install these, would like to still get them on before the meet.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Motoboat

So finally installed my FI RHFC this weekend. Let me tell you, what a bitch to get those OEM cats off! Especially the drivers side. Ill post over in the DIY section about some tips on the install that I figured out, but the real bitch of it all? Is this, it sounded great on start up. Wife was really impressed and she usually gives me **** for having to always mod my car, so I took her for a drive, the first test drive with the new cats on. Once I put a load on the engine...there was vibration, metal on metal vibration. I'm really hoping it's just a heat shield maybe came loose on the install, but I have a sinking feeling it won't be that easy. Hopefully tomorrow I can get back under there and pull it apart. Any advice is welcome, anyone with this install have a similar issue they fixed. If not I'll just take it off and re install the OEM and see if u get the rattle.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Motoboat
So finally installed my FI RHFC this weekend. Let me tell you, what a bitch to get those OEM cats off! Especially the drivers side. Ill post over in the DIY section about some tips on the install that I figured out, but the real bitch of it all? Is this, it sounded great on start up. Wife was really impressed and she usually gives me **** for having to always mod my car, so I took her for a drive, the first test drive with the new cats on. Once I put a load on the engine...there was vibration, metal on metal vibration. I'm really hoping it's just a heat shield maybe came loose on the install, but I have a sinking feeling it won't be that easy. Hopefully tomorrow I can get back under there and pull it apart. Any advice is welcome, anyone with this install have a similar issue they fixed. If not I'll just take it off and re install the OEM and see if u get the rattle.
On load? No, not here. But at idle, the absence of that cross-member bolted to the OEM cats is causing a vibration. It's not as big of a deal on the 6MT as it is for the 7AT, because my right foot is in charge of what happens when the left foot has the clutch.

Someone mentioned that removing the two solid rubber vibration dampers attached to the OEM mid-pipes actually reduces that vibration... which seems counter-intuitive, but considering the cross member is gone, maybe. IDK. I'm going to give it a try soon enough.

However, you're describing metal-on-metal under load. IDK what that could be.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Motoboat

Good news! Found the noise. So this is the culprit.

It was stuck here,

Can't believe it was such an easy fix, It must have become lodged on the forward drive shaft right next to the trans when i took it off with the impact wrench. I was sloppy in my haste to finish the job and I didnt pay attention to where it went.

Cats sound AWESOME. Although, like some say, its still not loud enough. I think I'm about halfway there. A moderate cat back system and i think it would really put me where i want it to sound.

Now knowing how these come on and off, and having picked up a few tricks. I wouldn't be afraid to tackle this project again. It was a pain, but most of it is just figuring out how to get your tools in there, once you have that, it starts to move along.

I did have to replace one of the studs on the divers side. I used a hex cap screw, M10-1.50 x 40 to replace the stud that stays in the header.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:45 PM
Vance67

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Motoboat
Good news! Found the noise. So this is the culprit.

It was stuck here,

Can't believe it was such an easy fix, It must have become lodged on the forward drive shaft right next to the trans when i took it off with the impact wrench. I was sloppy in my haste to finish the job and I didnt pay attention to where it went.

Cats sound AWESOME. Although, like some say, its still not loud enough. I think I'm about halfway there. A moderate cat back system and i think it would really put me where i want it to sound.

Now knowing how these come on and off, and having picked up a few tricks. I wouldn't be afraid to tackle this project again. It was a pain, but most of it is just figuring out how to get your tools in there, once you have that, it starts to move along.

I did have to replace one of the studs on the divers side. I used a hex cap screw, M10-1.50 x 40 to replace the stud that stays in the header.
Happy to hear it was an easy fix!!

Don't forget about that DIY you mentioned you might doe for the cats! I just got mine last week and have been waiting for my master tech to install them, but if I can do it myself, I would much rather just get it done. Unfortunately for me, before the Gen 3 I installed this weekend, I haven't ever modded a car, so I'm hesitant to do this myself.

Hopefully you can make a DIY, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate it
Old 05-19-2014, 09:18 PM
Motoboat

Originally Posted by Vance67
Happy to hear it was an easy fix!!

Don't forget about that DIY you mentioned you might doe for the cats! I just got mine last week and have been waiting for my master tech to install them, but if I can do it myself, I would much rather just get it done. Unfortunately for me, before the Gen 3 I installed this weekend, I haven't ever modded a car, so I'm hesitant to do this myself.

Hopefully you can make a DIY, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate it
I took come pictures the other day that might help with the install if you decide to do it yourself. Its definitely not a job you want to do with limited tools. Hopefully ill get some time soon to do a small write up on some tips that might make those installs go easier. I know it would have helped me.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Motoboat

So over the weekend I decided to spice up the interior a bit. I've felt since buying the car that the interior is the weak spot of the G. Dont get me wrong, i love the car, i think it just needs a little help in this area.

Nothing drastic. I just wanted to add a different texture inside to break up the flat black and plastic look that to me, seemed to dominate the interior.

I used 3M carbon fiber wrap. I was originally going to use the metallic black that i used for the grill, but decided against it for two reasons. First, i think that the smooth vinyl would have shown the rougher texture of the plastic beneath it and i didn't want to sand it, yet. So i started with the carbon fiber wrap which leads to my second point. This wrap looks so much better in person than i thought it was going to. I had seen plenty of pictures before, but i was really impressed with how it looked once i finished the first piece that i decided to wrap all four of the door pulls and the center console.

I know, I know... its not "real carbon fiber" but i think this will do for now. I think this would also be a relatively easy part to do a carbon fiber overlay. So that might happen one day if i get the time.

pics could be better, but thats what you get when you use an iphone. Let me know what you guys think. I took some more pictures of the process if anyone want to see the steps. Not that im a pro at vinyl wrap yet.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:36 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I like that you didn't go nuts and wrap everything around the shifter, just the heated seat control panel. Between that and the door control panel, I'd stop there.

iphone pics notwithstanding, that looks pretty darn good.

Originally Posted by Rochester
But at idle, the absence of that cross-member bolted to the OEM cats is causing a vibration. It's not as big of a deal on the 6MT as it is for the 7AT, because my right foot is in charge of what happens when the left foot has the clutch.

Someone mentioned that removing the two solid rubber vibration dampers attached to the OEM mid-pipes actually reduces that vibration... which seems counter-intuitive, but considering the cross member is gone, maybe. IDK. I'm going to give it a try soon enough.
Removed those solid rubber dampers today, and the idle vibration is virtually gone. Go figure.

FYI, Motoboat.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-19-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:55 PM
Motoboat

So after five and a half long months!!!!!!!!

Can't wait, so far these wheels have exceeded all my expectations! They are way better in person than any of the pictures I have seen, truly a gorgeous wheel. The wait has been worth it! I cant wait to get them mounted!

Big thanks to Charles at B2autodesigns, He was extremely helpful and very patient with all of my endless questions.

Here's another with centercaps and lugs.

I'm not really sure if im sold on this combo yet, but once i get them on the car we'll see. Its an easy fix anyway. Let me know what you guys think. Wheel specs are 19x8.5 38 offset
Old 07-30-2014, 08:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Gunmetal lugs on a gloss silver wheel? That should work beautifully, Motoboat. When are you getting them mounted? And what brand lug nuts?

Not digging the center cap, though. Not at all. Do you have any options there?
Old 07-30-2014, 09:29 PM
Motoboat

Hopefully ill get time to have them mounted this weekend. They are Ray's duralumin 35mm, I think i might go with longer ones in the future to keep the socket away from the rim.

And about that centercap, im thinking the red rays one if i can find a set.
Like this:
Old 07-30-2014, 09:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

That ray cap is interesting. I'm also curious what your thoughts are on duralumin nuts after you use them a few times on and off.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:50 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Love those gramlights, very nice choice!
Charles is a great guy to deal with, glad it went well. Agree w/ Johns' take on the caps, the chrome and the fact that it extends from the hub is a bit off. A gunmetal cap that's flush would look nice if there's such a beast.
At any rate, hats off to you, they're gonna look Aces!

Quick Reply: Motoboat's progress thread