Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Abysmal Handling in Snow/Winter

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 08:04 PM
BigSpoon
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
I haven't had the stinger (with AS4 (245/40/18) in the snow yet. WFH affords me to skip out on such excitements.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Buy some snow tires for your stock 17's and be safe. Leave them on the wheels, don't look back.

Then before Spring, get yourself some decent 18" or 19" aftermarket wheels, with 3-season performance tires. Do the wheel swap dance twice a year.

An easy, proven mod for the Sedan is to get yourself a set of Sport Coupe 19's.
I thought about that back when I put these new tires on. Figured I didn't want to spend that $ at that time. Fast forward a few months to now.... Knowing how terrible Infinitis are in the snow apparently (compared to comparable vehicles like an 09 Audi A4 that doesn't need a "snow mode" button to get you out of tough spots), had I known what I know now, I'd have gone with the two sets of wheels/tires.

Do you know how much the Sport Coupe 19s wheel? Same offset/width/bolt pattern for front and rear and will fit a 2010 G37x sedan?

Originally Posted by iCrap
The snow mode locks the AWD from 0-20 mph and dulls the throttle response, as far as I know that's it. I'll usually put the car in manual mode and start in 2nd gear as well.

I have no issues in the snow with my G, I have Conti DWS tires on my winter wheels, but we don't piles of snow here. You really need proper winter tires.
Interesting. I'll have to look into this a bit more... but if the AWD isn't "locked" or doing full-time-AWD-things below 20mph, what the heck is it doing? lol
Old 02-02-2022, 10:19 PM
Muck_Man
Registered Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
The snow mode locks the AWD from 0-20 mph and dulls the throttle response, as far as I know that's it. I'll usually put the car in manual mode and start in 2nd gear as well.

I have no issues in the snow with my G, I have Conti DWS tires on my winter wheels, but we don't piles of snow here. You really need proper winter tires.
I have a '13XS with Michelin X-ice tires on all four sides, I also drove with all seasons for for a few years in the winter before getting the winters. I live in the middle of Canada where it is winter for 6 months of the year with lots of snow and frigid temperatures down to -45 Celsius very consistently. I have driven Jettas, Mustangs, and Civics in the winter and my G is by far the best in the snow, I would say it's almost as good as my Dad's 4x4 Silverado if it wasn't for the ground clearance advantage. Don't put it in 'snow mode' ! That just shows you down. Point it in the direction you want, step on the gas, and off you go!!! DS or floppy paddles also help with the fun factor
The following users liked this post:
BigSpoon (02-03-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 05:20 PM
Heimo24
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like tire issue. I’ve had 0 problems here in Finland with my import RWD 370GT. I got a set of forged 18” wheels for winter, put on some studded 225/50 Pirelli Ice-Zeros all around, and raised the car 1,5cm by adjusting coilovers. Can definitely recommend these tires to anyone living in an icy climate.
BigSpoon (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 07:31 PM
BigSpoon
Registered Member

Yeah, I probably should have gone with a set of winter tires when I bought the car back in Oct 2021. Instead I got the Michelin Pilot AS 4 thinking they'd be good enough for light winter driving around Denver, Colorado and next winter I would get a set of Michelin X-Ice or something and put the Pilots in the garage until needed.

Alas, what perfect timing this thread brings... last night I took an exit ramp off the highway, slid on some ice/snow into a sidewalk. Cracked both front wheels and god knows whatever else suspension wise probably. Car felt like a boat trying to turn, sliding on ice and having no control. I'm really bummed because I was just starting to get comfortable with my G37x and really start to like it. I've only had it since really like Dec 2021 because for the first two months of ownership it spent most of its time at the dealership getting fixed. Now my insurance is predicting a total loss and I'm sad AF. I just dumped thousands into maintenance, repairs, and upgrades. The only body damage is probably the front bumper, that's it. I don't know how they think it's totaled from suspension/wheel damage alone but hey, what do I know.

I hope it's not a total loss. But I am sad to think it probably is. I mean, a 12yr old car with 120k, probably doesn't take much to total. Thing is, have any of you paid any attention to the used car market at the moment? I've been looking at possible replacement vehicles all day today and constantly getting even more discouraged as the prices are downright insane. People are asking for new car prices on used cars. I don't know what I'm going to do... I don't know if I can find another G37x for the price I bought mine for. I got briefly excited at the possibility of getting into the 3.0t variant of the Q50. Yeah, $30-40k for something with 100k miles, yeah right. Not even a red sport. Every single car price is jacked to the moon. I can't even get a rental car because not a single rental car place in the entire metro area of Denver CO have any available cars. Not even the airport. It's not like Denver isn't populated or anything lol jesus christ

I want to stay Infiniti but how with current costs? I saw a Ford Fusion Sport with the 2.7 twin turbo AWD that's appealing. Sigh, if only I had better tires and pushed the snow button...
Old 02-22-2022, 07:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,427 Posts
I'm genuinely sorry to hear your story. That's quite a tragedy, compounded by a fcked up car market.

That Fusion Sport is a total sleeper. Few people even know that car existed. You're right... very appealing.
BigSpoon (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 04:27 PM
BigSpoon
Registered Member

I used to run michelinx xice2 on a rwd sedan S (6mt). Mounted to 18x8 wheels, 225/50/18. The car was driveable in the snow, but not very confidence inspiring. That is, it took off without too much drama so long as throttle was light. Sometimes even took off in 2nd. Stopping was great, turning sucked *****. Tire had lots of thread on it, 7-8/32nds. This was a tire from 10 years ago. Hopefully today's xice has improved. Although if I were buying winter tires again, I'd probably go with a General tire of some sort.

I haven't had the stinger (with AS4 (245/40/18) in the snow yet. WFH affords me to skip out on such excitements.
Buy some snow tires for your stock 17's and be safe. Leave them on the wheels, don't look back.

Then before Spring, get yourself some decent 18" or 19" aftermarket wheels, with 3-season performance tires. Do the wheel swap dance twice a year.

An easy, proven mod for the Sedan is to get yourself a set of Sport Coupe 19's.
I'm genuinely sorry to hear your story. That's quite a tragedy, compounded by a fcked up car market.

That Fusion Sport is a total sleeper. Few people even know that car existed. You're right... very appealing.
1000%. I am hoping and praying it's not a total loss I hope they can just replace the wheels and brakes and suspension components or whatever.
Old 02-23-2022, 05:11 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,427 Posts
If you're curious about the Fusion Sport twin-turbo, cast a wider net for the Lincoln MKZ 3.0T. That's 400hp, AWD, luxury and drop-dead gorgeous looks.

IMO
BigSpoon (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 09:41 PM
BigSpoon
Registered Member

Talking

If you're curious about the Fusion Sport twin-turbo, cast a wider net for the Lincoln MKZ 3.0T. That's 400hp, AWD, luxury and drop-dead gorgeous looks.

IMO
OoOoOo I had no idea! Thanks for the tip. Those things look crazy underrated lol 500tq to the wheels with just a tune? Lol
Old 02-23-2022, 09:44 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
AWD model #4300! That's one fat pig. Only 6spd trans. And it's a ford. Hmm... Pass.
The following 2 users liked this post by JSolo:
BigSpoon (02-24-2022), stealthee (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 12:27 AM
BigSpoon
Registered Member

Arrow

AWD model #4300! That's one fat pig. Only 6spd trans. And it's a ford. Hmm... Pass.
Not gonna lie, it's certainly capable of kicking some you-know-what! I had no idea until Roch mentioned it. Sort out outta my price league though. Then again, everything is. I saw an article today saying 1-3yr old vehicles are selling for 20-30% MORE than they did when brand new. WTF! lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vgFP1vtGiI
Old 02-25-2022, 03:54 AM
Blooeyz
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spun out soooo many times in my g37x

I finally learned to plan my tire purchases around winter. Seemed like I did great the first winter, ok then second winter and would get new rubber the following fall. I also learned to use continental extreme contact tires. Ooo and not drive much in the snow. Used my ex or sons bmws which never got stuck although hers had studded tires and his was real awd
Old 01-19-2023, 01:23 PM
mattb2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigSpoon
Lol I aim to please

Yes, I am fully aware that AWD alone isn't a magic pill. All Wheel Drive can often mean All Wheel Slide without good tires. All I wanted to say I guess was how disappointed I am compared to cars like an 09 Audi A4 with sh*ttier tires than mine handling snow driving better than my G37x. Hell, to your point, I've had FWD cars with decent AS tires handle better than my G is currently handling with AWD and arguably the best AS tires money can buy.

Good to know there's nothing wrong with the car I guess, it's just not the best-designed feature of our cars....

Snow tires, studs, and chains HERE WE GO/COME! lol

Blizzaks vs X-Ice. Nothing else matters.
I had similar issues with mine yesterday here in Colorado. I'm a fairly conservative driver, and I was scared driving this thing in the snow yesterday. It was all over the place. I purchased the vehicle about a month ago and it came with Falken Pro G4 A/S with a decent amount of tread left. Could be the tires, but also curious as the VDC never kicked in (at least no visual indicator) when the car was sliding. It was bad enough that I switched over to our 4Runner instead (had no issues - have older Defenders on it). We also have a 2WD Sienna (with newer Continental Cross Contacts) and it handled confidently without any issues. Going to have the tires checked out this weekend and start there. The G37x replaced an Audi A4 that was a dream to drive in these conditions.
Old 01-15-2024, 08:13 AM
camopaint0707
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Snow tires can make all the difference
Old 01-16-2024, 10:22 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
It's not only the tread design on snow tires, but the rubber compound that make a huge difference. A/S tires simply don't handle the extremely low subfreezing temps we've had over the past week. My /07 Versa SL HB has Michelin X-Ice tires all round and is my main winter car. The G37xS mostly stays in the garage, but the BFG G-Force A/S tires can venture out if necessary.