Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Knocking from going over bumps and sometimes turning

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 01:22 PM
TS94

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Knocking from going over bumps and sometimes turning

Hi guys. I have a knocking noise coming from the front of my car, I think it's on the driver side. It happens most of the time when I go over bumps, sometimes when turning, stopping and going again (like at a red light). Took it to a mechanic for the 2nd time and he couldn't find anything, he initially thought it could be the bushing for the lower control arm, but he couldn't find anything. He then recommended I take it to the dealership... Im still doubtful of the apprentice/new mechanic at the shop that looked at the car... (he said he owned a few infinitis in the past and worked on em... so maybe he really couldn't find anything?).

Anyhow, has anyone experienced this type of issue? Link to the video below I took of me driving over a very bumpy road.
2010 G37x 143k kms.

Google Photos link:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rV7LW4FKTtjEvaTp6
Old 05-01-2019, 02:28 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Do you have OEM or aftermarket suspension? Two things come to mind.

1. Pop the hood and check the strut mounts. Make sure the nuts are tight.
2. Could be the sway bar end links. This is common from what I've seen around here. I've heard (but not tried myself so YMMV) you can test this if you disconnect the end links and either remove the sway bar or zip tie it to prevent it from moving and check for noise. Don't drive like this for long or far though.

GL!
Old 05-01-2019, 04:23 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Only zip-tie the loose end link to the bar so it doesn't get whacked when driving around or make a racket which could hide noise from the other end. You'll want to do one end at a time.
The following users liked this post:
NealP (05-02-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 08:25 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Upper shock mount(s) could be leaking, known to cause knocking/clunking when this happens.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:33 PM
TS94

Fixed! The noise went away today!

Originally Posted by NealP
Do you have OEM or aftermarket suspension? Two things come to mind.

1. Pop the hood and check the strut mounts. Make sure the nuts are tight.
2. Could be the sway bar end links. This is common from what I've seen around here. I've heard (but not tried myself so YMMV) you can test this if you disconnect the end links and either remove the sway bar or zip tie it to prevent it from moving and check for noise. Don't drive like this for long or far though.

GL!
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Only zip-tie the loose end link to the bar so it doesn't get whacked when driving around or make a racket which could hide noise from the other end. You'll want to do one end at a time.
Originally Posted by blnewt
Upper shock mount(s) could be leaking, known to cause knocking/clunking when this happens.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:32 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Nice!
What did you do or what was found to cause this in your car?
Old 05-05-2019, 11:48 AM
TS94

Originally Posted by blnewt
Nice!
What did you do or what was found to cause this in your car?
I didn't have to do anything. I was having a BBQ at the park with the family and my dad had to run down the road to pick something up... He was driving over a bridge and the van's tire beside him blew, lost control, (steering stuck in left position) and the van rammed into my car...

You can see where the car went over the bridge wall for a few feet.

Car is totalled.

I just plasti-dipped the grill about 2 weeks ago. Was going to plasti dip the emblems on the trunk later today... And my front license plate relocation kit is in the mail somewhere.

​​​​​​I'm glad my dad is ok, he's got a bit of whiplash.. the fire chief at scene said to buy a lottery ticket because he was surprised the car didn't go over the wall. I'm happy my dad was driving my car and not his Prius (that thing would've folded like paper)

As for the Toyota Sienna... The guy was driving on bald tires or something..! His first driver side tire blew, and then the passenger and the rear right blew.

I'm so pissed! Whatever.. it's just an object and can be replaced... But i also only had it for a month and half.. I just started understanding the car.. the weather was finally nice enough to enjoy it .. oh well. **** happens i guess..
Old 05-05-2019, 11:51 AM
TS94

The picture of the van that hit my car... (My dad driving the g37x for the first time... And this happened) Unfortunate.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:06 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Oh, hell. That's a horrible way to fix a noise. Hopefully, no one was hurt.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:09 PM
TS94

Yeah .. it's sad. I'm glad my dad's good. I haven't even bothered to look at cars. Still so upset lol.

Picking my rental up tomorrow, it's the other guys fault, so I'm not worried. Just trying to figure out how much insurance will pay me out for the car..
Old 05-05-2019, 08:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Wow, now that wasn't the answer I was expecting. Sorry to see that, glad dad's ok and hopefully that driver has good insurance and you'll get fair value. Hopefully you'll get another G if that's what you're wanting, keep us posted and good luck through this!