How to tell if alignment was done after alignment service

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 10:05 PM
Gshockneo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to tell if alignment was done after alignment service

I took my car to mechanic today for alignment check because I was feeling, it's not driving properly on freeways. Tire pressure was also low so that might have been the reason of not so good balance but I also got my rear tires changed so I thought it would be good to have alignment check done.

After service, I was told that there was a little adjustment needed in alignment and tire pressure was very low and they fixed both and I returned happily.

But when I saw the receipt and a document later he had given me, it no where tells about what readings were before and after the service. I saw there was one paper on which readings were hand written when I was in shop and I assumed he had given me that paper but he didn't.

So I wanted to ask, could it be possible for him to just say that alignment was done and charge me. Even if I go back and ask for that document containing readings, Is it possible that he wrote some readings which are not accurate since they are not generated and printed directly by computer.

I am new to cars to just learning all this.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2014, 10:31 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Does it drive straight? Does it pull to one side if you let go of the wheel, or if you brake?

If it is driving fine, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:42 AM
Gshockneo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MACS
Does it drive straight? Does it pull to one side if you let go of the wheel, or if you brake?

If it is driving fine, I wouldn't worry about it.
It is driving fine now at least. I haven't tried leaving wheel. But again I am not very good judge yet in telling if it's due to alignment or road inclination. Sometimes it starts driving bad due to poor road also.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:00 AM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Gshockneo
I took my car to mechanic today for alignment check because I was feeling, it's not driving properly on freeways. Tire pressure was also low so that might have been the reason of not so good balance but I also got my rear tires changed so I thought it would be good to have alignment check done.

After service, I was told that there was a little adjustment needed in alignment and tire pressure was very low and they fixed both and I returned happily.

But when I saw the receipt and a document later he had given me, it no where tells about what readings were before and after the service. I saw there was one paper on which readings were hand written when I was in shop and I assumed he had given me that paper but he didn't.

So I wanted to ask, could it be possible for him to just say that alignment was done and charge me. Even if I go back and ask for that document containing readings, Is it possible that he wrote some readings which are not accurate since they are not generated and printed directly by computer.

I am new to cars to just learning all this.

Thanks
Of course, an unscrupulous shop could simply tell you they performed a repair when in fact they may not have - an alignment is no exception.

Today's modern alignment machines print out before and after settings. You can ask them for these details but if they weren't printed out at the time of the service they may not be available on the future if you retirement to ask for them. You could also look under your car and see if the adjustment bolts for the various suspension components toe, camber/caster & thrust angle show signs of recent manipulation (i.e. Clean marks or new metal visible that wasn't there before the alignment).

FYI - You should keep an eye on your tire pressure, it has a significant affect on your tire wear & longevity. I have found that the sweet spot for the stock 19" rubber & summer driving is 40psi.