Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Power steering boiling. (Video attached)

Old 06-22-2018, 06:21 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Vacuum old fluid and add new trans fluid. Do this a few times and it's as close you can get to a drain refill. Get a cheap Turkey baster and use old spray bottle to get last few drops. Spray into the bottle while you have the straw in the ps fluid
Old 06-22-2018, 10:19 PM
Curtis Roberts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by qmantran
........ the power steering rack does not fall into the powertrain warranty. Neither does the exhaust.

Do you know what a powertrain is? The powertrain of a vehicle generally consists of the engine and transmission.

OP regarding your concern of the fluid "boiling ", this is completely normal behavior however it's not actually boiling.

the fluid is just recirculating. The pump is causing the fluid to move around in the reservoir. It's normal to see it moving in a vortex like flow.

I work for toyota and some of our vehicles do the same. Some more than others. I noticed in my G it's definitely recirculating at a much higher flow rate than other cars.

I have 84k on my 2011 g37 and my boots don't have signs of oil.

Honestly your rack boots aren't leaking badly enough right now to worry about. Just keep an eye out on your power steering fluid level. If it ever gets low than you know the leak has gotten worse. Also keep an eye out for new oil stains where you normally park at work or home.

it's very possible that the leak is very small and you can make it to 150,000 with no issues.

or it will get worse and ultimately require a new rack which will easily run 4-5 hours labor @ $150/hr at a infiniti dealership + the price of parts + tax + equipment/disposal fees
Well that eases my mind a lot! I baby this girl. I been averaging over 25mpg and a lot of it City and waiting in line at banks drive ins etc. The first tank I got 16. With the G I have noticed how much of a lead foot I had. I used to drive a Saturn Aura that was ***** to the walls every day. And my wife’s 2014 GMC Terrain. Haha. This I’m coasting to stop signs, rarely using my brakes, pulling out slow etc. I still get on her to pass here and there but I’m very happy so far with my G. As for the power steering I haven’t noticed any fluid loss and I check the boot here and there. No new wetness it seems. Wow that is a lot from a dealership for a rack too. I got a local certified mechanic that quoted to change out the rack only 150. He’s a really good friend though and does phenomenal work. If it worsens I will have him change it. Thank you for taking the time to answer
Old 06-22-2018, 10:23 PM
Curtis Roberts

The dealer I got my G from said there wasn’t any recalls right now. Should I call an Infiniti dealer and see if they have the TSB on the reservoir?

What color is the power steering fluid supposed to be? My Saturn had a closed system so never could see it. In the daytime mine looks blue. I want to do a flush myself and what is best to use? Only the best for her!
Old 06-23-2018, 07:29 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
It uses atf fluid so cherry limeade color
Old 06-26-2018, 01:33 PM
Curtis Roberts

I also checked all TSB and recalls for my year make and model and none of them have anything to do with power steering resevoir. Perhaps I am missing something?

https://www.automd.com/recall-tsb/se...=2012&s=recall
Old 06-26-2018, 03:58 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ml#post4175427

Here's my original thread when I first discovered this issue.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...ine-noise.html

Last edited by JSolo; 06-26-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:06 PM
Cross country X

I also had a similar issue/concern when I replaced my PSF in my 12x sedan at 75k, it looked somewhat dirty and was also bubbling when hot. Dealer wanted $150.... I used a stainless turkey baster to remove and replace two quarts, first with a bottle of Eneos ATF and then Redline D6. It stopped the fluid bubbling, it's now just a minor surface motion,even after hard driving and the Redline seems to maintain near the same level whether hot or cold. Steering feels buttery smooth,and zero noise, sounds or groans. Cannot guarantee of course, but Redline is rarely a bad choice for our cars.