Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Misc Brake Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 11:31 AM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Misc Brake Questions

I have a 2008 G37S coupe and this summer I will be changing my pads, rotors, and bleeding the system with new fluid. I'm going to be slowly gathering the parts and supplies and wanted to use this thread for the various questions that will arise rather than creating a new thread every time a question comes up.

So...

1 - to bleed the system, I'm going to be picking up a Motive Power Bleeder that everyone talks about. However, I'm not sure which model I will need as the listed models only point to American/European cars only. Anyone know which model I'll need?

2 - from what I've read, the bleeding sequence is passenger rear, driver front, driver rear, passenger front. Question: does it matter which nipple we bleed first on the caliper? The outter first or inner first?

3 - as far as pads go, I want something quiet with little dust. I plan on going with Centric Posi-quiet Ceramics. Can someone verify that I have the correct part numbers?
  • FRONT: 105.13460
  • REAR: 105.13470
Rotors is where I'm having a hard time deciding on what I want. If I go with blanks, I plan on going with Centric Premium blanks. However, I may decide on slotted rotors just because I like the way they look.

4 - I am interested in either Centric or Stoptech slotted rotors but do not know which one is "better." I know that Centric is the parent company of Stoptech but is there one preferred over the other? Is there even a difference?

5 - can someone verify the following part numbers? I just want to make sure since there are so many different parts listed for the vehicle.

CENTRIC PREMIUM BLANKS:
  • FRONT: 120.42100
  • REAR: 120.42101
CENTRIC SLOTTED:
DRIVER--------------------PASSENGER
  • FRONT: 126.42100SL-----------------126.42100SR
  • REAR: 126.42101SL-------------------126.42101SR
STOPTECH SLOTTED:
My apologies for the many questions but thank you for any help provided!!
Old 03-02-2016, 11:52 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I'll just answer in bold in your text
Originally Posted by sLADe781
I have a 2008 G37S coupe and this summer I will be changing my pads, rotors, and bleeding the system with new fluid. I'm going to be slowly gathering the parts and supplies and wanted to use this thread for the various questions that will arise rather than creating a new thread every time a question comes up.

So...

1 - to bleed the system, I'm going to be picking up a Motive Power Bleeder that everyone talks about. However, I'm not sure which model I will need as the listed models only point to American/European cars only. Anyone know which model I'll need?http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Product.../dp/B00CJ5DWKO

2 - from what I've read, the bleeding sequence is passenger rear, driver front, driver rear, passenger front. Question: does it matter which nipple we bleed first on the caliper? The outter first or inner first?Outer, you want the outermost cleared of bubbles before moving inward, and be sure all your rubber bleeder caps are in good condition

3 - as far as pads go, I want something quiet with little dust. I plan on going with Centric Posi-quiet Ceramics. Can someone verify that I have the correct part numbers?
  • FRONT: 105.13460 Correct pad #s
  • REAR: 105.13470
Rotors is where I'm having a hard time deciding on what I want. If I go with blanks, I plan on going with Centric Premium blanks. However, I may decide on slotted rotors just because I like the way they look.

4 - I am interested in either Centric or Stoptech slotted rotors but do not know which one is "better." I know that Centric is the parent company of Stoptech but is there one preferred over the other? Is there even a difference? Similar, not sure if the Stoptech slotted are just slotted versions of the Centric Premiums but should be very close, both offer better venting than teh C-Teks and OEM rotors and both have rustproofing.

5 - can someone verify the following part numbers? I just want to make sure since there are so many different parts listed for the vehicle.

CENTRIC PREMIUM BLANKS:
  • FRONT: 120.42100 Correct on these two
  • REAR: 120.42101
CENTRIC SLOTTED: You got all the others correct, so just go on rockauto to verify since you're acing the test, lol
STOPTECH SLOTTED:
My apologies for the many questions but thank you for any help provided!!
The following 2 users liked this post by blnewt:
kennyz424 (03-03-2016), MaQG37 (05-04-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 05:38 AM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
"1 - to bleed the system, I'm going to be picking up a Motive Power Bleeder that everyone talks about. However, I'm not sure which model I will need as the listed models only point to American/European cars only. Anyone know which model I'll need?
http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Product.../dp/B00CJ5DWKO http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Product.../dp/B00CJ5DWKO
" "

The link is to Motive Power Bleeder model 101. Shouldn't it be model 107?

UCLAg37
Old 03-03-2016, 08:55 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by UCLAG37
"1 - to bleed the system, I'm going to be picking up a Motive Power Bleeder that everyone talks about. However, I'm not sure which model I will need as the listed models only point to American/European cars only. Anyone know which model I'll need?http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Product.../dp/B00CJ5DWKO "The link is to Motive Power Bleeder model 101. Shouldn't it be model 107?

UCLAg37
Here's the wording under that 101 model, but maybe the 107 is even better adapted for Nissan/Infiniti

Universal POWER BLEEDERTM Brake & Clutch System Bleeder Fits most imported and late model American cars Motive Products Universal POWER BLEEDERTM Bleeder works on most imported and late model American cars, including many GM, Ford, and Chrysler vehicles. Also fits most Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota, Subaru and all other cars with a round hydraulic fluid reservoir smaller than 3.5 inches across. Comes with MP1101 adapter. POWER BLEEDERTM Features: * Heavy duty 2 quart pressure tank holds enough fluid to do complete flush & bleed. * Built-in hand pump (no other pressure source is needed) * Precision pressure gauge ensures safe and effective operation. * Tested for compatibility with both standard and synthetic hydraulic fluids. All bleeders come with everything you need to bleed your hydraulic brake or clutch system and a full 1 year warranty.
The following users liked this post:
kennyz424 (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 09:56 AM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
CENTRIC SLOTTED: You got all the others correct, so just go on rockauto to verify since you're acing the test, lol

lol - thank you Brad!! Yeah I'm pretty sure I got the right part numbers down but just wanted to make sure since having to ship things back is such a hassle.

Originally Posted by blnewt
4 - I am interested in either Centric or Stoptech slotted rotors but do not know which one is "better." I know that Centric is the parent company of Stoptech but is there one preferred over the other? Is there even a difference? Similar, not sure if the Stoptech slotted are just slotted versions of the Centric Premiums but should be very close, both offer better venting than teh C-Teks and OEM rotors and both have rustproofing.

I think I wasn't very clear here. What I meant to say was that I found both slotted Centric rotors and slotted Stoptech rotors and wasn't sure if one was necessarily better than the other?

Originally Posted by UCLAg37
The link is to Motive Power Bleeder model 101. Shouldn't it be model 107?

UCLAg37

For those who have this bleeder which model do you have?
Old 03-03-2016, 08:09 PM
Baby Jumpman
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Brake Bleeding According to that link it should be 107.
blnewt (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 10:20 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Baby Jumpman
Brake Bleeding According to that link it should be 107.
On the Motive site it looks like the 101 & 107 will work, but the 101 is a more universal fit, whereas the 107 is more specific if that makes sense. It would seem that the 107 would be the better choice if you're going to use it on just Asian cars & Fords, and the 101 on any vehicle that has a round opening to the Master Cylinder 3.5" or smaller.
Import Power Bleeder Kits - Motive Products
kennyz424 (03-03-2016)

Trending Topics

Old 03-03-2016, 11:11 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Blnewt.... after seeing the time and effort taken to answer his questions, which even if was easy for you, I gotta say YOU'RE THE MAN! They also answered some questions I had! Thanks brother
blnewt (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 11:30 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Lol, there's many threads that I end up learning more along the way than what I contribute, so that adds to the intrigue
kennyz424 (03-04-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 08:47 AM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

I finally got around to bleeding my brakes with the Motive Power Bleeder 107 this weekend. Before I lifted up the car, I wanted to test to seal of the bleeder. After pumping up the bleeder tank, the cap that fits over the brake reservoir wouldn't hold a seal. I tried numerous times but I could hear the hissing sound of air leaking right at the cap.

I'm going to call Motive this week and see what they will do for me. I'm considering buying the aluminum cap which appears to have a tighter fit. You can also buy the black label version of the 107 which I didn't know about until after my purchase which does come with the aluminum cap instead of the plastic one.

As a side note, be careful as you twist the bleeder cap on to the brake reservoir threading as small pieces of twisted plastic from the soft plastic of the bleeder cap may fall into your reservoir.

Here's a good DIY with video from the 370Z forum.

DIY: How to Bleed Your Brake Fluid Using Motive Power Bleeder 0117 (AK370Z) - Nissan 370Z Forum

UCLAg37
blnewt (03-06-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 02:01 PM
sLADe781
Registered Member

I finally got around to bleeding my brakes with the Motive Power Bleeder 107 this weekend. Before I lifted up the car, I wanted to test to seal of the bleeder. After pumping up the bleeder tank, the cap that fits over the brake reservoir wouldn't hold a seal. I tried numerous times but I could hear the hissing sound of air leaking right at the cap.

I'm going to call Motive this week and see what they will do for me. I'm considering buying the aluminum cap which appears to have a tighter fit. You can also buy the black label version of the 107 which I didn't know about until after my purchase which does come with the aluminum cap instead of the plastic one.

As a side note, be careful as you twist the bleeder cap on to the brake reservoir threading as small pieces of twisted plastic from the soft plastic of the bleeder cap may fall into your reservoir.

Here's a good DIY with video from the 370Z forum.

DIY: How to Bleed Your Brake Fluid Using Motive Power Bleeder 0117 (AK370Z) - Nissan 370Z Forum

UCLAg37

Hey UCLAG37, what year is your G? I wonder if there's a difference in the containers? I actually e-mailed Motive last week and they responded back and said either 0107 or 0117 will work but the leaking cap is disconcerting.

Please report back once you speak with them. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2016, 05:00 AM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sLADe781
Hey UCLAG37, what year is your G? I wonder if there's a difference in the containers? I actually e-mailed Motive last week and they responded back and said either 0107 or 0117 will work but the leaking cap is disconcerting.

Please report back once you speak with them. Thanks!
So here's the deal with the air leaking issue. I spoke with Motive today and they told me it is possible that I have one of the older plastic adapter caps which has been improved with a better plastic. There may be sellers on Amazon who are selling the bleeders but are selling the older versions with the softer plastic caps that have had leak issues. (Motive said that they don't sell directly on Amazon or Ebay.) BTW, I bought the bleeder only a few months ago on Amazon and just opened the box over the weekend. For my trouble, Motive as a one time courtesy will send me the aluminum cap after I mail them the plastic cap that I have.

sLADe781: I suggest paying a few bucks more and buy the 117 model with the aluminum cap to begin with especially since you will probably do several brake bleeds over the course of ownership of your vehicle.

Amazon.com: Motive Products 0117 Power Bleeder: Automotive Amazon.com: Motive Products 0117 Power Bleeder: Automotive

BTW, my 08 has the same master cylinder reservoir that you do.

Good luck!

UCLAg37
blnewt (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 12:10 PM
sLADe781
Registered Member

sLADe781: I suggest paying a few bucks more and buy the 117 model with the aluminum cap to begin with especially since you will probably do several brake bleeds over the course of ownership of your vehicle.

Amazon.com: Motive Products 0117 Power Bleeder: Automotive

BTW, my 08 has the same master cylinder reservoir that you do.

Good luck!

UCLAg37

Will do - thank you for reporting back!
Old 03-11-2016, 04:43 PM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

Motive sent me the replacement aluminum adapter cap as promised. This cap feels heavy, solid and is a finely polished. Let's hope it works as well as it looks. The other cap felt like a glorified 16 ounce plastic soda bottle cap compared to this one. In the next couple of weeks when my schedule frees up, I will give the bleeder a go and report back.

UCLAg37

blnewt (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 11:37 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Nice upgrade and nice customer service!