Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Another Brake/Rotor Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 02:56 PM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Another Brake/Rotor Thread

Okay guys, I need to replace my pads and rotors and need a bit of help figuring out what will work best for my application. My car is mainly a weekend car with occasional spirited driving but nothing too serious. I have a 2008 G37S coupe and need help on deciding what type of rotors/pads to go with.

For the rotors, I plan to stick with Centric as I have read many good reviews on them. My questions are:
  1. do I go with blanks or slotted rotors? I am staying away from crossdrilled as I've ready stories of cracking. However, I do like the aesthetics on them which is why I am interested in slotted rotors as a compromise between the two. Not sure if slotted rotors are prone to cracking/warping though...thoughts? Any recommendations for a pair of good blanks and good slotted rotors? Still haven't decided which way to go yet. This one is mainly for looks but if it will cause problems down the road I will probably just go with blanks
  2. I've read that there are different sizes of rotors (320mm, 330mm, 350mm, 355mm etc etc) and I am unsure which one my G falls under. I believe it's 355mm front and 350mm rear. Can someone confirm this for me?
For pads, I am debating between Centric and Hawk pads. I would like a set that gives good stopping power without much brake dust. Is there a preferece of one over the other? Also what type of material is recommended (ceramic, metallic, semi-metallic, etc etc )

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:03 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
You've got the 355mm front 350mm rear rotors. I'd stick w/ Centric premium blanks and I like the Stoptech Street Pads, dust more but bite more, tradeoff is worth it IMO.
Check RockAuto Parts Catalog for good pricing.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:57 AM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply blnewt. Do you have any recommendation with less brake dust than the Stoptech for the pads by any chance?

How has everyone's experience been with ordering from Rockauto? The reason I ask is that last summer I ordered a set of pads, rotors, and drums for me wife's car and when the package arrived, it was completely ripped with the packaging (peanuts) and parts falling out of the box. I don't know if it's Rockauto to blame or if it's UPS' fault but c'mon, who in their right mind would use peanuts to pack heavy rotors? There's like no protection at all. So I'm not sure if my experience was an isolated incident or if this is common but I've been a bit weary to order from them recently.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:08 AM
GHOST2.2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive ordered a bunch of stuff from my previous car from rockauto and had a good experience. I don't think every part comes exactly from rockauto itself. Sometimes they would order directly from the company that produces the part and have it shipped from that warehouse.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:10 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

The Posi Quiet Ceramics would dust less and still provide decent bite, just a step down in overall performance, but if brake dust drives you crazy it would be worth considering.
As far as rockauto, I think I'd give them a call prior to placing your order and let them know you've had issues w/ the packing of the rotors, maybe they've stepped it up as of late and its' not going to be an issue

Might also check KNSbrakes.com they're an on site vendor w/ great customer service and should have all the parts you're considering.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:37 PM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Okay so I have another question and I'm not sure if I should start a new thread or if I should just continue on this one but am hoping someone can help me here before opening a new thread.

So recently, my brakes have been squealing really bad whenever I brake. I believe the squealing is coming from the driver side but whenever I have someone standing outside to listen for it, I can never duplicate the sound. Of course as soon as we start driving again, it squeals like a pig.

Anyways, so I've read about greasing the shims and the backing plates. I will try that but I am also wondering...how can one tell if the brake lines are bent/kinked?

The reason I ask is that when I was changing out my clutch master cylinder, I unbolted the ABS module so I can pull it towards the front of the car to allow for more room for the MC to come out (I followed these instructions here - post #3). I do not believe that I bent anything but after I put everything back, the car started sqealing when I took it out for a test drive. Is it possible that maybe I did bend something afterall? Any way to check for sure?

I will grease the shims and backing plate over the weekend but am thinking ahead in case of a worst case scenario (really hoping not).
Old 06-01-2015, 10:45 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by sLADe781
Okay so I have another question and I'm not sure if I should start a new thread or if I should just continue on this one but am hoping someone can help me here before opening a new thread.

So recently, my brakes have been squealing really bad whenever I brake. I believe the squealing is coming from the driver side but whenever I have someone standing outside to listen for it, I can never duplicate the sound. Of course as soon as we start driving again, it squeals like a pig.

Anyways, so I've read about greasing the shims and the backing plates. I will try that but I am also wondering...how can one tell if the brake lines are bent/kinked?

The reason I ask is that when I was changing out my clutch master cylinder, I unbolted the ABS module so I can pull it towards the front of the car to allow for more room for the MC to come out (I followed these instructions here - post #3). I do not believe that I bent anything but after I put everything back, the car started sqealing when I took it out for a test drive. Is it possible that maybe I did bend something afterall? Any way to check for sure?

I will grease the shims and backing plate over the weekend but am thinking ahead in case of a worst case scenario (really hoping not).
Unless the line is rubbing against something causing the sound, but bent or kinked wouldn't make a squeak. And if it only occurs when pressing on the brakes then most likely it's pad vibration (this occurs mainly w/ light pedal pressures at slower speeds). Hopefully the grease will take car of the noise.
G/L
Old 06-06-2015, 10:25 PM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Unless the line is rubbing against something causing the sound, but bent or kinked wouldn't make a squeak. And if it only occurs when pressing on the brakes then most likely it's pad vibration (this occurs mainly w/ light pedal pressures at slower speeds). Hopefully the grease will take car of the noise.
G/L
Many thanks blnewt!! I took everything apart and greased all 4 corners and the squealing is gone!!
Old 06-07-2015, 12:23 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by sLADe781
Many thanks blnewt!! I took everything apart and greased all 4 corners and the squealing is gone!!
Hopefully they'll stay silent for a long time
Old 06-08-2015, 09:43 PM
mmnjtwa

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I ordered custom slotted and dimpled rotors from Adam's rotors; I also had the hubs painted. They looked great on my last car, and didn't have to worry about cracking. I don't need new rotors for my car yet, but still thinking I may end up ordering some for my G strictly for aesthetic purposes. My old car (Volvo S60R) was able to use Akebono pads from the Cadillac CTS-V (ASP1001 & EUR592) and they worked well and had virtually no brake dust. Not sure the pad fitment for Infiniti, but you may want to try something similar to those.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:28 PM
adamsrotors
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
thanks for recommending.

let us know if we can help. have a look at our site!
Old 10-05-2015, 06:10 PM
gmanny86
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
You've got the 355mm front 350mm rear rotors. I'd stick w/ Centric premium blanks and I like the Stoptech Street Pads, dust more but bite more, tradeoff is worth it IMO.
Check RockAuto Parts Catalog for good pricing.

Hi Blnewt,
Are Power Stop pads and rotors any good? I'm looking at Rockauto but they don't have anything from Stoptech. I have a 2012 g37s.
Thanks in advance!
Old 10-05-2015, 06:33 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by gmanny86
Hi Blnewt,
Are Power Stop pads and rotors any good? I'm looking at Rockauto but they don't have anything from Stoptech. I have a 2012 g37s.
Thanks in advance!
Rockauto has the Stoptech pads, and the Centric rotors which are the parent company of Stoptech. Scroll to the bottom section of pads and you"ll see CENTRIC Stoptech pads. And If you go to the Rotor section scroll about halfway down to get the Centric Premium rotors or scroll down even further and you'll find the Stoptech drilled or Slotted rotors. Either of them should perform better than the Powerstop sets.
The following users liked this post:
gmanny86 (10-06-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 09:22 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Drilled/slotted/dimpled...frankly anything but blanks are going to give you diminished performance. Substance over style. Stick with a quality blank and spend the money on better pads.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:26 AM
gmanny86
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thank blnewt and Victory! I'm about to place an order for StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads and Centric Premium rotors! Do any of you know if the disc brake hardware is included with the pads or do I have to purchase that separately? Thanks

Quick Reply: Another Brake/Rotor Thread