Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Control Issues - Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:41 PM
YellowJacket

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Control Issues - Tires?

OK, I have a 09 G37x that has Dunlop Sport Signatures (225/50/18) all around. Not my choice as they were brand new and came on the car when I bought it.

The problem that I am having is kind of interesting. When I approach a stop light and the road is "indented" from heavy vehicles, it seems like the car gets a little more difficult to control and the wheel wants to pull and the tires follow the channels.

Also, on back roads in places where the road has been patched, when riding over the patched area, the car wants to pull.

Tire pressure is 33 psi cold on all 4 tires. No unusual wear patterns. Does not feel like anything is out of balance, and on a smooth highway surface the alignment seems spot on.

The Accord I used to drive never did this on the same roads, but of course the G is a much higher performance car than it.

Thanks for any input.

David
Old 02-20-2013, 07:45 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by YellowJacket
OK, I have a 09 G37x that has Dunlop Sport Signatures (225/50/18) all around. Not my choice as they were brand new and came on the car when I bought it.

The problem that I am having is kind of interesting. When I approach a stop light and the road is "indented" from heavy vehicles, it seems like the car gets a little more difficult to control and the wheel wants to pull and the tires follow the channels.

Also, on back roads in places where the road has been patched, when riding over the patched area, the car wants to pull.

Tire pressure is 33 psi cold on all 4 tires. No unusual wear patterns. Does not feel like anything is out of balance, and on a smooth highway surface the alignment seems spot on.

The Accord I used to drive never did this on the same roads, but of course the G is a much higher performance car than it.

Thanks for any input.

David

There are threads on this with the G. New tires will help but it won't take it way completely. I can't remember the reasons given as like I say after a bit you get used to it and don't notice anymore.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:43 PM
YellowJacket

Thanks, I've been reading through hundreds of threads and can't really find any that sound the same as whats happening to me.

No problems when braking, no "shudder". Since the tires are almost brand new, I really can't justify putting some new ones on only to find out it was a suspension problem.

I drove a G37 sedan the other day while mine was in for service to fix the battery drain issue and noticed that the sedan drove much diferently than my coupe.

I'll continue to search but would really appreciate some guidance to previous threads about it.

Thanks,

David
Old 02-20-2013, 09:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Might want to do a search on "tramlining" sounds like it may be what you're experiencing. BTW, I put 20k on Dunlop Sport Signatures (245/35/20) and thought they were a pretty good All Season tire, never had any issues w/ them.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:58 PM
YellowJacket

Originally Posted by blnewt
Might want to do a search on "tramlining" sounds like it may be what you're experiencing. BTW, I put 20k on Dunlop Sport Signatures (245/35/20) and thought they were a pretty good All Season tire, never had any issues w/ them.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know the term so I have been reading hundreds of threads...

Anyway, a search yielded a few useful threads which I'll attach in case anyone else is having similar problems.

In a nutshell, it looks like it is a byproduct of low profile sticky tires.

Here is some more info:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-steering.html

Jumpy steering : Infiniti M35, M37, M45, and M56 Forums

Problem with tram-lining (road following) - G35Driver

Thanks for the help.

David
Old 02-20-2013, 11:39 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by YellowJacket
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know the term so I have been reading hundreds of threads...

Anyway, a search yielded a few useful threads which I'll attach in case anyone else is having similar problems.

In a nutshell, it looks like it is a byproduct of low profile sticky tires.

Here is some more info:

Jumpy steering : Infiniti M35, M37, M45, and M56 Forums

Problem with tram-lining (road following) - G35Driver

Thanks for the help.

David
No problem, hopefully you'll find some help there. BTW have you had your alignment checked recently?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:49 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
No problem, hopefully you'll find some help there. BTW have you had your alignment checked recently?
Good point there, B.

Improper toe specs will cause even a good tire to follow the ruts on the road more readily than if toe was in-spec.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 AM
YellowJacket

Originally Posted by soundmike
Good point there, B.

Improper toe specs will cause even a good tire to follow the ruts on the road more readily than if toe was in-spec.

Thanks guys, I'll have that checked.

David