Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Why is there a 6th stud on the front wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:34 AM
zokissima

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why is there a 6th stud on the front wheels?

Hi guys,

So after starting some threads, and calling around, I decided to go and just try some wheels to see what would work for a winter setup. When I pulled off the front wheel off my G, I saw that there are the 5 normal studs that hold the wheel in place, and there is a 6th, shorter, stud that kind of just slots into the stock wheel.....what the hell is that? I've never seen that before, and why is it there? How the heck do you fit aftermarket wheels onto this car then? You need brand new studs and bolts, and you need to shear that 6th one off or what?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:41 AM
dkmesa350z
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
To prevent you from installing stock rear wheels on the front. Needs to be removed for most aftermarket wheel installation.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by zokissima
Hi guys,

So after starting some threads, and calling around, I decided to go and just try some wheels to see what would work for a winter setup. When I pulled off the front wheel off my G, I saw that there are the 5 normal studs that hold the wheel in place, and there is a 6th, shorter, stud that kind of just slots into the stock wheel.....what the hell is that? I've never seen that before, and why is it there? How the heck do you fit aftermarket wheels onto this car then? You need brand new studs and bolts, and you need to shear that 6th one off or what?

That bolt, can be taken off. It serves a pupose though. If you remove that little bolt, then remove the spacer off the bolt, then run the bolt back into the rotor, it will help "pop" it off. Sometimes rotors get kind of stuck on and this bolt helps with removal. You dont "have" to have it there. Most rotors just have the threaded hole instead. Yesterday when I did my rotors I was glad it was in as it kept the threaded hole from rusting and making it unuseable. The choice is yours but I put mine back into place.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:08 PM
zokissima

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, thanks guys. Yep, I know that the rotors can get stuck. I used to have to drill holes in my previous car to get them off.

Since I was at a shop that wasn't mine, and had only a few minutes to try a rim, i couldn't get a closer look, but how do you take that bolt off?

Mostly I was looking to get it off in order to be able to fit smaller wheels for winter. Maybe I can use silicone sealant to seal the hole after it's taken out.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Atlbrav1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wondered the same as you when i went to try different wheels. "Whats this odd extra nut for?". Both the above answers make sense. Not sure if the size varies by year or not. I have a 2008 and it was a 12mm socket that did the trick for me to get that little bolt off... Good luck with your winter wheel choice.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:41 PM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zokissima
Since I was at a shop that wasn't mine, and had only a few minutes to try a rim, i couldn't get a closer look, but how do you take that bolt off?
umm, with a socket wrench? You aren't even likely to need an impact. It's not that hard.