Notices
Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car resting on wheels without brake rotors?

Old 04-02-2012, 03:42 PM
  #1  
TeeItHi
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 329
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car resting on wheels without brake rotors?

I'm pretty sure this is safe but I just wanna run it by just incase. I'm planning on getting my brake rotors machined and it take over 2 days cuz of my schedule... So I don't wanna leave my car outdoor on jack stands (outside my house) while the rotors are being machined. I'm thinking of putting the wheels back on without the rotors. Atleast this way the calipers are not exposed. I can put washer to make it as a filler so that the lug nuts/studs tighten properly.
TeeItHi is offline  
Old 04-02-2012, 04:34 PM
  #2  
TVPostSound
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
 
TVPostSound's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Posts: 3,612
Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by TeeItHi View Post
I'm pretty sure this is safe but I just wanna run it by just incase. I'm planning on getting my brake rotors machined and it take over 2 days cuz of my schedule... So I don't wanna leave my car outdoor on jack stands (outside my house) while the rotors are being machined. I'm thinking of putting the wheels back on without the rotors. Atleast this way the calipers are not exposed. I can put washer to make it as a filler so that the lug nuts/studs tighten properly.
Not a bad idea!!






.
TVPostSound is offline  
Old 04-02-2012, 04:41 PM
  #3  
Tazicon
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Tazicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vegas Baby!
Posts: 1,956
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't do this.
Tazicon is offline  
Old 04-02-2012, 05:09 PM
  #4  
Rad_Slinger
Registered User
iTrader: (12)
 
Rad_Slinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 2,983
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts
i would say it's ok, but you might wanna put something under your jacking points (like some 2x4s or equivalent) just to be on the safe side and just in case something happens.
Rad_Slinger is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 07:35 AM
  #5  
toyzforme
Registered User
 
toyzforme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 139
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL don't let it roll around but you should be fine for just a couple of days
toyzforme is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 08:41 AM
  #6  
TeeItHi
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 329
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hahaha

Originally Posted by toyzforme View Post
LOL don't let it roll around but you should be fine for just a couple of days
oh i made it roll around and even pump the brakes few times.
TeeItHi is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 09:57 PM
  #7  
TeeItHi
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 329
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front rotors wouldn't come out

so i finally got a chance to remove my front rotors today and the darn thing wouldn't come out. am i missing something here? is there and bolts or pins holding it from the back? i'm pretty sure there's none, must be stuck on pretty good cuz i tried tapping it with hammer to get it loose but with you luck. maybe i'll have to hammer harder

Last edited by TeeItHi; 04-04-2012 at 10:53 PM.
TeeItHi is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 04:05 PM
  #8  
VTCMart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: DFW TX
Posts: 44
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't done rotors on my car yet so I'm not sure, but there may be a threaded hole for a bolt on the hat of the rotor to help "pop" the rotor off.

Also be sure to chock the wheels if you put the wheels back on without rotors, your E-Brake will probably be disabled.
VTCMart is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 04:11 PM
  #9  
BlueOnyxG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kitchener, ON. Canada
Posts: 73
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would also make sure to hide or keep all sets of keys with you, just in case someone decides to jump in and go for a ride without knowing there is no brakes. Just a thought if you have a wife or any other drivers in the household. Better safe than sorry.
BlueOnyxG is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 06:44 PM
  #10  
Philip8969
Registered User
 
Philip8969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 119
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes rotors get pretty stuck on there with rust and stuff. I have had some that I literally have had to beat the hell out of before they finally come off.
Philip8969 is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:53 PM
  #11  
TeeItHi
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 329
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
left it overnight with wd40

so i sprayed lots of wd40 overnight and it came loose today. the dude the machined said it was warp. so hopefully my brake fade will go away.
TeeItHi is offline  
Old 06-15-2019, 04:08 PM
  #12  
Heather Eaglen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TeeItHi View Post
so i finally got a chance to remove my front rotors today and the darn thing wouldn't come out. am i missing something here? is there and bolts or pins holding it from the back? i'm pretty sure there's none, must be stuck on pretty good cuz i tried tapping it with hammer to get it loose but with you luck. maybe i'll have to hammer harder
There should be 4 bolts altogether, the 2 holding the brake pads/ caliper on, then there are two more holding the bracket that holds the rotor on. I hope this helps
Heather Eaglen is offline  
Old 06-15-2019, 11:57 PM
  #13  
blnewt
Administr8r&DIY cheapsk8
iTrader: (12)
 
blnewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 24,893
Received 4,833 Likes on 4,118 Posts
Originally Posted by Heather Eaglen View Post
There should be 4 bolts altogether, the 2 holding the brake pads/ caliper on, then there are two more holding the bracket that holds the rotor on. I hope this helps
Welcome to the site Heather, after 7 years I assume they figured something out. For old threads it's best to send a PM to the poster you're replying to.
blnewt is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
G's
Brakes & Suspension
25
05-29-2019 11:57 PM
b2autodesigns
Brakes/Suspension
128
03-24-2018 07:44 PM
james6980
Private Classifieds
32
10-09-2015 01:28 PM
zero260
Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
6
08-12-2015 10:02 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car resting on wheels without brake rotors?


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.