MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires (https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-suspension-wheels-and-tires-305/)
-   -   Car resting on wheels without brake rotors? (https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-suspension-wheels-and-tires/233964-car-resting-on-wheels-without-brake-rotors.html)

TeeItHi 04-02-2012 03:42 PM

Car resting on wheels without brake rotors?

I'm pretty sure this is safe but I just wanna run it by just incase. I'm planning on getting my brake rotors machined and it take over 2 days cuz of my schedule... So I don't wanna leave my car outdoor on jack stands (outside my house) while the rotors are being machined. I'm thinking of putting the wheels back on without the rotors. Atleast this way the calipers are not exposed. I can put washer to make it as a filler so that the lug nuts/studs tighten properly.

TVPostSound 04-02-2012 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by TeeItHi (Post 3409530)
I'm pretty sure this is safe but I just wanna run it by just incase. I'm planning on getting my brake rotors machined and it take over 2 days cuz of my schedule... So I don't wanna leave my car outdoor on jack stands (outside my house) while the rotors are being machined. I'm thinking of putting the wheels back on without the rotors. Atleast this way the calipers are not exposed. I can put washer to make it as a filler so that the lug nuts/studs tighten properly.

Not a bad idea!!

Tazicon 04-02-2012 04:41 PM

I don't see why you couldn't do this.

Rad_Slinger 04-02-2012 05:09 PM

i would say it's ok, but you might wanna put something under your jacking points (like some 2x4s or equivalent) just to be on the safe side and just in case something happens.

toyzforme 04-04-2012 07:35 AM

LOL don't let it roll around but you should be fine for just a couple of days

TeeItHi 04-04-2012 08:41 AM

hahaha

Originally Posted by toyzforme (Post 3411333)
LOL don't let it roll around but you should be fine for just a couple of days

oh i made it roll around and even pump the brakes few times. :banghead:

TeeItHi 04-04-2012 09:57 PM

front rotors wouldn't come out

so i finally got a chance to remove my front rotors today and the darn thing wouldn't come out. am i missing something here? is there and bolts or pins holding it from the back? i'm pretty sure there's none, must be stuck on pretty good cuz i tried tapping it with hammer to get it loose but with you luck. maybe i'll have to hammer harder :banghead:

VTCMart 04-05-2012 04:05 PM

I haven't done rotors on my car yet so I'm not sure, but there may be a threaded hole for a bolt on the hat of the rotor to help "pop" the rotor off.

Also be sure to chock the wheels if you put the wheels back on without rotors, your E-Brake will probably be disabled.

BlueOnyxG 04-05-2012 04:11 PM

I would also make sure to hide or keep all sets of keys with you, just in case someone decides to jump in and go for a ride without knowing there is no brakes. Just a thought if you have a wife or any other drivers in the household. Better safe than sorry.

Philip8969 04-05-2012 06:44 PM

Sometimes rotors get pretty stuck on there with rust and stuff. I have had some that I literally have had to beat the hell out of before they finally come off.

TeeItHi 04-05-2012 08:53 PM

left it overnight with wd40

so i sprayed lots of wd40 overnight and it came loose today. the dude the machined said it was warp. so hopefully my brake fade will go away.

Heather Eaglen 06-15-2019 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by TeeItHi (Post 3412315)
so i finally got a chance to remove my front rotors today and the darn thing wouldn't come out. am i missing something here? is there and bolts or pins holding it from the back? i'm pretty sure there's none, must be stuck on pretty good cuz i tried tapping it with hammer to get it loose but with you luck. maybe i'll have to hammer harder :banghead:

There should be 4 bolts altogether, the 2 holding the brake pads/ caliper on, then there are two more holding the bracket that holds the rotor on. I hope this helps

blnewt 06-15-2019 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Heather Eaglen (Post 4245702)
There should be 4 bolts altogether, the 2 holding the brake pads/ caliper on, then there are two more holding the bracket that holds the rotor on. I hope this helps

Welcome to the site Heather, after 7 years I assume they figured something out. For old threads it's best to send a PM to the poster you're replying to.