Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

IS scenario this possible? Over torque causing warpage, lugnut and stud damage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:59 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
IS scenario this possible? Over torque causing warpage, lugnut and stud damage?

This is a re-post from the Sedan area, but I need some advice quickly, so I am double posting, my apologies to the admins - let it ride for a day or two, please.
----
I took my car in to a new dealer today (yesterday actually, they called me this morning) for brake judder - I have had the front rotors machined twice. The service manager calls back and tells me that it's from the rear rotors, not the front rotors, and that the problem is that my wheel lugnuts (installed at a reputable aftermarket dealer) were all torqued to 150 lbs, and that factory specs call for 80-90 lbs of toque. He said that the That this over-torquing caused the rear rotors to warp and that the lug nuts were warped (is that even possible?) and that he thinks the studs have pulled away from the hub some over time.

So, he says he needs to replace the lug nets for sure. AND, if he just machines the rear rotors on 'goodwill' and torques everything back to 80lbs, that the studs will be loose n the hubs, and the wheels will no longer be tight a proper tight fit on the car, and it will be dangerous and all sorts of bad things could happen.

This scenario is plausible. They want 300 for parts, 530 for labor. What does the board say? I need to call them back later today.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
AFAIK, the studs press in from the back side of the hub, so technically the tighter you make the lug nuts the more the studs would "press" themselves into the hub, not the other way around (although I suppose they could crush the hub but considering its like 1/4" thick steel, it would be pretty hard to crush) I honestly think you would kill the landing spots for the lugs against your wheel before you did any damage to the hub.

Could it cause rotor warpage? Yes, its possible. I would think its more possible if each lug nut was torqued differently, rather than all of them just being too tight, but Id call that situation plausible at least.

If its just brake judder thats the issue, Id tell them thanks but no thanks and try getting it to another dealer, or even just a trusted mom and pop shop.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:56 AM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lug nuts being warped? stripped maybe, not warped. if your lugs were over torqued to that extent, I think the studs would snap. since the studs are inserted from behind the hub, how would it even pull AWAY from the hub especially when the dealer said the lug nuts were over tightened.

dont ever take what dealer says to truth, they are in the business to make money
Old 03-10-2011, 11:09 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Yeah I just talked to parts guy at local Nissan and he said that the Infinit place was awful and ripoff artists and he agreed with opinions on the board. So it's a no go and a bummer because now I'm going to have to drive 2 or 3 hours to get to a good dealer.

And btw, the Nissan place can do the same job for 250. Lol. Parts go said run away as fast as possible from that place.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Have you tried asking around here about the brake judder?

What year car? Does it happen only when hitting the brakes or do you have some sort of constant vibration?

Help here is mostly free
Old 03-10-2011, 02:23 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

ha ha - right, which is why I love this place. Yes, I've had my front rotors resurfaced twice due to brake judder as per the TSB. This place said it was the rear rotors causing the issue this time, and it was due to the aforementioned problem, and that they would resurface the rears 'goodwill' but that they recommended replacing all of the parts mentioned (lugnuts and studs) because they thought they were warped (lugnuts) and possibly stretched or damaged or had crushed in the hub some so that torquing back to 80lbs would make the wheels possibly dangerously 'loose'.

Nissan place said BS to that, and so did the board members. Nissan place also said part and labor was in reality about 1/3rd what the infiniti dealer wanted to charge.

To me, the judder feels like the fronts all over again, and I should know, I have correctly diagnosed it twice before. So I think it is a ripoff all the way around.

As soon as I get out of there, I if I find that it was all BS after Nissan inspection, then I will call Infiniti national and file a complaint and do the same with BBS. Because I am sure I will get charged some sort of trumped up labor ad diagnostic fee just to suck something out of me.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
It's very possible to stretch the stud by applying too much torque. That can also happen on track cars that see a force change when going into corners. Not uncommon for avid racers, both weekend and professionals, to replace their studs after so many events. Put enough force on them and they will get longer. After all, they are just made of metal.