Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Alignment/steering/wheel question g37 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 04:41 PM
adrian312

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment/steering/wheel question g37 coupe

I just bought a 09 g37x AWD coupe and had some questions on the steering in general.

I noticed that the car shifts towards one side or the other quite often, for example when i m braking, i have to hold the steering wheel firm or else it will go to the right or go to the left sometimes (usually on worse roads)

I am not used to having to control the wheel so much to make it go straight, is this a problem with the car, or just how it is when your driving 18" wheels.

I did get it checked by the dealer, and the alignment was slightly off on the rear, but tires pressure was fine, when they adjusted that it still feels like the same way.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:41 PM
Triple_X

definitely not normal... did they do an alignment for you ? If alignment is off a bit it could be the cause. Get an alignment if you haven't already...
Old 07-31-2009, 05:49 PM
adrian312

yes i did get an alignment already, and it didn't really fix that (although it was pulling to the right mostly and that part seemed okay)...
Old 02-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Gunit37

Originally Posted by adrian312
I just bought a 09 g37x AWD coupe and had some questions on the steering in general.

I noticed that the car shifts towards one side or the other quite often, for example when i m braking, i have to hold the steering wheel firm or else it will go to the right or go to the left sometimes (usually on worse roads)

I am not used to having to control the wheel so much to make it go straight, is this a problem with the car, or just how it is when your driving 18" wheels.

I did get it checked by the dealer, and the alignment was slightly off on the rear, but tires pressure was fine, when they adjusted that it still feels like the same way.

My car does that too...OP Did you ever get it fixed? Anyone knows the ultimate fix for this probelm
Old 02-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Infiniti93
Banned

MOST DEFIANTLY the alignment. That happened to me on my 2009 Camry LE and it drove me insane. I took it to get the alignment done twice and they didn't align it right both times. So the third time i took it and went off on them and they did it right lol. So make sure you take it back
Old 02-12-2010, 09:54 PM
dsnke1

Im having the same problem. I noticed this first on monday on the highway for a few seconds and then again just tonight driving at a slower speed. The steering wheel just tightens up and the car doesnt want to turn either way. Lasted for about 5 seconds both times
Old 02-13-2010, 10:49 PM
fmrlegend
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine does the same thing once in a while. Don't know if one side brakes harder than the other at times. Hmmmm?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:52 AM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Brake pull can also be caused by bad bushings or loose nuts/bolts in the suspension. The alignment shop or dealer should also be checking for those possibilities.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:51 AM
Frankyg37s

im also experiencing the same promblem as op described in my new to me 08 g37s6mt coupe with 27k is this a known problem???

sorry for gravediggin
Old 06-26-2010, 03:52 AM
flm09

I picked up my 2010 G37S a couple of weeks ago.

Drove off the lot and the brake feel wasn't solid like on my test car G37X. I though nothing of it maybe new.

When I get back closer to my home when I brake on not smooth flat roads my wheel would either crank left or right. I said that's weird! Also on some roads hard to control car as it seems to want to follow road (Tramlining).

Call the dealer and get the answer its the bad roads and low profile tires and sports suspension. Now there is some truth to all this but why can't there be a remedy for this. Dealer did say the front toe was off when I brought the car in so they adjusted it and now it seems better but I have to go back again and now my steering is off center leaning towards the right!

My friend told me to test drive a BMW 335i coupe to see if they have same problems!

I hope an expert here can give us the low down. I'm guessing its the alignment and tire design from my research.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:40 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If it's happening all the time, yes it's your car - probably alignment or toe.

If it only happens once in a while it's a good chance the road is crappy. If you look at roads that are poorly taken care of or HIGHLY traveled, you will see big ruts in them. When you are not right in those ruts and driving/braking it can drag your car left/right into them.

So don't freak out right away, but if it's happening all the time definitely take it in to get the alignment/toe/etc checked out
Old 06-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Frankyg37s

bad roads and low profile tires and sport suspension maybe but on NEAR perfect roads its NOT normal i drove my g35 6mt fo 30k on the same roads with no problems.

but then again my steering wheel is off a bit towards the window so thats most likely my problem getting an alignment monday morning hopefully it will solve that issue wish me luck
Old 06-29-2010, 11:39 PM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by adrian312

Could be an alignment issue, but i would bet dollar to donuts its a combination of your lack of time with low profile wheels and the tire themselves. Lots of tires and I think the OEM BS did too, tend to "track' and are especially susceptible to road ruts. If it feels like the steering wheel snaps either way then I would venture to say it's the wheels. Of course this is with the surety that there is no damage with any of the front suspension or steering rack (worn steering rack bushings can have this behavior).
Old 06-30-2010, 01:12 AM
flm09

Originally Posted by dillyyo
Could be an alignment issue, but i would bet dollar to donuts its a combination of your lack of time with low profile wheels and the tire themselves. Lots of tires and I think the OEM BS did too, tend to "track' and are especially susceptible to road ruts. If it feels like the steering wheel snaps either way then I would venture to say it's the wheels. Of course this is with the surety that there is no damage with any of the front suspension or steering rack (worn steering rack bushings can have this behavior).
I think you are right! Btw have you changed out your oem tires.

I am thinking of Hankook summers. I heard they don't tramline as much.

What do you think?
Old 06-30-2010, 12:39 PM
aliang01

Here's my 2 cents on it. Dealership also told me the same. Most roads are crowned so it won't flood during heavy rain so steering would pull left, right when braking. Mine does that. But recently, my steering's been out of whack and I have to work harder to stop the car with the steering. Alignment on the highway is perfectly fine though. Probably nothing huge, but it is a bit annoying.

Quick Reply: Alignment/steering/wheel question g37 coupe