Swift spring info/help for RWD Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 11:12 AM
bellv83
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Swift spring info/help for RWD Sedan

I was able to get my hands on a 12 6mt sedan. It has airlift on it that I will be removing and selling and putting back the stock suspension + AM sway bars. So my thought process is since I'll have the shocks out and about to go back in, it makes sense to explore springs now. Im not sure I will mind the stock ride height but in case I decide to do springs I want the most mild drop and un harsh stock like ride possible. Seems to be swift?
Questions:
From pics it seems the rear looks saggy in RWD but not AWD. Is that me? If so is it possible to use AWD springs or bad idea?
As for the shocks, will swifts on stock shocks ride nice or like crap and be a waste of time, just do koni yellows? ( i dont want coilovers)

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 01-08-2020, 11:28 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,605 Likes on 3,449 Posts
The OEM shocks in the RWD Sedan Sport Package are made by Tokico and not the same as the non-sport. It's really the only suspension "upgrade" that you get with the Journey Sport Sedan and 6MT. They're fine, stiffer than the non-sport, and I suspect on par with most aftermarket shocks.

Aftermarket springs for the RWD Sedan will probably take the already droopy looking rear and accentuate that effect. Not make it worse, per se, just make you more aware of it by closing the gap. The design of the rear fender is such that you have a smaller floor-to-fender measurement in the rear than you do in the front. The only best solution for equidistant floor-to-fender measurements front & rear is a set of coil-overs, and to introduce a very slight rake to the car's stance.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:46 AM
bellv83
Registered Member

So it's just an allusion created by the fenders, not an unbalanced stance from springs? Something to think about there, thanks. Can you comment on ride quality with them? Assuming the stockers at Tokico's I would guess that they will be fine, likely better than the non S struts and AM springs.
So, Im not sure I will have a problem with the stock height but I think the sagging look in the rear would bother me more. I dont want adjustable so may just leave it alone. At least for a while.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:26 PM
bellv83
Registered Member

Actually saw an AWDS sedan and im fine with the stock ride height so Im thinking to just do bars to preserve ride quality. Can anyone talk me out of that?
Old 01-13-2020, 01:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,605 Likes on 3,449 Posts
Originally Posted by bellv83
Actually saw an AWDS sedan and im fine with the stock ride height so Im thinking to just do bars to preserve ride quality. Can anyone talk me out of that?
Have someone talk you out of swaybars? That seems really unlikely.

But talk you out of not lowering the car? Honestly, it's one of those things that you don't see and don't care, until suddenly there it is. There's no right or wrong. Deal with it if it ever becomes something you want to deal with. Personally, larger & wider wheels and subsequently silly looking poke, are the things that made me care.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:40 PM
bellv83
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Have someone talk you out of swaybars? That seems really unlikely.

But talk you out of not lowering the car? Honestly, it's one of those things that you don't see and don't care, until suddenly there it is. There's no right or wrong. Deal with it if it ever becomes something you want to deal with. Personally, larger & wider wheels and subsequently silly looking poke, are the things that made me care.
No sway bars are happening. I was meaning that if someone can say the swifts will not impact the ride quality, I hear a lot of people saying they do, they dont and so on. I dont plan on changing the wheels so like I said, the ride height is fine with me