Tein Basis vs. Swift vs. Swift with Koni shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 12:21 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Tein Basis vs. Swift vs. Swift with Koni shocks?

I recently acquired a '13 G37S sedan 6spd with about 18k miles. My goal is to daily drive it mainly with occasional track days. I would like the smoothest ride with lowered height and more responsive handling. I am ok with giving up a few tenths on my lap times for a smoother ride.

I just got done reading every post on this site I could find on Swift springs with the stock G37S sedan shocks, Swift springs with Koni shocks, and the Tein Basis coilovers. That was a lot of reading! Anyway, it seems like most people like all three setups and I am surprised most people say all three setups ride similar to, or better than stock.

Swift springs are the cheapest option, but I see some people say they ride a bit rough at low speeds and drop the ride height unevenly front to rear. Most are saying they ride even better with Koni inserts which makes sense because the stock shock travel would be compromised with these springs. I also like the fact that the dampening can be adjusted on the Konis.

Tein Basis seem like a good option since the shocks and springs are designed to work together and the ride height is adjustable. I noticed they also have a slightly lower spring rate than the Swift springs.

Has anyone driven or ridden in G37S sedans with at least two of these different setups to be able to compare? Any input is appreciated.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:43 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Might send a PM to Hold My Mouse, not on Swifts but he did have Eibachs on OEMs and then went w/ Teins. Since you are planning a fair amount of track time I would consider swaybar upgrades w whatever setup you end up with
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...basis-imo.html
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 11:15 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Don't worry, sway bars and bushings are definitely in the plan in the future
Old 09-22-2015, 03:53 AM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
hey 4DRZ congratz on your super clean 6mt

It's hard to find THE perfect suspension while on a budget. I had Eibach on OEM shocks and it was quite nice. The OEM dampers kept the plush ride while Eibach provided (IMO) the perfect drop. It had very stockish characteristics. Then I was searching to "upgrade" to a better set of suspension for the streets. I thought about Koni but I didn't really need the damper adjustments and price was in coilover territory and so I looked into coilover systems. I ended up with Tein Basis due to its lack of features. I didn't need any bells and whistles and it was easy on my wallet. I would say they are good for the streets and canyon runs but if you do track days quite often then you should look into Koni for its damper adjustments. But coilover systems will allow you to do corner balancing So pick which is more important to you.
4DRZ (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 11:38 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Thanks! The G was not an easy one to find with the 6spd.

I had Koni yellows on another car before and liked them, but you are right about being able to corner balance with coilovers. I was just shocked to hear so many people say that the Basis ride very similar to stock. I have had many coilover kits over the years, even Tein, and they all rode awful on the street. I was originally leaning toward just swift springs, but it looks like they do not drop quite evenly.

I do not think I am going to do as many track days with this car as I have in the past with other cars. Right now I am leaning toward the Tein Basis. Sounds like you think they ride well on the street too? Do the Tein Basis come with height suggestions?
Old 09-22-2015, 11:54 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Do the Tein Basis come with height suggestions?
On their spec link the area shaded in green is the window for max performance/longevity~
TEIN USA | COILOVER KIT & SPRING KIT SEARCH ?INFINITI?G37 COUPE?2008+?STREET BASIS
This says "coupe" listing, but it's the same part # for sedans.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:04 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Thanks! Just out of curiosity, is there anything you don't know blnewt?
Old 09-23-2015, 01:54 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Thanks! Just out of curiosity, is there anything you don't know blnewt?
What did my wife just say
Old 09-23-2015, 05:06 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Well that's a given
Old 09-23-2015, 06:03 PM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Do the Tein Basis come with height suggestions?
Yes it does. The recommended height is 1.6" when measuring the coilover threads I believe. There are instructions as to how to measure the actual coilovers in the installation guide. This in turn translates to about 26 1/4" - 26 1/2" in the front and 27" in the rear when measuring from the ground to the fender. After it settles, it is about 26 1/4" - 26 3/8" in the front and 26 3/4" in the rear.

I would highly recommend coilovers over springs due to the adjustment capability. If you lower with springs, you are stuck with whatever type of drop you get. If you're lucky, you may be happy with your setup but if you're not, there's not much you can do. But with coilovers, you have the option to set it at the height you'd like.

I purchased my G with Tein S-techs already installed and although I liked the handling of the G and the way it felt, it was just too low for daily driving. I was scared at every turn and scraping was practically impossible to avoid. As a result, I wanted to get coilovers so I can set it at the height I wanted. Like HoldmyMouse, all I wanted was to be able to do height adjustment because all the other options would just give me a headache. lol Therefore, the Tein Basis was a perfect match for my application.

I just finished installing, adjusting, and aligning my G so if you were interested, here is my thread. Hope it helps...good luck!
4DRZ (09-24-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 09:40 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by sLADe781
Yes it does. The recommended height is 1.6" when measuring the coilover threads I believe. There are instructions as to how to measure the actual coilovers in the installation guide. This in turn translates to about 26 1/4" - 26 1/2" in the front and 27" in the rear when measuring from the ground to the fender. After it settles, it is about 26 1/4" - 26 3/8" in the front and 26 3/4" in the rear.

I would highly recommend coilovers over springs due to the adjustment capability. If you lower with springs, you are stuck with whatever type of drop you get. If you're lucky, you may be happy with your setup but if you're not, there's not much you can do. But with coilovers, you have the option to set it at the height you'd like.

I purchased my G with Tein S-techs already installed and although I liked the handling of the G and the way it felt, it was just too low for daily driving. I was scared at every turn and scraping was practically impossible to avoid. As a result, I wanted to get coilovers so I can set it at the height I wanted. Like HoldmyMouse, all I wanted was to be able to do height adjustment because all the other options would just give me a headache. lol Therefore, the Tein Basis was a perfect match for my application.

I just finished installing, adjusting, and aligning my G so if you were interested, here is my thread. Hope it helps...good luck!
Your G is ready to show off, so here~

Name:  20150923_134118.jpg
Views: 5936
Size:  131.2 KB
sLADe781 (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 09:28 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sLADe781

Awesome! Thanks for the info. and measurements
Old 09-24-2015, 12:07 PM
CRV_33
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Any thoughts on going with coilovers? My brother had the KW variant 3 and I was impressed with how smooth the car drove.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:54 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by CRV_33
Any thoughts on going with coilovers? My brother had the KW variant 3 and I was impressed with how smooth the car drove.
Yes, I am leaning toward the Tein Basis coilovers right now.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:36 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

For those of you running Tein Basis coilovers, what alignment settings are you using?

Quick Reply: Tein Basis vs. Swift vs. Swift with Koni shocks?