Help Time for New Rotors and Pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 01:39 AM
11BlueSlateS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for New Rotors and Pads

Yes I know another brake question, bare with me. I have an ‘11 Coupe with Sport Package, 40k miles for about 8 years old is pretty good so couldn’t help myself. Anyways the fronts are starting to squeak and I can feel a diminish in braking power. The rust on all 4 corners is killing me so I have decided to swap all the rotors and pads. I’ve done some reading and it seems like there’s a lot of mixed opinions on brands and types of rotors. Here’s what I’m looking for:

Rotors

-Good performance
-Aesthetics without giving up on some kind of quality
Now I have read that certain types of rotors tend to have a higher risk of cracking. Now I’ve read some people saying slotted and others saying drilled&slotted and vice versa so I wanted to get a few opinions as to which are the most reliable while being aesthetically pleasing.

Pads
I know that you’re forced to pick 2 out of the 3 categories so I’m looking for
-Bite
-Low Sound
Dont mind the dust as long as I stop fast enough
On a final thought, I have noticed that powerstop isn’t reliable at all based on reviews while stoptech is mentioned fairly often. This is my first post so please bare with my post format but let me hear some opinions

Last edited by 11BlueSlateS; 09-26-2019 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Grammar mistake
Old 09-26-2019, 11:27 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
looks like you have most of the background....IIRC powerstop and stoptech are both made by centric now, for rotors power stop is the bottom of the barrel brand and stop tech is at the top end from them...usually powerstop won't have any kind of coating but may come drilled ..these are the type of drilled rotors that will probably crack if they are drilled and are abused...the stoptechs probably won't but may really depend on use

for aesthetics get something referred to as being "ecoated" (i believe this is brake marketing speak for powder coating) to keep the mfrom rusting..you could by jsut painted ones or paint them yourself but paint may not last as long on these without some maintence

pads that bite hard and low noise is the harder combo to get but defeinitly attainable. the bottom line with more aggressive pads is to get them to be consistently quiet you have to do a good job bedding them in and applying grease in the appropriate spots...I've daily driven with race pads which were noisy when I was lazy with the brake in and driven on replacements of the same brand/model of pads for years where they were dead silent where I did proper bed ins

you need to decide how hard you really want the pads to bite. super aggressive pads may be grabby when cold and you may not like that.
a good all round pad for these cars on the aggressive end are EBC yellow and Hawk 5.0