Help Rotor and pad decisions

Old 07-16-2019, 04:12 AM
Black_Vegas
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FAULKENSTEIN
I feel pretty dumb right now honestly, I've been non-stop hunting on all the websites and Z1 has always been a favorite of mine. I saw all of the other rotors and 2 piece rotors but completely missed those somehow- thanks a ton for letting me know ab those! I already have the RBF600 brake fluid I got from Z1, otherwise I'd probably do the package. I'll be buying the premium brake line kit from Z1 also. Would you say getting the Z1 slotted BPI rotors was a good decision over the blanks? I'm just a little hesitant about the slots eating through pads, but improved wet braking is a big plus for me. If I don't go with the slotted Z1 kit or the stoptech cryo treated slotted rotors I'll be doing the centric premium cryo treated blanks.
I have no regrets getting the Z1 slotted. It keeps the pad fresh every time, no build up of debris, and gas and heat dissipation is above average. Pad usage also depends on how heavy you are on the brake pedal. Are you a ride the brakes person or are you a last second full brake power person?
The following users liked this post:
goldbug (07-17-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 01:00 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,250 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Hell, around here you can't help but to slam on your brakes at practically every intersection what with all the red light runners, texting psycho soccer moms, slow poke seniors, clueless college clucks, and tipsy tourists.

I am sure whatever setup you go with will yield vastly improved braking. No regrets with my DBA/Hawk setup at all.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 07-16-2019 at 03:53 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ILM-NC G37S:
Black_Vegas (07-16-2019), blnewt (07-16-2019), goldbug (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 08:18 PM
goldbug
Premier Member

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_Vegas
I have no regrets getting the Z1 slotted. It keeps the pad fresh every time, no build up of debris, and gas and heat dissipation is above average. Pad usage also depends on how heavy you are on the brake pedal. Are you a ride the brakes person or are you a last second full brake power person?
My Fiancee tells me I drive my car like an old person most of the time haha, and I've never been one to slam on the brakes, so I definitely don't abuse them. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Z1's bc of the price now after hearing from a few of you running that setup, and since I don't track my car at all yet I can't justify paying $350 more just for rotors right now. Nice to hear the Z1 slotted rotors have been holding up good for you though. I just wanted to know that they're quality for the price, and it def sounds like it. I didn't find too many users talking about them on this forum and even the370z, forgot to check g35driver though.
Black_Vegas (07-19-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 12:37 PM
goldbug
Premier Member

Update for anyone curious about what route I decided on - I ordered the Z1 1 piece brake kit this morning, and chose the slotted only option, with HAWK performance ceramic pads, the standard SS lines they offer, and 2 extra bottles of Motul RBF600 so I have 4 for the install now. It was $670 before shipping so it's definitely a steal for a package. I'll make another post in the reviews section once I get everything in the mail and find time to install it this month. Really excited to see the difference, and I'll be sure to try and give some good feedback on the hawk's and z1 rotors since I didn't find too much info myself looking between all of the g35/37 and 350z/370z forums. Doesn't help anyone if I talk about all of this and never return the favor!

Last edited by goldbug; 08-01-2019 at 12:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by goldbug:
ILM-NC G37S (08-01-2019), slartibartfast (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 05:03 PM
Black_Vegas
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FAULKENSTEIN
Update for anyone curious about what route I decided on - I ordered the Z1 1 piece brake kit this morning, and chose the slotted only option, with HAWK performance ceramic pads, the standard SS lines they offer, and 2 extra bottles of Motul RBF600 so I have 4 for the install now. It was $670 before shipping so it's definitely a steal for a package. I'll make another post in the reviews section once I get everything in the mail and find time to install it this month. Really excited to see the difference, and I'll be sure to try and give some good feedback on the hawk's and z1 rotors since I didn't find too much info myself looking between all of the g35/37 and 350z/370z forums. Doesn't help anyone if I talk about all of this and never return the favor!
Congrats on the purchase. I thought about the hawk pads as well but decided not to. Just a heads up make sure your SS brake lines have plenty of space for movement. Also make sure they do not rub against the strut while you turn the steering knuckle.
goldbug (08-04-2019)
Old 01-11-2020, 06:33 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
I have the DBA T3 ClubSpec 4000 Drilled/Slotted rotors (I wanted the "bling") paired with a set of Hawk HPS 5.0 pads and am very pleased with the setup. I have good initial bite, very little dusting, and have not had any issues at all.

I, too, have a tendency to get spirited from time to time. However it is important to note that my car rarely gets driven (1-2x/mo. at most). I installed this set 4/30/2017 and they barely have 4500 miles on them. So I can not speak as to how well this setup would hold up with daily use. I do know that they have saved my *** a few times with these idiotic drivers (tourists included) and their backwards driving habits.

Attaching 2 pics. Keep in mind the car hasn't been driven since mid-June so please excuse the surface rust. And, yes, I painted the hats red:

SSSSSSHHHHHHHHH!!!
Don't Tell Rochester!!!

ngolbuff (01-11-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 12:11 AM
Mboxer511
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
How have the new rotor and brake pad set been treating you? I've been looking at that Z1 package myself as a cheaper alternative to the Z1 Akebono 2 piece rotor package which cost around $1k right now. Not sure if it worth spending double on those rotors instead?
Old 08-31-2020, 12:55 AM
goldbug
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Mboxer511
How have the new rotor and brake pad set been treating you? I've been looking at that Z1 package myself as a cheaper alternative to the Z1 Akebono 2 piece rotor package which cost around $1k right now. Not sure if it worth spending double on those rotors instead?
I’ve got a few thousand miles of seat time with the setup now and couldn’t be happier. I really like the Hawk Ceramic pads for spirited street use despite some other feedback and reviews I read that scared me at first. There is some slight squeal when it’s cold out and the brakes aren’t warmed up yet, especially in reverse, but in no way a deterrent for the performance trade offs. The feel and stopping power is immensely improved- it’s actually taken my breath away from me a couple of times when I had to slam on the brakes in emergency situations. Much more linear feeling and thanks to the improved feedback its much easier to modulate and give it just the right input. The rotors still look great too and have been fantastic in the rain. I wish I did some stopping distance comparisons before making the switch, the change is very noticeable, at least to me. I agree the price jump for the 2 piece is up there- I plan on eventually upgrading all 4 corners on my car to the Z1 2 piece kit also, but feel no real need to do it sooner after upgrading to their 1 pc slotted rotors, standard SS lines and motul rbf600 fluid with some nice pads.Definitely does the trick in the mean time and saves some $$ for other things to get done first unless you absolutely want to save weight up front for a lower rotational mass. Oh and no vibrations at all, but you can slightly feel the slots when you brake, depending on how hard you’re braking. Haven’t taken these to a track event either yet but I’ve heard they hold up pretty well around the track from the370z forum members.