Question about lower Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 01:05 PM
G10
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Question about lower Control Arms

HI Guys -
I am looking for some help, I was hearing a thumping from my right side of the car while driving. My mechanic told me that my right lower control arm is bad and needs to be replaced.
He told me it wasn't an urgent need to replace right now but should be done. Fastward a couple of months now I am ready to replace it but had some questions

1. Is it wise to replace both left and the right lower control arm, Just like the struts? or will replacing the bad one do the job. While I am in this job I will also be replacing the struts as I am at 118 K miles.
2. The OEM Part is around 229.00 @discountinfinit Parts. Are aftermarket parts just as good such as Beck/arnley, MEVOTECH, ACDELCO, there are the brand listed on Rockauto.com if one brand is better then other please let me know.

3. What others maintenance shoud i do while I am going this job.?

As always thanks very much for your knowledge and suggestions.

G10
Old 06-22-2019, 02:19 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
If it were me I'd personally do both control arms since you're doing the struts.

I put Dorman control arms on a Grand Prix I had and put Mevotechs on a Caliber my mom had without any issues. Just make sure to look around online for reviews on other sites that sell them before you make the decision to pinch some pennies.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:21 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
My suspension constantly gets destroyed by bad roadads/potholes....on rock auto, I try to get the cheapest part with a lifetime warranty...Mevotech, MAS etc tend to be pretty good...Beck/Arnly I've gotten with limited warranties and they have all crapped out on me...as Steathee mentioned I'd do both sides too (and did, when one of my LCAs went)
Old 06-24-2019, 05:18 PM
G10
Registered Member

Originally Posted by stealthee
If it were me I'd personally do both control arms since you're doing the struts.

I put Dorman control arms on a Grand Prix I had and put Mevotechs on a Caliber my mom had without any issues. Just make sure to look around online for reviews on other sites that sell them before you make the decision to pinch some pennies.
Originally Posted by Baadnewsburr
My suspension constantly gets destroyed by bad roadads/potholes....on rock auto, I try to get the cheapest part with a lifetime warranty...Mevotech, MAS etc tend to be pretty good...Beck/Arnly I've gotten with limited warranties and they have all crapped out on me...as Steathee mentioned I'd do both sides too (and did, when one of my LCAs went)

Thanks very much, @stealthee & @Baadnewsburr , I really appreciate your suggestions.

Any suggestion on Struts for a 12 X sedan.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:09 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by G10
Thanks very much, @stealthee & @Baadnewsburr , I really appreciate your suggestions.

Any suggestion on Struts for a 12 X sedan.
for the X sedan, there are very few option, get KYB IIRC they are the OE supplier anyways, Rockauto has them, also if you can wait a bit usually there is a $40 rebate on a set of four starting August 1st which brings the cost down to dirt cheap...check the KYB website sometimes the rebate details are posted before then..I've been very happy with them on my X
Old 06-24-2019, 08:35 PM
G10
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Baadnewsburr
for the X sedan, there are very few option, get KYB IIRC they are the OE supplier anyways, Rockauto has them, also if you can wait a bit usually there is a $40 rebate on a set of four starting August 1st which brings the cost down to dirt cheap...check the KYB website sometimes the rebate details are posted before then..I've been very happy with them on my X
Once again thanks very much @Baadnewsburr I could wait for the rebate. I just check KYB's website and nothing his posted for now.
KYB.com/Save is where I checked unless you have some other post.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:28 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

thats where I found the rebates previously, obviously there no guarantee they will do it again but in 2017 and 2018 at least they had rebates starting from August 1st running to September 30th so its probably safe to assume it'll come up again, they seem to do it seasonally like tire manufacturers...last year I saw it online in the last week of July but I didn't check before then so maybe check back later
Old 07-30-2019, 10:53 AM
G10
Registered Member

@Baadnewsburr those rebates are now posted. https://www.kyb.com/save/

Thanks very much
The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 11:12 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
I ended up getting a used set from American Auto Export in Ft. Lauderdale. $65 ea from a car that had 70k miles. Once they go I will do the same thing.
Most of these aftermarket replacement use cheaper rubber or dont include the cone for the balljoint. You'll spend 1/4 of what you will in new components that IMO will wear faster than oem for sure.

Take some time and check them out, they do shipping everywhere.
The following 2 users liked this post by BULL:
G10 (07-30-2019), MStrike (08-31-2021)
Old 07-30-2019, 02:50 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Better to change both since you're there and with one being bad it adds more stress to other
The following users liked this post:
G10 (07-30-2019)
Old 08-31-2021, 03:40 PM
MStrike
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G10
HI Guys -
I am looking for some help, I was hearing a thumping from my right side of the car while driving. My mechanic told me that my right lower control arm is bad and needs to be replaced.
He told me it wasn't an urgent need to replace right now but should be done. Fastward a couple of months now I am ready to replace it but had some questions

1. Is it wise to replace both left and the right lower control arm, Just like the struts? or will replacing the bad one do the job. While I am in this job I will also be replacing the struts as I am at 118 K miles.
2. The OEM Part is around 229.00 @discountinfinit Parts. Are aftermarket parts just as good such as Beck/arnley, MEVOTECH, ACDELCO, there are the brand listed on Rockauto.com if one brand is better then other please let me know.

3. What others maintenance shoud i do while I am going this job.?

As always thanks very much for your knowledge and suggestions.

G10
Hey, what did you end up going with and how are they lasting? Thanks