Rattling Dust Shield on Front Brake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 03:19 PM
psu1978

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rattling Dust Shield on Front Brake?

The background - I hopped in Lady V yesterday morning (late for church, of course) and as I backed out of the driveway I heard a loud metallic rattle (like thin sheet metal) from the front driver's side. I pulled back into the garage and back out again, the noise getting worse. So being the sensible person I am, I left it in the garage and took my husband's Toyota to church :-).
Hubby took my car around the block, left and right turns, up and down the hump of the driveway, and couldn't duplicate the noise. Neither could I, when I came back. Fast forward to having her up on a jack far enough to see under ... and nothing appears wrong. Everything's got a little gray dirt, no bright metal, scrape marks, everything looks exactly the same as the front passenger tire. The ONLY thing I can find different is that the thin metal shield covering the inside of the rotor on the driver's side has a bit more wiggle than the passenger side, maybe an eighth of an inch.

So with all that - does anybody have an idea of how much play is too much for those dust shields? You could probably get a small rock in the shield and the rotor if you tried, but it's unlikely to happen accidentally. I ran her through the car wash on Friday and I guess the guidance rails there could have caused some distortion, but I really can't figure out what caused the noise, or why it stopped.

Any thoughts on my mystery noise? Do I need to have the dealership check it out ASAP, or is the silence golden?

Thanks!!
Old 09-03-2018, 06:47 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
You could either remove the shield, clean the mating surfaces and reinstall, or just remove it. Those shields aren't at all critical to braking performance.