SPL bushings- any experience?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 12:37 PM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
SPL bushings- any experience?

I've been wanting to get strategically chosen solid bushings for a while. I am on Tein coilovers but there is still slop, and steering feel still sucks. I feel like getting all these solid bushings would be mega overkill though. I just want a tighter feel and more steering feel. Anyone mess with any of these?

Nissan - 09+ 370Z (Z34) - SPLParts
Old 08-21-2017, 11:23 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
What's your wheel/tire package? I have zero steering slop but the IPL has a different steering rack. Any other suspension mods besides the Teins? Alignment can help too.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:31 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Which model do you have? I noticed a difference in feel between a standard Journey and Sport. Maybe bigger sway bars are a better option.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:59 AM
future62

I am going with 255/40R19s square on TE37 replicas. Wheel/tire combo should weigh the same as stock. I have a '12 S RWD sedan.

Not sure if bigger sways are needed... I'd rather go with stiffer coilovers. But I think keeping my Teins and getting some solid bushings in certain places would give more feel without sacrificing ride quality.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:40 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Ape Factory
I have zero steering slop but the IPL has a different steering rack.
The IPL and RWD S coupe and sedan all note 'sport steering ratio' and are listed as having a 14.7:1 ratio. What's different about the IPL rack?

OP, how's your power steering fluid?

I don't notice any slop in my steering
Old 08-22-2017, 09:42 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

But what tires do you have on there now? If they're a run flat or 3/4 season "performance" tire, that'll have a drastic effect on how the car turns and behaves. Good choice on wheel/tire size.

I would try installing the tire/wheel package first. Assuming you already have front upper camber arms as well as a rear camber arm? You'll need those for Tein's minimum drop to keep tire wear in check.

If you don't have camber arms, go with SPL front and rear. I have the newer style SPC's and they have rubber bushings (harder than OEM though) to keep NVH down. But again, I don't notice any slop on turn-in.

Slarti brought up roll bars and that will make a difference. The IPL roll bars are the largest ones offered (same as the Nismo bar). You could always "upgrade" to the least stiff of the aftermarket bars.

Once you get all of the above done, and you're still not happy, I'd then look at upgrading the bushings. But there's going to be a point of diminishing return divided by a large increase in noise, vibration and harshness (NVH). Just go rent a 370z to see what I mean.

Strictly speaking, the SPL stuff is exceptional. They use quality bearings and are generally considered the best of the best. You may find a few 370z guys running their solid bushings on the370z forum and could probably ask them about turn-in and NVH.

One last thing to throw out there...the Tein upper mounts aren't solid pillow ***** are they? I believe they're rubber. Really an nth degree sort of thing but something to consider.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:59 AM
future62

I am running some awful Nexen N5000 Plus tires that came with the car. OEM size, something like $80/corner. They were supposedly new when I bought the car in April, and with the drop the camber/toe wear has been swift. I'm hoping I can get away with just getting the toe in line and rotating the tires with every oil change as more positive camber is going to mess with my fitment. I know, I know. Anyway I will see what kind of camber I am running now... if it's no more negative than -2 or so I think I'm going to skip the kit. I'm only at ~26.25" all around, shouldn't be too crazy.

Steering wise there's no slop, just a complete lack of feel. Part of it might be the tires, but I come from Hondas... my Civic had pretty ****ty tires when I got it, and it still had way better steering feel. So I just want more feedback. There does appear to be some slop in the chassis and I'm wondering if the bushings would help... but I wanna know where I can get solid bushings to help feel without impacting NVH (if that is even possible).

In any case I think I do have to take it step by step.....

- mount new wheels/tires
- check alignment, see about camber kit
- get alignment done
- see if new wheels/tires help steering feel
- investigate/get bushings if necessary

Def have to exhaust all options first.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:05 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Ape makes a good point on tires.

The fast ratio S steering is one of my favorite features. I definitely thing the soft sidewalls on those Nexens are introducing slop.

If you don't already have a good shop for getting an alignment, check out Zuffenhaus (Euro Werks) in Monroe. They did a solid job on my alignment and I'd recommend them over any chain type place.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:22 AM
future62

Lego we still have to meet up! Thanks for the recommendation. I have actually had good luck with chains... the Griffin Bros near my house got my Civic right.

Do Gs have any kind of camber adjustment with stock suspension components?
Old 08-22-2017, 03:23 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I put a bunch of mods onto '94 Sentra SE-R, my only regret was adding urethane control arm bushings. They ruined the ride for a street car. I firmly believe you will have the same experience.

My G suspension mods have rubber in the rotating parts so ride is still good. There wasn't a noticeable change in ride, I did them to get the camber I wanted.

Last edited by slartibartfast; 08-23-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:49 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

I too have to believe the horrible turn-in is due to the tires. Change those puppies out to something decent like Michelin PSS or the newer PS4. You'll be a very happy camper.

Report back after you make changes!
Old 04-11-2018, 08:35 AM
future62

OK so I have been running DWS06s and I got a P/S fluid flush. Big thing now is there is a little knock that seems like it's coming from the big FLCA bushing on the left over bumps sometimes. Steering feel is still so-so; fresh P/S fluid just seemed to make it lighter.

Anyway still looking for insight on which bushings to get. I am thinking the two inner FLCA bushings and solid tie rod bushings. And maybe the solid diff bushings to button it down out back. I want to up my spring rate and move to Konis too.