Should brake service cost more for sport model g37?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 02:08 PM
SlateBlue G

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
If you dont need performance rotors and pads, go on rock auto buy centric blanks with some posi quiet pads and take it to a indy shop.

imo resurfacing rotors always gets warped quicker due to thickness.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:34 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 837 Likes on 716 Posts
Sigh. Rotors don't warp except in the most extreme conditions. Read the link Brad posted.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:05 PM
Rollo
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
I don't think most people who have replied read the OPs whole post. There is no reason getting your brake pads replaced should be 500 dollars. That is ridiculous. If you are not experiencing any issues and are going to use OEM pads I don't know why you would even need the rotors resurfaced, but if they haven't been resurfaced before they absolutely can be now.

If you are worried about parts, buy the pads from Infiniti and let a brake shop replace them for you and turn the rotors if needed.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:55 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
all "Infiniti" brake parts are nissan parts made by a 3rd party OE supplier, regardless of what the box says. the OP is clearly more comfortable working with an OEM dealer, whether it be Nissan or Infiniti (as long as they are not ripping her off) so discussion of how easy the pads are to replace is not really relevant.

two things for the OP to consider:
- yes, the S rotors can be resurfaced as long as they are not too 'thin'. there are clear specifications to follow in the service manual. if the rotors have enough material remaining (to safely dissipate friction heat), and they do not have excessive runout (warping) there is no serviceability reason they cannot be resurfaced. i agree this is good practice when getting new pads installed. the fact that your car is an S model has nothing to do with the dealer being able to resurface the rotors. either the rotors are too thin/warped and cannot safely be surfaced or the dealer is BS'ing you. by that i mean if there is enough material they CAN resurface. they are iron rotors just like the non-S trims. the only thing different is they are bigger. get the dealer to clarify why they claim the rotors need to be replaced.
2. if the Nissan dealer is saying that it will take an extended period to get Nissan brake parts i'd think about trying a different shop - dealer or otherwise. all dealer shops vary in competency and honesty/effectiveness.

hopefully this info will give the OP educated ammo to have a follow up discussion with the Nissan dealer, or when she finds a different shop.

BTW - any experienced shop accustomed to imports or brake services can perform this work and can use OE parts if requested. OE parts are not mandatory but some folks want to stick with them for piece of mind...

Last edited by canucklehead; 05-16-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:34 PM
Danmangto

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by xnick101
The labor is exactly the same for both calipers. Remove wheel, remove caliper, remove rotor, reset piston, reinstall rotor, replace pads, put wheel back. The general gist of it.
Yep.. but Dealers charge $100 extra on each axle when you have the bigger Nismo/Brembo brakes. Thats a fact. I guess they make more profit? LOL.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:36 PM
Danmangto

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollo
I don't think most people who have replied read the OPs whole post. There is no reason getting your brake pads replaced should be 500 dollars. That is ridiculous. If you are not experiencing any issues and are going to use OEM pads I don't know why you would even need the rotors resurfaced, but if they haven't been resurfaced before they absolutely can be now.

If you are worried about parts, buy the pads from Infiniti and let a brake shop replace them for you and turn the rotors if needed.
You are right, a brake job using existing rotors should never cost $500, check around with other dealers or places...
It should cost about $299 per axle for regular brakes and $399 per axle for the bigger brakes. you can look around to get 10% off coupons, etc.

Now if you need new rotors on regular sized brakes then the total job is about $549 per axle. Priced it out at many dealers...
Old 05-14-2017, 02:43 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
I will be doing the brakes on my car soon and I wanted to share the details.

If I were stopping there I would be at approximately $375. 4 new rotors, new F & R pads.

However I will also be installing the the Z1 SS lines as well.
https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...es-p-5285.html

Doing the SS lines of course will require a brake fluid exchange and I will be using Motul 5.1 fluid along with these bleeders.
Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

All in all I am at approximately $630 for new rotors, pads, SS brake lines, and fresh Motul fluid. You don't necessarily have to buy the bleeders but they will make the process much easier. Of course the SS lines are an upgrade and not required.

Everything I purchased I researched for the lowest prices and used coupon codes.