X sedan - Ideal height setup on C/O's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 10:22 PM
Coltrane1
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
X sedan - Ideal height setup on C/O's?

19" rims 245/40 275/35 tires

I'm going in for a coilover setup tomorrow.

What's the ultimate target stance for an X sedan?

I read a comment that 26 3/4" was great for 19" wheels.

But my biggest question is how to achieve a level setup without the reported 1/2" rear droop?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Old 05-07-2017, 11:26 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
26.75" is a good target to allow you to navigate easily on a daily basis and to keep that transfer case (and y-pipe, exhaust tips) from getting too low to the obstacles you might face. Luckily coilovers don't settle as drastic as lowering springs so you can set it much closer to your settled height from day one.

That rear sag that occurs w/ some lowering springs is something that typically occurs after the initial settling, not something that gets more drastic over time. Luckily it's only a couple brands that are doing this. If you set your coilovers at 26 7/8" you should get that 26.75 as they won't settle much, or 27" just to be safe. You acn set the rears about 1/8" higher if you want to insure a slightly raked look vs being lower in back. Luckily readjusting the height isn't too involved, maybe you can ask the installer if you can come back in a week in case the height isn't exactly where you want and see what they say, wouldn't hurt to ask.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:34 PM
Coltrane1
Premier Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
26.75" is a good target to allow you to navigate easily on a daily basis and to keep that transfer case (and y-pipe, exhaust tips) from getting too low to the obstacles you might face. Luckily coilovers don't settle as drastic as lowering springs so you can set it much closer to your settled height from day one.

That rear sag that occurs w/ some lowering springs is something that typically occurs after the initial settling, not something that gets more drastic over time. Luckily it's only a couple brands that are doing this. If you set your coilovers at 26 7/8" you should get that 26.75 as they won't settle much, or 27" just to be safe. You acn set the rears about 1/8" higher if you want to insure a slightly raked look vs being lower in back. Luckily readjusting the height isn't too involved, maybe you can ask the installer if you can come back in a week in case the height isn't exactly where you want and see what they say, wouldn't hurt to ask.
Much obliged for the reply sir!

What's the best F/R target to attempt to get an even stance w/o the droop, regardless of the drop? Ideally I'm leaning towards 26.5" FTG
Old 05-07-2017, 11:38 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Not to high jack the thread from Coltrane1.

What would be the benefit of having the rear slightly higher than the front?

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2017, 08:35 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

I'm at zero gap w/ my RWD and it's 26.25" to the fender arcs w/ 26.7" diameter tires.
I've been very happy w/ this setup vs. when I was 25.75", much more cringe-worthy situations then. With that AWD system to consider I think 26.75 would be a good plan, and if it settles to 26.5 should still be able to deal with it, and the great thing about coilovers is you can reevaluate at any time. And if you just change your height a 1/4" your alignment should still be in spec if you have it set w/ some room at the edges.

G37xS life~A little higher in back is a better stance than being higher in front, so if you set it just a hair higher it's not a bad look.
The following 2 users liked this post by blnewt:
Coltrane1 (05-09-2017), G37xS-Life (05-10-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 03:31 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by G37xS-Life
Not to high jack the thread from Coltrane1.

What would be the benefit of having the rear slightly higher than the front?

Thanks!
Generally, rear springs are softer than the front so the rear has to be taller to handle max load and keep relative height with front. It can also add a bit more oversteer than a level stance. Some do this to provide clearance for tires that are too wide for the wheel well.
The following users liked this post:
G37xS-Life (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 04:39 AM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Generally, rear springs are softer than the front so the rear has to be taller to handle max load and keep relative height with front. It can also add a bit more oversteer than a level stance. Some do this to provide clearance for tires that are too wide for the wheel well.
Oh ok. Then why on earth would Infiniti make the AWD coupe higher up front and lower in back? The difference between the front and back is 0.25-0.5 inches. Now that I actually measured it, it is hard not to notice it now......
Old 05-12-2017, 04:47 PM
Coltrane1
Premier Member

As a first stab at the setup I'm happy with the result.

Name:  DSCF9682_zpsou0w26kb.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  1.60 MB
Old 05-12-2017, 10:54 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

So glad you got that rear shock situation remedied and hopefully brought enough attention to the problem that it won't happen to another member around here.

That height is definitely looking proper!
Old 05-13-2017, 03:24 AM
Coltrane1
Premier Member

So glad you got that rear shock situation remedied and hopefully brought enough attention to the problem that it won't happen to another member around here.

That height is definitely looking proper!
thanks for the assist Mr. B!
Old 05-15-2017, 07:53 PM
eurtsx

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Car looks super fresh!
The following users liked this post:
Coltrane1 (05-18-2017)