G37x C/O install with a surprise - Day 1 - MyG37



G37x C/O install with a surprise - Day 1

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-21-2017, 02:08 AM   #1
Coltrane1
Premier Member
Thread Starter
 
Coltrane1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Seatown
Posts: 124
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
G37x C/O install with a surprise - Day 1

Coilover install today of Stance XR1's. A relatively quick install since there was no height adjustment option.

My 19x10 rears were just a tad wide at the outset, so the initial game plan was to simply drop the car an 1.25".

Wrong.

The rears were installed first - The highest setting of the coilover's created a near 2" drop. I don't know if this is "normal" for XR1's on an AWD G sedan. I'm guessing I'd still be dealing with the same "no adjustment" drop no matter how wide my current rears are?

Perhaps, if there was a plus side today, it's that the 19x10 rear's tucked. I'm not sold on these wheels or tires so if I'm forced to make a change to better accommodate the coilover's then I'll have to consider that. But I'm guessing no matter what I'm still going to end up with a rear tuck? Still, it was quite a surprise that the highest adjustment setting placed the rears in this position.

I'm brand new at this...still much to learn, obviously. I'll place a call to the rep tomorrow....more later.

Here's before





during





and after





F/


R/



Last edited by Coltrane1; 04-21-2017 at 03:20 AM.
Coltrane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:24 AM   #2
blnewt
Modr8r & DIY cheapsk8
iTrader: (10)
 
blnewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 20,995
Thanked 3,957 Times in 3,356 Posts
Looks pretty good, rears a bit lower than the front, not sure if you want to lower the front a bit more but would probably like the stance a bit better. Being AWD you have more to worry about underneath if you go any lower.

That is pretty common for the highest settings on sedan applications to still be a pretty low drop. There may be spring extenders for them (I know KW has them) that will get your rear higher up if you're not wanting it that low, wouldn't hurt to ask if you're calling them up.

What wheel & tire specs are you running (I'm sure it's somewhere on the site but I'm tired, lol).

Ideally I would shoot for about 1/3" lower in front and leave the back where it is, from the pics that would seem like a perfect balance.

Did you do any alignment work yet?
blnewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:03 PM   #3
Coltrane1
Premier Member
Thread Starter
 
Coltrane1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Seatown
Posts: 124
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blnewt View Post
Looks pretty good, rears a bit lower than the front, not sure if you want to lower the front a bit more but would probably like the stance a bit better. Being AWD you have more to worry about underneath if you go any lower.

That is pretty common for the highest settings on sedan applications to still be a pretty low drop. There may be spring extenders for them (I know KW has them) that will get your rear higher up if you're not wanting it that low, wouldn't hurt to ask if you're calling them up.

What wheel & tire specs are you running (I'm sure it's somewhere on the site but I'm tired, lol).

Ideally I would shoot for about 1/3" lower in front and leave the back where it is, from the pics that would seem like a perfect balance.

Did you do any alignment work yet?
As always, appreciative of your input blnewt! Alignment work, yes.

F19x9 245/40/19
R19x10 275/35/19

You may recall I earlier questioned a members suggestion that a 285/35/19 could be considered for an AWD G. My concern was stuffing a wider tire beneath the rear fender.

Per the shop there could be no SPC rear camber install without going to a narrower rear tire. Reason given: Additional camber adjustment would only bring the rear tire outward and place it closer to the fender. As it is, the rear is completely tucked about 3/8's" inside the rear fender.

There seems to be an awful low of red on this readout - that can't be ideal?



F/


R/
Coltrane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #4
blnewt
Modr8r & DIY cheapsk8
iTrader: (10)
 
blnewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 20,995
Thanked 3,957 Times in 3,356 Posts
Do you have the wheel offsets? That rear camber should be under -2 for reasonable tread wear, w/ that -3 you're going to wear the inner edges fairly quick, but your toe is good all around so your tires won't be fighting the road. I was running 295s on 10 +45 at camber of -1.0, hopefully your offset is in the +40 range, this would allow you to get that camber down and keep your fenders intact

Also are you absolutely sure there's no room to raise the back? If you can get that in the 26.25" range you should have an easier time w/ the camber spec.

Ok, found your specs, the 10 +41 running 275s will be fine w/ the SPC camber set added, you'll be able to get that camber down like me -1.0 if you want without trouble. My 10 +45 is 4mm in from your wheel on offset but out 10mm for the wider 295 for a net 6mm out from yours. Here's a pic of that setup~




Last edited by blnewt; 04-21-2017 at 04:39 PM.
blnewt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blnewt For This Useful Post:
Coltrane1 (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 04:26 PM   #5
zer099
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North GA
Posts: 208
Thanked 50 Times in 31 Posts
Throwing this out there, and I will admit I haven't read everything written, but when I was coil-over shopping it was pointed out to me to get 1" taller springs for the rear on my X to avoid running out of range. You can always do that. And to echo blnewt: try to get your rear much closer to -1.6 camber or better if you want to prolong the life of your rear tires. I run 40th anni 370z rays rear wheels (19x10; +30 offset) on my rear with 275/35/19s and easily set by with -1.6 camber, so you should be able to as well.
zer099 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zer099 For This Useful Post:
blnewt (04-21-2017), Coltrane1 (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #6
Coltrane1
Premier Member
Thread Starter
 
Coltrane1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Seatown
Posts: 124
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blnewt View Post
Do you have the wheel offsets? That rear camber should be under -2 for reasonable tread wear, w/ that -3 you're going to wear the inner edges fairly quick, but your toe is good all around so your tires won't be fighting the road. I was running 295s on 10 +45 at camber of -1.0, hopefully your offset is in the +40 range, this would allow you to get that camber down and keep your fenders intact

Also are you absolutely sure there's no room to raise the back? If you can get that in the 26.25" range you should have an easier time w/ the camber spec.
The offsets are f/35mm r/41mm. What should my alignment readings be with a SPC camber kit install?

According to the supplier, who reportedly installs these XR1's on AWD G's weekly, the rear is fully adjustable as well. It seems that the issue is this shop has never installed these true type coilover's and the result is they didn't know how to properly adjust them. I'm returning to the shop next Tuesday and after the shop speaks to the supplier I'm hopeful of getting an adjusted install.

But my concern is the shop didn't read the manual, for having just read it myself the adjustment protocol is written in clear terms. The shop tech advised me "these coilovers are only adjustable at the top and can't be adjusted once they're installed. The coilover's are at max height, so no height adjustment is available."

I'm thinking it's quite possible the tech never bothered to read the install manual, for if he did why would the tech tell me the rears cannot be raised.

What's baffling to me is I chose this shop because they reportedly do coilover installs often and they are reported to have one of the best alignment machines in the state.

Well, we'll see what Day 2 brings.
Coltrane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:24 PM   #7
blnewt
Modr8r & DIY cheapsk8
iTrader: (10)
 
blnewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 20,995
Thanked 3,957 Times in 3,356 Posts
G/L and like zer099 & I stated, you will be able to run those wheels specs w/ your current tire sizes w/ the SPC kit and get that camber in spec without fender issues.
blnewt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blnewt For This Useful Post:
Coltrane1 (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 05:34 PM   #8
PNW_IPL
Registered User
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,024
Thanked 100 Times in 96 Posts
Had the same issue with my stance true type. Way too low at highest setting. Had to get rid of them for oem type
PNW_IPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:55 PM   #9
Coltrane1
Premier Member
Thread Starter
 
Coltrane1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Seatown
Posts: 124
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_IPL View Post
Had the same issue with my stance true type. Way too low at highest setting. Had to get rid of them for oem type
Which Stance true type coilover's did you have? Per an installer who installs these XR1's on AWD G sedans weekly, not in my state, after setting the spring pre-load to zero the coilovers are fully adjustable.

I'll know more next week.
Coltrane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:26 PM   #10
Coltrane1
Premier Member
Thread Starter
 
Coltrane1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Seatown
Posts: 124
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Apologies to all. I erroneously posted this to the "wheels and tires" section when I meant to post it to the "suspension and brake" section.
Coltrane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:06 PM   #11
blnewt
Modr8r & DIY cheapsk8
iTrader: (10)
 
blnewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 20,995
Thanked 3,957 Times in 3,356 Posts
It's ok, didn't seem to hamper the replies
blnewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:22 PM   #12
Coltrane1
Premier Member
Thread Starter
 
Coltrane1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Seatown
Posts: 124
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blnewt View Post
It's ok, didn't seem to hamper the replies
There's a recent G37X coupe - Stance XR1 install in the suspension section. I missed my chance to balance that with a sedan.

edit - btw, those rears on your G look MEAN! How'd you ever part with them?

Last edited by Coltrane1; 04-21-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Coltrane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:21 PM   #13
blnewt
Modr8r & DIY cheapsk8
iTrader: (10)
 
blnewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 20,995
Thanked 3,957 Times in 3,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltrane1 View Post
There's a recent G37X coupe - Stance XR1 install in the suspension section. I missed my chance to balance that with a sedan.

edit - btw, those rears on your G look MEAN! How'd you ever part with them?
I still have them but are on 285s now, they are in my attic, lol.
But I will be running 285s on my 18s in back when my current tires wear down, or maybe even sooner and save the current 245s for extra fronts
blnewt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blnewt For This Useful Post:
Coltrane1 (04-21-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 01:05 PM   #14
ZahyMatar
Registered User
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Camp Lejeune, NC
Posts: 1,419
Thanked 207 Times in 171 Posts
So I contacted Stance USA today and brought up this issue, it appears that you may have gotten a bad batch. I'd definitely give them a call and tell them you can't adjust the rears anymore, a friend of mine was able to get very close to stock height with the true-type rears. With a true-type setup, ride height is adjusted with the shock body, so a longer spring wouldn't change anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer099 View Post
Throwing this out there, and I will admit I haven't read everything written, but when I was coil-over shopping it was pointed out to me to get 1" taller springs for the rear on my X to avoid running out of range. You can always do that. And to echo blnewt: try to get your rear much closer to -1.6 camber or better if you want to prolong the life of your rear tires. I run 40th anni 370z rays rear wheels (19x10; +30 offset) on my rear with 275/35/19s and easily set by with -1.6 camber, so you should be able to as well.
That only applies to the OEM type coilovers, where the height is adjusted with the spring perch.
ZahyMatar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZahyMatar For This Useful Post:
Coltrane1 (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 02:14 PM   #15
Coltrane1
Premier Member
Thread Starter
 
Coltrane1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Seatown
Posts: 124
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZahyMatar View Post
So I contacted Stance USA today and brought up this issue, it appears that you may have gotten a bad batch. I'd definitely give them a call and tell them you can't adjust the rears anymore, a friend of mine was able to get very close to stock height with the true-type rears. With a true-type setup, ride height is adjusted with the shock body, so a longer spring wouldn't change anything.
Thanks Z. I'll give Stance a call.
Coltrane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 AM.


Copyright 2002 - 2017, MYG37.COM All Rights Reserved.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send