Stainless Steel Brake Lines + Akebonos

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 09:34 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Stainless Steel Brake Lines + Akebonos

I'm putting together a brake upgrade kit for my X sedan and want to add in a set of SS lines. It seems like I have a couple options: Goodridge, Z1, and Stoptech. From what I'm reading, it looks as if Goodridge is the most popular option.

My question is as follows:

Because I'm installing the Akebono calipers on my sedan, do I buy a SS line kit that is made for a coupe or for a sedan? I'm a little bit unclear on this aspect, and I want to ensure I order the right set of lines so I don't get stuck in the middle of an install.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!
Old 02-13-2014, 10:46 AM
grojas112
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
you will need to purchase SS lines for the sport
Old 02-13-2014, 11:04 AM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
Hey, I can help with this! I've got a sport coupe and have been deciphering all the different kits out there. My two main options are Goodridge and StopTech (these are what my what my favorite vendor offers *cough* ZSpeedPerformance!).

Cars that came stock with the Akebono
In the front and rear, these cars come from the factory with rubber hose that connects to a hard line sticking out of the caliper. So the order is hard line at the fender > rubber hose (in the wheel well) > hard line starting near the knuckle that attaches the caliper.
The Goodridge kit provides SS lines that replace the stock rubber line only (i.e. the ss line goes from the hard line on the fender wall to the hard line that is attached the caliper). I believe the Z1 kit is the same, however I haven't looked into the Z1 option too much.
The StopTech kit provides an SS line that replaces the stock rubber line and the hard line out of the caliper. Further, the StopTech Kit uses a different routing and mounting method (no brass blocks, just clamps on the line). This line is a long stainless steel braided line with a few clamps on. The routing is not ideal in my opinion.

Cars that came with the base model brakes
In the front, these cars came with a rubber hose from the fender to the knuckle, a hard line on parts of the knuckle and a rubber line to the caliper. Rubber > Hard > Rubber > Caliper.
All the kits replace the entire front segment (rubber, hard, rubber) from the fender wall, to the caliper.
I am not sure of the routing for the Goodridge kit.
The StopTech kit provides a single SS line that replaces the entire segment. The routing isn't particularly nice.
In the rear, the factory setup is a rubber line from the fender to the caliper.
I am not sure what any of the kits do here.

My recommendations:
If your Akebono BBK comes with the hard line sticking out of the caliper, you should purchase the Goodridge sport kit for sedans (I recommend Goodridge as the routing is close to stock, and it makes use of the hard line; I'll be going this route soon).
If your Akebono BBK does not come with the hard line and you find it difficult to obtain these hard lines, you should a StopTech kit for the sport sedans. This will come with the right hardware to mount to the Akebono and the lines are long enough as to replace the hard line into the caliper.

Other notes:
If you buy a kit that goes directly to the caliper, be aware that the banjo bolt is different (length and perhaps threading too) on the stock and Akebono calipers. Akebono calipers require a shorter banjo bolt!

Hard line part numbers (from 2008 Sport Coupe):
46246-JK60B left front
46245-JK60B right front
46315-JL00A right rear
46316-JL00A left rear

Links/References:
370z isntalling StopTech Lines, good pictures of the routing used I do not like how the lines are between the rotor and knuckle, I prefer them to be behind the knuckle (as per the stock design).
The FSM for the coupe, BR-21 has an overview of the piping layouts for the base/sport brake piping. It will help you understand what is being replaced.

Last edited by Dough1397; 02-15-2014 at 07:23 PM.
The following 10 users liked this post by Dough1397:
blnewt (02-13-2014), dawg (09-05-2014), G10 (10-07-2014), Marionan (06-28-2016), Motoboat (06-11-2014), PerDiem (06-13-2014), Redfire32 (10-08-2014), rm2342 (02-13-2014), ttv36 (02-14-2014), wowwed (10-05-2014) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-13-2014, 11:44 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Wow thanks for all this valuable information. I'm assuming since I have the base model brakes now, and am swapping to the Akebono caliper option, I should get something for the sedan once I figure out if my calipers have this hard line attached to them, yes?

I have already purchased the correct banjo bolt for the Akebono caliper - 17mm M10x1.0 versus the 20.3mm one that is included on base calipers.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:00 PM
elrey85
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
Wow thanks for all this valuable information. I'm assuming since I have the base model brakes now, and am swapping to the Akebono caliper option, I should get something for the sedan once I figure out if my calipers have this hard line attached to them, yes?

I have already purchased the correct banjo bolt for the Akebono caliper - 17mm M10x1.0 versus the 20.3mm one that is included on base calipers.
I too want to upgrade to the Akebono brake set for my X sedan. Thanks for the great info. I am assuming after getting the correct banjo bolts for the calipers, the stoptech SS kit is the best option upgrading from the base brake calipers? Also is where is a good place to get those banjo bolts. I am assuming its 4 of them, one for each caliper?
Old 02-13-2014, 02:48 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Sounds like a good plan.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:24 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
wish i knew this info when i did my swap 2 weeks ago.

I kept my stock lines from my X and just did the akebonos. Then found out the banjo bolts were too long... good thing the auto hobby shop had a grinder so i just grinded those suckers down lol
Old 02-13-2014, 04:06 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Thanks for the Details Dough, I copied your info on a sticky thread in the brake section so others will have easy access to it, nice job!
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...line-info.html
The following users liked this post:
Dough1397 (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 04:19 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by elrey85
I too want to upgrade to the Akebono brake set for my X sedan. Thanks for the great info. I am assuming after getting the correct banjo bolts for the calipers, the stoptech SS kit is the best option upgrading from the base brake calipers? Also is where is a good place to get those banjo bolts. I am assuming its 4 of them, one for each caliper?
I guess you could just get the Stoptech SS kit from the start. That way you'll have fresh lines from the fender area, all the way to the caliper. I may do that as well. Seems like the best route to follow.

Regarding the Banjo bolts, I picked mine up from Nissan as the 370z has the same calipers as the G37 coupe sport models. AND surprisingly, they're cheaper at the Nissan dealership near my house, versus the Infiniti dealerships.... DAFUQ is that?
Old 02-13-2014, 10:28 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

I guess you could just get the Stoptech SS kit from the start. That way you'll have fresh lines from the fender area, all the way to the caliper. I may do that as well. Seems like the best route to follow.

Regarding the Banjo bolts, I picked mine up from Nissan as the 370z has the same calipers as the G37 coupe sport models. AND surprisingly, they're cheaper at the Nissan dealership near my house, versus the Infiniti dealerships.... DAFUQ is that?
Yes, definite advantage of using the StopTech kit is that the lines can be used with any trim level coupe or sedan (90% positive, will check in the coming days and update if wrong).
Old 02-14-2014, 12:58 AM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
That was an awesome post Dough!

My calipers came with the hard lines so I went with the Z1 OEM style. It sounds like the stoptech are a good choice if your calipers don't have the hard lines.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:06 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Dough1397
Yes, definite advantage of using the StopTech kit is that the lines can be used with any trim level coupe or sedan (90% positive, will check in the coming days and update if wrong).
If you come across any new findings please update the sticky thread too, this is a valuable resource. thank you sir
Old 06-11-2014, 10:49 AM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Connor, any update on your install? How are things going with this?
Old 06-11-2014, 12:17 PM
IEMaestro
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I'm reading this correctly, since I already have OEM Akebonos, all I need to purchase is the Stoptech kit and four banjo bolts? Does anyone have the part number for the banjo bolts?
Old 06-11-2014, 02:28 PM
AMai1215

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
The fitment of the StopTech lines are not so great. The brake lines will eventually loosen up and move out of it's original shape. The plastic sleeve that covers the lines have started to get eaten up by the passing of the wheels weights. The performance shop I go to had to push the lines back so it won't get caught up again. It would have been a big problem if the braided lines broke.

Go with Goodridge because it connects to some of the OEM parts already equipped.

Quick Reply: Stainless Steel Brake Lines + Akebonos