Swift spring install.. not all good..help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 04:17 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by ErikM
So I've come to one of two choices.. at this point it's go back to stock or keep the springs and add KYB GR2 shocks and struts...
If wheel gap is not imortant to you, I would go back to stock. Even with KYBs, it will still not be as comfortable as stock.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:05 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
So I've come to one of two choices.. at this point it's go back to stock or keep the springs and add KYB GR2 shocks and struts...
Well if nothing else at least the KYBs should hold up better long term w/ those springs. Good luck w/ whatever direction you choose, sucks to plunk down a fair amount of coin and not be happy, but I would get it aligned first and re-evaluate before investing in more labor & money.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:19 AM
ErikM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Yup, sucks to spend and be unhappy. The look is killer and with the current wheel setup the car looks great. So far I'm out $550.00. If I get the GR2 shocks I'll be into it for another close to $600.00 between parts and labor. If it isn't right , and I go back to stock, I'd be out more labor $$ and I'll have spent $1400.00. I'd sell the springs, I should be able to get $200.00 for them and so in the end I'll have pissed away $1200.00 ... I'm also not including the cost of two alignments. I really wish I could drive a car with springs and upgraded shocks, because from my research the KYB GR2 shocks are basically an OEM level shock with basically OEM damping.. Not what the car needs...

Last edited by ErikM; 03-21-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:49 PM
AZNnite

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I too am experiencing the same problem. I had the following suspension mods completed - Swift Springs, Hotchkis sway bar, Cusco FSB, finished off with an alignment to spec. Car handles fine in a straight line, but when taking hard turns or when switching lanes during high speeds, handling feels compromised. Car tends to feel squirrly and seems to be wander similar when hydroplaning.

Still waiting for KW or similar to release coilovers for the AWD model...
Until then, I guess we're just stuck...
Old 03-21-2013, 04:15 PM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I also feel the same way about people saying "coils are great and comfortable" because they dropped a grand and feel like they have a sense of satisfaction knowing they spent a lot of money on coils.

I have KW's and I'm going back to stock. I opted for Swifts, but after reading some threads I'm calling it quits on future 'upgrades.' There's better things to be spending money on when we already have a nice car.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:04 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
There are always "pros & cons" to modding.
I feel for you...I have looked at the all the variables into lowering my G and find that there are more positives than negatives.
Since all my previous vehicles has been lowered, this decision for the G was a necessary move on my part...I've tried keeping it stock height.
My wife was totally against lowering, but my persistent won...even tried to figure out other ways to lower the G without her knowing!
My problem is that once it's lowered, I can't go back to stock!

What ever decision you make will be the right one for you.
Money is tight and it's hard to know that by spending on things that don't work out sucks.

Let us know your final decision...
Old 03-21-2013, 06:25 PM
ErikM

I was all set to spend the cash on the KYB GR2's.. I spoke with KYb's tech support today and they basically told me that they wouldn't really work.. has to do with stroke lengh etc.. So anyone want a set of swift springs?? $200.00 plus shipping :-)
Old 03-21-2013, 06:56 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
I was all set to spend the cash on the KYB GR2's.. I spoke with KYb's tech support today and they basically told me that they wouldn't really work.. has to do with stroke lengh etc.. So anyone want a set of swift springs?? $200.00 plus shipping :-)
They say that every time lowering springs are mentioned. They only warranty up to a 1.5" drop, which unknown to them the Swifts fall well within that range.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:22 PM
ErikM

KYB didn't say anything about warrenty, what they told be is that below a 1" drop the shock does not have the range of stroke to properly control the spring. They did say fine on the rears since it's a bit less than an inch but the fronts fall outside the range.. But what do I know I'm just relaying what they told me...
Old 03-21-2013, 08:17 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
As Ive mentioned before, its the dampers.
I had Eibachs with stock dampers, and rode very harsh.
I installed Konis with the Eibachs, and it was a major improvement.
I now have Swifts on the Konis, and the ride is outstanding!

Bottom line, you install aftermarket springs, you WILL need aftermarket dampers, the OEM dampers are tuned to the OEM spring.

Lastly its a fallacy to believe that "coilovers" are the way to go.
How many people here actually use true coilovers on the rear, pretty much no one, its a n aftermarket damper, and a spring that sits in a bucket.
The G's McPherson strut is already a coil over.

I agree you will gain adjustability, but really, for the street??
Old 03-21-2013, 08:18 PM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
If you're a function>form guy, sell the springs and get some coilovers. The G is 40,000$ plus sports coupe. Respect it and do it right the first time.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:24 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Originally Posted by IPL 370GT
If you're a function>form guy, sell the springs and get some coilovers. The G is 40,000$ plus sports coupe. Respect it and do it right the first time.
It;s not easy keeping up with you. You JDM baller!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:43 PM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
It;s not easy keeping up with you. You JDM baller!
Swift springs are nearly 400$. Adding Koni's or Tokico to the mix and you're pushing closer to 1,000$ or more . For just a little more you can purchase some budget minded Stance coilovers. Stance has a good rep, track tested and proven and made in the US. Stance isn't the best coilover system, they make a good entry-level product, at a great price.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:14 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Originally Posted by IPL 370GT
Swift springs are nearly 400$. Adding Koni's or Tokico to the mix and you're pushing closer to 1,000$ or more . For just a little more you can purchase some budget minded Stance coilovers. Stance has a good rep, track tested and proven and made in the US. Stance isn't the best coilover system, they make a good entry-level product, at a great price.

But its those words you use, budget, entry level!!
Also, there are numerous complaints of noise.
If I ever do coilovers, it will be top shelf.

Many here have given up coilovers for spring/damper combinations.

Koni has a great rep, I've been using them for 40 years.
Track tested, you name the race, they've been there.
Lifetime warranty, they wont repair, they will send you a new one before you send yours.

I have no hassles with my Swift/Koni combo. I spent an afternoon adjusting rebound in the canyons, for neutrality, and left it be.

It rides like a sportier OEM, and the stance is perfect. Heck, my wife, that knows nothing about cars, made a comment on how well the car rides!

But to each his/her own!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:32 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
KW V1 and call it a day!! Trust me you be happy you did!

Quick Reply: Swift spring install.. not all good..help...