Swift spring install.. not all good..help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 03:44 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by ErikM
Didn't get the aligmment yet only have about 150 miles on since spring install.. car does track straight though...
Get an alignment. The Swifts hardly settle, but get it anyway.

Your car can still go straight even with alignment out of whack.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:01 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by madmax2k1
Finally a voice of reason, I'm sick and tired of people claiming that their car ride as good as stock after dropping it on springs. I also have my doubts about coils, nothing gonna beat the ride of your stock G; that's why I opted of the G37S and the hell with wheel gap.
Agreed that any drop won't be as "comfortable" as stock...the nature of modding.
Glad that you have opted for the G37S and the truth is that it sits lower from factory than the G37x(S)...that is why I find lowering with the Swifts is actually more of a "must" for me.

I was very hesitant in lowering my G37xS and debated over & over to find the answer.
I've even posted several threads asking for alternatives regarding lowering or not...but finally came to a decision that I don't regret.

OP...still wondering if you are RWD or AWD?
Since I'm AWD, I ended up upgrading just my rear sway with the G37S's...front sway on the G37x is already thickest stock.
Plus I have the GTSPEC FSTB too.
With these suspension upgrades, I think all in all my G37xS ride pretty good!

Last edited by dragion; 03-19-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:14 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I'm interested in hearing how the drive is post-alignment, I know when I lowered on springs before I got it aligned it was a squirrely beast.
After the alignment much better, still jaw rattling since I was pretty low but much more controlled. After coils I'm very pleased. The road used to be an enemy when I was pretty slammed, now that I'm about a half inch higher and I can tune my ride I no longer worry much about the road being something sinister
Old 03-19-2013, 04:40 PM
ErikM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
It's an AWD car.. and FSTB is what? Front Strut Tower Brace???
Old 03-19-2013, 04:42 PM
ErikM

What are GR-2s ?

Originally Posted by soundmike
How many miles on the dampers? And which Swift did you get, the one for sedan or coupe? Both will fit but the coupe springs have significantly higher spring rates.

FWIW, i paired the sedan springs with GR-2s, it's firm and taute. Very well controlled, IMHO. It reminds me of my BC Coilovers on 15 clicks.

I'm a function kind of guy, and yes i went back to spring/strut combos. On or off track i hardly made adjustments to height or damper settings, and i could never get the rears of the BCs higher so i went with the Swift and GR2, they're not performance by any means but still better than OEM and the Swifts are very compliant. The added suspension travel is also great to have at the limits.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:05 PM
J2S2M

Didn't get the aligmment yet only have about 150 miles on since spring install.. car does track straight though...
This could the problem. Try getting an alignment back into specs and see if that fixes or at least improves the issues you are having. 150 miles is plenty of miles let your springs settle. Also, even though your car drives straight, your alignment can still be out of spec. There are more factors to consider such as caster, toe angle, etc not just if your car drives straight or not.

If I were you, I'd wait til the alignment before deciding if you want to ditch the springs or not. Just my .02
Old 03-19-2013, 05:07 PM
J2S2M

What are GR-2s ?
GR-2's are aftermarket struts made by KYB. Think of Tokico making hp struts. Same thing.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:07 PM
J2S2M

DING DING DING!!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:13 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by madmax2k1
Finally a voice of reason, I'm sick and tired of people claiming that their car ride as good as stock after dropping it on springs. I also have my doubts about coils, nothing gonna beat the ride of your stock G; that's why I opted of the G37S and the hell with wheel gap.
I will not disagree with you about springs. No way does a car ride the same with springs. No. freakin. way.

However, allow me to assuage your doubts about coils. With the proper set of coils, and a fair amount of adjustability, your car CAN indeed ride like stock when lowered.

I have the KW V3 set at 11 up front and 9 in the back. It is more stiff than stock at that setting, but the ride is not harsh. It conveys much more 'road-feel' and I absolutely love driving it. I posted a thread in the 'other cars' section stating how this set-up has pretty much ruined me for anything else. I'm spoiled now... so either I get new coils with each new car, or my wife hits the lotto and I get a GT-R.

(prolly end up putting coils on that, too )
Old 03-19-2013, 05:27 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Yep. Keeps the car planted when launching hard into a turn from a dead stop. Helps a little bit in sharp, low-speed turns, too. But overall it's a relatively inexpensive DIY mod that any monkey can install, and the engine bay bling is pretty cool.

Cusco and GT-Spec seem to the two most common options for the G.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:38 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Yep. Keeps the car planted when launching hard into a turn from a dead stop. Helps a little bit in sharp, low-speed turns, too. But overall it's a relatively inexpensive DIY mod that any monkey can install, and the engine bay bling is pretty cool.

Cusco and GT-Spec seem to the two most common options for the G.
There's also Circuit Sports

Circuit Sport (Alutec) Strut Bar - G35Driver
Old 03-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
True. Didn't think of that one because I never gave it consideration, being a one-piece and all. However it likely does best what a FSTB should do.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:53 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
It's an AWD car..
Thank you for letting us know.

Here is a pic of the GTSPEC Front Strut Bar/Brace:
Name:  IMAG0413.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  120.8 KB

Name:  IMAG0414-1_zps69f7bbd1.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  117.2 KB

Name:  IMAG0415.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  79.7 KB

Last edited by dragion; 03-20-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:48 AM
samps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will echo others' suggestions for going with coilovers. I've had a number of different suspensions on different types of vehicles, lifted, lowered, springs, springs plus shocks, coilovers. If you want all around matched function, coilovers are the best. If you are only going with springs, obviously the stock shocks won't be matched. They will work, but they're not matched perfectly. Sometimes you can match up springs and shocks but let's face it, coilovers are designed specifically for application.

I'm at point now that I just leave stock as-is. I've found other holes to dump my money into.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:13 PM
ErikM

So I've come to one of two choices.. at this point it's go back to stock or keep the springs and add KYB GR2 shocks and struts...

Quick Reply: Swift spring install.. not all good..help...