Swift spring install.. not all good..help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Tanabe coilovers can be had for <1k new or <600 used in the classifieds. Very comfortable, much more so than stock and ride height adjustable (not damping adjustable). They are great for DD, not track as they are not as stiff as other coilovers but if you aren't going to see track time and only spirited driving, these will do well by you.

If you don't want to go to coilovers quite yet, you can get Koni yellow rebound adjustable shocks that would match well with your springs. Though not as comfortable as the Tanabes mentioned above, they will be an improvement over stock. It will still be a little bouncy (I have them on my e34) and stiffer than stock, the car does not fly around everywhere as it seems like you are experiencing. If I had to do it again, I would have gone with a coilover set up for the e34 but I've heard that they are all very stiff. The Koni/spring combo goes for about as much as the Tanabe coilovers though, so imo, I would suggest selling the springs and going for the coils. GL
Old 03-19-2013, 08:44 AM
rza2042

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Something that helped me after lowering on Swift was to upgrade the sways. Noticed a huge improvement in handling immediately. Also added a Cusco strut bar which seemed to really firm up the front end, along with the sways. The car handles MUCH better now and seems more sure of it's path, if that makes sense. I am still using the factory sport shocks but may upgrade to Koni in the future.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:04 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
How many miles on the dampers? And which Swift did you get, the one for sedan or coupe? Both will fit but the coupe springs have significantly higher spring rates.

FWIW, i paired the sedan springs with GR-2s, it's firm and taute. Very well controlled, IMHO. It reminds me of my BC Coilovers on 15 clicks.

I'm a function kind of guy, and yes i went back to spring/strut combos. On or off track i hardly made adjustments to height or damper settings, and i could never get the rears of the BCs higher so i went with the Swift and GR2, they're not performance by any means but still better than OEM and the Swifts are very compliant. The added suspension travel is also great to have at the limits.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:39 AM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rza2042
Something that helped me after lowering on Swift was to upgrade the sways. Noticed a huge improvement in handling immediately. Also added a Cusco strut bar which seemed to really firm up the front end, along with the sways. The car handles MUCH better now and seems more sure of it's path, if that makes sense. I am still using the factory sport shocks but may upgrade to Koni in the future.
Upgrading sways will make the ride more stiff on uneven roads, bumps and potholes.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
If comfort is your primary concern, stick with OEM. They are pretty comfortable. If you are trying to add a measure of performance, you will generally sacrifice some amount of ride comfort. That being said, your options are to install a quality set of coilovers that are not valved/sprung too stiffly for your taste. Or keep your Swift springs, and purchase a set of aftermarket dampers that are adjustable such as Koni. Paired together they should probably give you the best of both worlds as much as can be expected.
The following users liked this post:
tai01 (11-24-2014)
Old 03-19-2013, 11:17 AM
rza2042

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by awais
Upgrading sways will make the ride more stiff on uneven roads, bumps and potholes.
^ This is true to a certain extent. However, I feel like I have more control over my vehicle on bumpy, uneven roads with potholes. Matching the springs to the proper damper would be the OP's best bet in resolving the issue or going back to stock if money is a concern.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
If comfort is your primary concern, stick with OEM. They are pretty comfortable. If you are trying to add a measure of performance, you will generally sacrifice some amount of ride comfort. That being said, your options are to install a quality set of coilovers that are not valved/sprung too stiffly for your taste. Or keep your Swift springs, and purchase a set of aftermarket dampers that are adjustable such as Koni. Paired together they should probably give you the best of both worlds as much as can be expected.
Good, basic advice right there.

What I've observed from years in another car forum is that the lifespan of OEM struts (and OEM-ish replacements) is significantly reduced when paired with lowering springs. So you've got that to look forward to.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:57 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I noticed the same thing with my eibach setup, so it isn't just the swift springs. Looked great, rode like ***. I went back to stock. Could really give a rats *** about having 0 wheel gap so it didn't make sense for me to keep them in there very much longer if I wasn't happy with how it rode and drove. I drive too much to care. Couple weeks ago I drove my friends G35 that I sold my eibach setup to and on the same road my car cruises right down, his was slamming into holes and bouncing everywhere. Damn i didn't miss that.

Honestly, if you want stock ride with less body roll etc, get a set of sway bars. They made a pretty big difference for me when I had them in there as well. Or get coilovers, but I have a feeling as much as people like to say a set of coil overs will ride like stock if tuned properly, that they are just saying that to please themselves. I have yet to drive a car with coils that rode like stock. They all bounced and made my arm fat jiggle. There just isn't as much room to absorb a bump when your car is lower..

But I am weird and go against the grain of most car forums these days lol.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:27 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Cheap or stiff coilovers ride like crap and are all about lowering. Quality coilovers where you can get custom spring and valve rates will ride like an 80's Lincoln Continental if you get them valved and sprung correctly. Too soft is bouncy, too hard is jarring.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:34 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I feel like if a slammed G rode like an 80s lincoln continental, it would be scraping the bottom and bottoming out over every slight bump on the interstate haha.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by WannabeSport
I feel like if a slammed G rode like an 80s lincoln continental, it would be scraping the bottom and bottoming out over every slight bump on the interstate haha.
I didn't say slammed. That's going to almost always ride harshly. A 1" drop or slightly more than that can still ride very comfortably though. Slammed cars aren't about ride but looks anyway. And the stretched super short sidewall tires on them will also prevent the ride form being comfy.

My point was that the Swift springs themselves aren't the main problem. It's the spring rate, coupled with the valving of the OEM dampers that aren't really compatible with each other.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:20 PM
ErikM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Lots of info and opinions.. As BB says it's not the springs but the OEM dampers that can't control the springs... At this point I'm leaning towards replacing the OE struts/shocks or just going back to stock..

And to Robert K .. not I didn't expect it to ride smoother, I never said I expected it to ride smoother... and I'm guessing the last line was a typo, and you "not"

FYI, The car has 3K miles on it, rides on 18x8 Lexani Wheels, +35 offset, 245/45/18 Michelin primacy mxm4

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I didn't say slammed. That's going to almost always ride harshly. A 1" drop or slightly more than that can still ride very comfortably though. Slammed cars aren't about ride but looks anyway. And the stretched super short sidewall tires on them will also prevent the ride form being comfy.

My point was that the Swift springs themselves aren't the main problem. It's the spring rate, coupled with the valving of the OEM dampers that aren't really compatible with each other.

Last edited by ErikM; 03-19-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:28 PM
J2S2M

OP, is your car alignment in spec? Not sure if I overlooked it in the post, but if you didn't get a proper alignment once the springs settled, this could be the reason why you are experiencing unpredictable ride/handling.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:16 PM
ErikM

Didn't get the aligmment yet only have about 150 miles on since spring install.. car does track straight though...
Old 03-19-2013, 03:34 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WannabeSport
I noticed the same thing with my eibach setup, so it isn't just the swift springs. Looked great, rode like ***. I went back to stock. Could really give a rats *** about having 0 wheel gap so it didn't make sense for me to keep them in there very much longer if I wasn't happy with how it rode and drove. I drive too much to care. Couple weeks ago I drove my friends G35 that I sold my eibach setup to and on the same road my car cruises right down, his was slamming into holes and bouncing everywhere. Damn i didn't miss that.

Honestly, if you want stock ride with less body roll etc, get a set of sway bars. They made a pretty big difference for me when I had them in there as well. Or get coilovers, but I have a feeling as much as people like to say a set of coil overs will ride like stock if tuned properly, that they are just saying that to please themselves. I have yet to drive a car with coils that rode like stock. They all bounced and made my arm fat jiggle. There just isn't as much room to absorb a bump when your car is lower..

But I am weird and go against the grain of most car forums these days lol.
Finally a voice of reason, I'm sick and tired of people claiming that their car ride as good as stock after dropping it on springs. I also have my doubts about coils, nothing gonna beat the ride of your stock G; that's why I opted of the G37S and the hell with wheel gap.

Quick Reply: Swift spring install.. not all good..help...