Worn & warped rotors at 13K miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 06:01 PM
rmjcvelez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
In the interest of correctness and clarity, the rotors very likely aren't warped. They have uneven pad deposits that are causing the vibration. It's not that uncommon. Actual warping is very uncommon on the rotors of modern street cars. My wife has an 09 sedan and it has the same issue at 45K miles as I mentioned in another thread. All it requires is having the rotors machined a little bit to clean off the rotor friction surface. Perhaps switching to a different brake pad may help, the ones uses on your car now may have a different composition than the ones on your earlier G's causing different wear characteristics.
Again thanks-and sorry for any confusion. My rear rotors were warped and ultimately replaced by the dealer under a dealer warranty claim. The fronts were resurfaced. Again, this is shocking wear and tear to me.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
In the interest of correctness and clarity, the rotors very likely aren't warped. They have uneven pad deposits that are causing the vibration. It's not that uncommon. Actual warping is very uncommon on the rotors of modern street cars.
Thank you.

People (and dealerships) throw around the phrase "warped rotors" way-y-y-y too freely. Probably because the description so easily fits the symptoms. But still, it's nice to see someone push back.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:12 PM
rmjcvelez

I'm trying to understand how the on-board electronics interact with the ABS computer system. As someone mentioned, the calipers could be slightly engaged once I remove my foot from the brake as if there may be some sort of "out of sync" occurring between the two systems.

This is all good stuff and I do thank everyone for contributing. I have lodged a complaint with Infiniti Consumer service as well as submitting my maintenance records to Consumer Reports.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:11 PM
samps

On our G sedan we experienced the brake judder around 15000 miles. Had the rotors turned under warranty. Did not pay a cent. At around 20000 miles before the warranty ran out I claimed brake judder again and had all 4 rotors replaced. Did not pay a cent.

Something seems wrong in your case and I don't think you should have paid anything, given how low your mileage is. That is unless, there are clear signs of driver abuse which led to the brake issues. However, based on what you've noted it doesn't sound like this is the case.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:46 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Did you get any updates from Infiniti Consumer Affairs?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:31 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
I ended up with 3 brake jobs 1 time including rotors.
Never paid a dime, I'd raise some hell.
Print the tsb on the brake rotor failure & go back.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:49 PM
rmjcvelez

Just an update-Aug-2013
My G just hit 20k miles. I noticed a pulsating feeling when braking again. I returned the 2013 G to the dealer for inspection and my rotors are once again warped, my pads worn and my braking system shows excessive wear and tear.

The dealer is now replacing the rotors and pads for the 2nd time within a year.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:16 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I got brake pulsation at 24K on my 09 s, So I went and bought replacement brake pads anticipating to replace them all, only to find the pads were near new. The trouble is the slot on the pads was full of dust. I cleaned off the dust, clean and lube the brake hardware and now braking action is brand new, no pulsing at any speed.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:16 AM
lightlypurified
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
dealer jipped me to inspect rotors and brakes to see if there warped 80 bucks and they wanted 600 to resurface and change pads. FUHHHHHHHHHH NO i bought new aftermarket slotted and drilled rotors and new pads for less.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:39 AM
ErikM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I've owned 3 G's a 08, 09, and my 13. My 08 and 09 both needed brakes done at 15K intervals.. My 09 had brake judder when I took delivery with 20miles on the clock! My dealer has NEVER charged me a cent for brakes.. It's been a known issue on these cars that they eat rotors and pads..and it's allways been a warrenty job.. Maybe the result of a good relationship with a good dealer...

Last edited by ErikM; 08-16-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:04 PM
easy rider

Definitive brake information

This is one of the best bits of info about brake rotors I've seen.

I also concur with the first comment posting titled "Mechanics Hate This Article" on this website below.

A very worthwhile read:
Raybestos Brake Tech School, Part One: Rotors Don't Warp | Hendon Publishing

Bottom line from seasoned mechanics: Rotor Quality and pad choice matters when it comes to repeating brake pulsation issue
Old 02-02-2016, 02:58 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by easy rider
This is one of the best bits of info about brake rotors I've seen.

I also concur with the first comment posting titled "Mechanics Hate This Article" on this website below.

A very worthwhile read:
Raybestos Brake Tech School, Part One: Rotors Don't Warp | Hendon Publishing

Bottom line from seasoned mechanics: Rotor Quality and pad choice matters when it comes to repeating brake pulsation issue
That is a good read, especially the part about how most places torque improperly w/ the air impact wrenches.
It only addresses part of the problem, another major factor is uneven pad deposits from keeping the brakes depressed on still, hot rotors and improper bedding or lack of bedding on pads that require it.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:12 PM
easy rider

One more reference website to check

Brad,
I concur that brake pad imprinting can also cause Disk Thickness Variation and thus pulsing brakes.
My research and experience with brake judder over the years has finally convinced
me to buy a $30 dial indicator with visegrips mount from Harbor Freight and checking
the initial lateral runout of the Chinese manufactured cast iron rotors
(just about all of them these days) when I replace them on my vehicles now.

Here is another solid read from those who do this for a living:
Warped' Rotors Myth - Correctly Service Brakes: Runout, Disc Thickness
Old 02-02-2016, 07:21 PM
easy rider

Just to add one more data point - I have settled on the rotors/pads most recommend on these forums (mostly by you). The Centric Premium Rotors and the Stoptech Street Performance pads. Best combo I have seen yet on my Akebono sport brakes. I am not going to spend hundreds of dollars for anything more than that...
Old 02-02-2016, 09:20 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice post Rider, I had that dial indicator & clamp on my Christmas Wish list but I guess Santa thought me unworthy
Good idea testing runout prior to a new install.