2 Buy or Not 2 Buy: G37S Sedan F&R Shocks, Rear Springs & 370z Front Springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 02:09 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
Question 2 Buy or Not 2 Buy: G37S Sedan F&R Shocks, Rear Springs & 370z Front Springs

HELP

I'm interested in purchasing a set of 370z front springs, G37S shocks & G37S rear springs off of a G37S sedan from seller on forum.
They have about 23K miles on them.

The 370z will give me a 7/8" drop in front & 5/8" in the rear.
In order for the rear springs to be level, I'll need to shave 5/8" off of the stock rear rubber strut mount.

The seller also is not including the top f&r top hats, so I would need to re-use my stock ones.

My question is that I have a G37xS and would like to know if I should do it or not?

Here a link from G35Driver regarding this install/results:
370Z springs experiment - G35Driver

DIY: Spring Mount Shaving/Cutting:
http://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-s...mount-mod.html

Please advise!

Last edited by dragion; 02-06-2013 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:47 AM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
I believe it'll give you more of a drop on the X as it sits higher from the factory than the S RWD model. The AWD is also slightly heavier so it may settle a little lower as well. Since you'd be getting the shocks as well and the price isn't bad you could always get them and give it a try pretty easily with a direct swap out DIY. If you don't like it then re-sell them for a loss on shipping.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:54 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
IMO you'd be better off going w/ a full set of Z springs or just go w/ Swifts. Don't really like the idea of shaving the rear mount, it provides some extra cushion & sound insulation back there.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:14 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I am an early adopter in that spring experiment thread. I ran my 07x on them and there where no issues at all...none.
Lowered 07 G35X and a new smile - G35Driver

That said, I would recommend going with the swifts.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:16 PM
blackgp2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
waste of time and money just get some eibachs

got mine from autoanything
Old 02-07-2013, 12:11 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BLamb
I believe it'll give you more of a drop on the X as it sits higher from the factory than the S RWD model. The AWD is also slightly heavier so it may settle a little lower as well. Since you'd be getting the shocks as well and the price isn't bad you could always get them and give it a try pretty easily with a direct swap out DIY. If you don't like it then re-sell them for a loss on shipping.
Thanks for your input on the extra drop due to the AWD weight difference.

Originally Posted by blnewt
IMO you'd be better off going w/ a full set of Z springs or just go w/ Swifts. Don't really like the idea of shaving the rear mount, it provides some extra cushion & sound insulation back there.
Unfortunately, the rear Z springs are too short and won't fit the G...I'm a bit unsure about shaving the rear mount myself.
This is why I'm asking for some advice...thanks!

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
I am an early adopter in that spring experiment thread. I ran my 07x on them and there where no issues at all...none.
Lowered 07 G35X and a new smile - G35Driver

That said, I would recommend going with the swifts.
I know you ran these and was very interested in your thoughts regarding this set up...glad you replied here.

So in your opinion, I should consider going with the Swift's instead of this?

Originally Posted by blackgp2006
waste of time and money just get some eibachs

got mine from autoanything
Eibachs don't have a correct fitment for the G37x Sedan and I have considered purchasing a set, but decided against it.
Had a couple of bad experiences with Eibachs in the past with my FX's...two sets "snapped" on me.
Ended going with H&R's...no problems!

I'm really undecided if I should lower or not...wife says "NO", but thought I could get away with the minimum drop and she wouldn't really notice.

With the front 370Z, S rear & S front/rear shocks, I'm wondering if it would be much closer to the G37S suspension?
I'm trying to keep everything as close to stock as possible, but with some improvement over stock.

Due to the AWD weight, will these be actually lower in the front then if I went with Swifts?

Need more feedback...
Old 02-07-2013, 12:25 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

You always put a lot of thought and research in to your mods Dragion, definitely the right way to go about it. That said, IMO the Swifts are just about perfect for what you're after, the drop isn't excessive and from all I've read the springs are really set up for comfort rather than being extra firm. I think they'd be the perfect choice for you and w/ the drop being on the small side no need for added expense w/ camber/toe kits (to keep the wife happy w/ the budget). If that's not an issue then you may want to look into coilovers and get the exact height you want and the comfort level exactly to your liking.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 AM
dragion
Registered Member

You always put a lot of thought and research in to your mods Dragion, definitely the right way to go about it. That said, IMO the Swifts are just about perfect for what you're after, the drop isn't excessive and from all I've read the springs are really set up for comfort rather than being extra firm. I think they'd be the perfect choice for you and w/ the drop being on the small side no need for added expense w/ camber/toe kits (to keep the wife happy w/ the budget). If that's not an issue then you may want to look into coilovers and get the exact height you want and the comfort level exactly to your liking.
Thanks newt!

I'm wondering if the Swift's drop will be about the same as with this set up?
All my previous vehicles were lowered and feel strange not doing so in the G37.

I'm just trying to avoid all the issues of camber, toe & alignment problems that usually required with a lowered vehicle.

I'm not in any rush to lower the G, since it is still winter and we are expecting a huge NorEaster snow storm starting tomorrow.
I'm on a very tight budget, due to being out of work on disability at the moment...not knowing when/if I'm able to return.

Decisions...decisions!
Old 02-07-2013, 11:44 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Question:

Any idea if the shocks/struts from the G37S will fit the G37xS?
I know they are different parts and wondering if they are exchangeable?
Old 02-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Abramite
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't think so, I thought the X had different mounts in the front due to the drive shafts, but the rears should work.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:50 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by dragion
Question:

Any idea if the shocks/struts from the G37S will fit the G37xS?
I know they are different parts and wondering if they are exchangeable?
I'm pretty sure you're out of luck w/ the fronts as they have a different lower mount, rears should be fine AFAIK.
As far as needing camber/toe kits w/ Swifts, seems to be the consensus that you can get it in spec (or damn close) w/ stock parts.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:24 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Abramite
I don't think so, I thought the X had different mounts in the front due to the drive shafts, but the rears should work.
I'm pretty sure you're out of luck w/ the fronts as they have a different lower mount, rears should be fine AFAIK.
As far as needing camber/toe kits w/ Swifts, seems to be the consensus that you can get it in spec (or damn close) w/ stock parts.
Thanks for the helpful advice.
Looks like this might change things a bit.

Is it ok/safe to just use the rear G37S shock?

I guess that I can just use my stock struts/shocks and just use the 370z spring & S spring.
Need to talk to seller and see if the price can be adjusted accordingly...see if it will be worth the trouble.

If price is good, then I'll bite.
If not, I'll have to really figure out if I can juggle the Swifts into my budget!

Worst comes to worst, I'll stay stock.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:23 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Thanks for the helpful advice.
Looks like this might change things a bit.

Is it ok/safe to just use the rear G37S shock?

I guess that I can just use my stock struts/shocks and just use the 370z spring & S spring.
Need to talk to seller and see if the price can be adjusted accordingly...see if it will be worth the trouble.

If price is good, then I'll bite.
If not, I'll have to really figure out if I can juggle the Swifts into my budget!

Worst comes to worst, I'll stay stock.
IMO you're taking your time building up your G just the way you want it, not cutting corners. IMO if you just wait a bit to get the Swifts in your budget it would be time well spent. The Z & S combo wasn't designed for your X, the Swifts are, and all the reviews I've seen on them are very positive for just a spring kit, more positive than just about any set of reviews I've read for other lowering springs. If you go w/ the mixed set, shave the mounts and don't like it then you'll have those mixed sets to try to sell and you'll have shaved spring mounts that you'll need to replace if you want another set of springs later. Just my 2cs
Old 02-08-2013, 11:06 PM
dragion
Registered Member

IMO you're taking your time building up your G just the way you want it, not cutting corners. IMO if you just wait a bit to get the Swifts in your budget it would be time well spent. The Z & S combo wasn't designed for your X, the Swifts are, and all the reviews I've seen on them are very positive for just a spring kit, more positive than just about any set of reviews I've read for other lowering springs. If you go w/ the mixed set, shave the mounts and don't like it then you'll have those mixed sets to try to sell and you'll have shaved spring mounts that you'll need to replace if you want another set of springs later. Just my 2cs
Thanks again for the wise information!

I really do research thoroughly when it comes to modification to my vehicles and try to make the best decisions on the very first time.

My first choice would be going with the Swift springs if my situation was ideal, but at $500+ including install is a bit out of the picture.

The seller is selling the 370z/G37S set up for $140 shipped...it would be about almost $200 savings difference.
I'm requesting a price adjustment, due to front sport struts not compatible with the AWD...still haven't received a response.

According to the responses from seller and rpm&my_G35, they didn't experience any issues with set up.

If rpm&my_G35 could respond with more details regarding the ride due to the shaved rear mount and any other details that I should be aware of...plus how does the 370z/G37S set up compare to the Swift's?
PM if you want.

Don't want to keep asking so many questions to seller and leave sale hanging...need to make a decision.

Hate to purchase and find out issues/problems with it and have to re-sell...will be very difficult to find a buyer for this.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:50 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Thanks again for the wise information!

I really do research thoroughly when it comes to modification to my vehicles and try to make the best decisions on the very first time.

My first choice would be going with the Swift springs if my situation was ideal, but at $500+ including install is a bit out of the picture.

The seller is selling the 370z/G37S set up for $140 shipped...it would be about almost $200 savings difference.
I'm requesting a price adjustment, due to front sport struts not compatible with the AWD...still haven't received a response.

According to the responses from seller and rpm&my_G35, they didn't experience any issues with set up.

If rpm&my_G35 could respond with more details regarding the ride due to the shaved rear mount and any other details that I should be aware of...plus how does the 370z/G37S set up compare to the Swift's?
PM if you want.

Don't want to keep asking so many questions to seller and leave sale hanging...need to make a decision.

Hate to purchase and find out issues/problems with it and have to re-sell...will be very difficult to find a buyer for this.
Damn, I had no idea the Swifts were $500, I see why you've been on the fence, that's getting closer to coilover territory.

rpm&my_G35 is a great resource, he's helped me along the modding trail and knows his stuff, hopefully he can answer any concerns you may have. Good luck w/ whatever you go with, should look great either way

Quick Reply: 2 Buy or Not 2 Buy: G37S Sedan F&R Shocks, Rear Springs & 370z Front Springs