Whats better? Caliper covers or Caliper paint?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 12:01 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Newt, I've used these pics before to show someone results when properly painting calipers. Love the little Infiniti logo... nice touch. The non-sport rotors are kind of tiny, but so what. What you did with your brakes and these rims looks great. Good job.

Plastic covers are embarrassing. As an alternative, MGP makes a decent set of aluminum covers, but they're very expensive. They look good enough on some domestic cars, but not nearly as good as the OEM Akebono BBK on the RWD Sport Package.
Thanks John, appreciate the kind words
Old 06-22-2012, 12:49 PM
OptimusPrime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how hard is it to see the difference tho when you have covers compared to the real thing? is it pretty obvious? lol
Old 06-22-2012, 01:24 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime
how hard is it to see the difference tho when you have covers compared to the real thing? is it pretty obvious? lol
I can spot it from a mile away, but I'm sure a woman wouldn't be able to tell unless they saw it from an angle (however, they don't even know how to decipher brakes and calipers properly, so that's a moot point). However, even if the match was perfect and you couldn't tell real from fake, it still one of the most poseurish things anyone can do and I'll leave this video below for people who say otherwise.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime
Here's the thing... can you notice them? If your point is to look like you've got nicer brakes, and you can notice the difference, then odds are anybody you're trying to impress (friends or otherwise) will notice too. So caliper covers are a big fail, and a big embarrassment.

Unless you're going for the easier goal, which is to impress the general public as you cruise by the parking lot, or for someone watching your wheels side-by-side on the highway. But these people wouldn't even notice the brakes in the first place. Seriously, the general population... it just isn't on their radar.

On then there's the third motivation, which is a simple visual mod. Trying to improve the looks of your brakes for your own sense of taste. In which case, anything can happen.

So to answer your question: it's very hard to tell the difference for most people, but very easy for the people who would consider the mod. People like yourself.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Redpit

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
On a side note. What's better a real girl or a blow up doll?

Well I guess that's not a fair analogy. A real girl who's a 5 or a blow up doll who's a 10?
Old 06-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Redpit
On a side note. What's better a real girl or a blow up doll?

Well I guess that's not a fair analogy. A real girl who's a 5 or a blow up doll who's a 10?
No, that's a perfect analogy, particularly since the blow-up doll is so much less expensive.

Also, the blow-up doll isn't going to fck you back, just like caliper covers aren't going to help you brake any better.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-22-2012 at 06:51 PM.