Sick of the squealing high performance brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 09:48 PM
whatthefoie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sick of the squealing high performance brakes

My brakes have been squealing quite a bit. i went to the dealership but the tech said he couldnt get a peep out of them, as soon as i leave the lot my brakes squeal.. of course. he said it could be because of dust or that the brakes are cold. it has been a few weeks and the noise is really starting to annoy me. I read around and apparently some dealerships are telling people it is because of some special metal that makes it high performance?

i know nothing about brakes, i believe the rotor is the round disk, caliper is the thing that is over the rotor, and the pad is between the caliper and rotor? sorry please help..

anyway what do i need to replace to get rid of the squeal? i dont want to spend too much money so would replacing only the pads suffice?
Old 04-19-2012, 09:53 PM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
thats bs, my brakes never squealed. If you car is new, take it to a different dealer and demand they get that fixed.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:57 PM
whatthefoie

Originally Posted by wlmngtn
thats bs, my brakes never squealed. If you car is new, take it to a different dealer and demand they get that fixed.
my car has 18k miles, i guess i could try a different dealership and see what they say..
Old 04-20-2012, 12:11 AM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
There s actually some truth to what they are telling you. Part of it has to do with the stock brake pad compound versus our rotors and the other depend on whether or not you initially bedded your brakes. Our OEM BBK is more prone to the squealing, I know since mine have squealed since almost day one. I progressively got worse and every time I took it i was given the same answer. Hell, there's a few porsche 911 turbo around here with their BBK that squeal pretty bad. Breaking in your rotors/pad is paramount.

I would recommend trying to bed you brakes first. All you have to do is find a deserted stretch of road and roll up to 45mph and brake down to 5mph without ever stopping completely and repeat 10-15 times. Then pull over and let your rotor cool down completely. The point of this exercise is to transfer material from your pads onto the rotors. That should help/eliminate the problem.

If that doesn't work then you'll have to at least switch pads to Hawks or Project Mu. They are low dust and do complete the break in steps I outlined above. I personally replaced both rotors/pads, did the break in steps and no more squealing.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:09 PM
whatthefoie

Originally Posted by soolman32
There s actually some truth to what they are telling you. Part of it has to do with the stock brake pad compound versus our rotors and the other depend on whether or not you initially bedded your brakes. Our OEM BBK is more prone to the squealing, I know since mine have squealed since almost day one. I progressively got worse and every time I took it i was given the same answer. Hell, there's a few porsche 911 turbo around here with their BBK that squeal pretty bad. Breaking in your rotors/pad is paramount.

I would recommend trying to bed you brakes first. All you have to do is find a deserted stretch of road and roll up to 45mph and brake down to 5mph without ever stopping completely and repeat 10-15 times. Then pull over and let your rotor cool down completely. The point of this exercise is to transfer material from your pads onto the rotors. That should help/eliminate the problem.

If that doesn't work then you'll have to at least switch pads to Hawks or Project Mu. They are low dust and do complete the break in steps I outlined above. I personally replaced both rotors/pads, did the break in steps and no more squealing.
Wow thanks for the reply, i will definitely try this and see how it goes..
Old 04-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
Do what soolman32 said, but i'd suggest maybe cleaning the rotors off with a brilo pad and some brake cleaner first. Then do the bedding. Sometimes material can stick to the rotors.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 PM
bat6wc

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by whatthefoie
My brakes have been squealing quite a bit. i went to the dealership but the tech said he couldnt get a peep out of them, as soon as i leave the lot my brakes squeal.. of course. he said it could be because of dust or that the brakes are cold. it has been a few weeks and the noise is really starting to annoy me. I read around and apparently some dealerships are telling people it is because of some special metal that makes it high performance?

i know nothing about brakes, i believe the rotor is the round disk, caliper is the thing that is over the rotor, and the pad is between the caliper and rotor? sorry please help..

anyway what do i need to replace to get rid of the squeal? i dont want to spend too much money so would replacing only the pads suffice?
bringing this back, Ive had this issue for quite some time now and the dealer says the same thing and claims its normal. Its to the point where EVERY time i apply light pressure they squeal. its driving me crazy.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:33 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
upgrading brake pads might do the trick!

btw, squealing isnt a bad thing! when you have metal on metal its gonna inevitably squeal. there's something about the oem pad compound; the organic does like oem rotors or something. what im trying to say is that if your worried about the health of your car/brakes, you shouldn't have to, squealing is normal. but if youre worried that it's embarrasing, annoying, etc... then by all means go aftermarket. also... racing brake pad compounds squeal. a lot. why? because RACECAR!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:32 PM
pmsold

I have the same problem in my 08 37S. i then thought I would be bright and appply stop queal to the back of the rear pad that was squealing. I then got air in my system and have been battling the bubble ever since.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:49 PM
davidchuck

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
recently purchased 08 G37S

So I'm new to G37 ownership and to this forum... but I had a very interesting experience that I wanted to share.
I took my G to the local indy shop for a MT flush and to bleed both the brake and clutch systems. Not to mention I needed rear brakes as the dealership PPI informed me the rear pads only had 3mm left!
So I shopped around for different brake pad recommendations and ended up purchasing OEM Akebono pads.
I was there with the mechanic as he worked on the various items and finally got around to switching out the pads. He didn't resurface the rotors and informed me that most of the time it's unnecessary and that's what leads to thinning rotors which in turn leads to warped rotors.
After all the service was completed I drove my car home and was disappointed at the SQUEALING rear brakes! Even at 30 mph it was awful! Especially when coming to a near stop... so embarrassing. I called the shop and they said to give it a while for the new pads to bed-in to the rotors.
Upon inspecting the old pads I noticed the shims were still on them as well as that little packet of brake compound. I borrowed a buddy's jack and took out the new pads to examine them, and sure enough they weren't shipped with new shims. I put the shims back on them and applied a smooth layer of brake compound to the entire back surface of the brake pad and in between the shims. Re-installed the pads and took her for a spin.
WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Absolutely no squealing whatsoever! Even went through the drive-thru for some celebratory ice cream and it didn't make a peep even with the windows down.
If your brakes are making any noise at all, I recommend confirming the shims are in there and have a good amount of brake grease/compound or whatever that gray paste is that ships with new pads. Night vs. day difference.

FYI- there is a great YouTube video of someone replacing rear pads on an 09 G37 coupe. I learned about the importance of cleaning the shims and using ample compound from that vid.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:14 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Hey David, nice post, glad you got them working properly and are happy w/ the results
Welcome to the site too!